MFT - Radio features | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT - Radio features

oakjefferson

Reaction score
I can't seem for the life me to find any info on what MFT bring to the table (current or 2nd gen coming out soon) for siradio.

- I think you can tag x # of songs so the radio pings you to change the channel when it's playing elsewhere on sirius (is this correct?)

- Is there a hard drive to record songs you like on Sirius?

- Does HD radio only have to do with traditional radio - Sirius is already HD?

- Can you download music on to a hard drive?

- Anything else feature wise the system provides? I love to be able to channel scan on the steering wheel 1 by 1, hate having only access to 18 preset channels without looking at the screen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't seem for the life me to find any info on what MFT bring to the table (current or 2nd gen coming out soon) for siradio.

- I think you can tag x # of songs so the radio pings you to change the channel when it's playing elsewhere on sirius (is this correct?)

- Is there a hard drive to record songs you like on Sirius?

- Does HD radio only have to do with traditional radio - Sirius is already HD?

- Can you download music on to a hard drive?

- Anything else feature wise the system provides? I love to be able to channel scan on the steering wheel 1 by 1, hate having only access to 18 preset channels without looking at the screen.

1. YES (I believe)
2. NO
3. HD radio is high quality and FREE local broadcast radio. HD radio is FAR superior to Sirius. Sirius is highly distorted and compressed and really sounds poor IMHO (worse than traditional FM). HD radio is very nice sound quality. Most local FM broadcast stations have HD radio equivalents. I should add that the Sony sound system ROCKS (as the Sony is the only one with HD radio).
4. NO harddrive on the Explorer, but there are plenty of USB ports where you can add an external harddrive if you'd like. The MFT/Sync system indexes it so that you can search for music using voice commands.

My Ford Touch brings the giant touch-screen display in the center stack as well as LCD screens in the instrument cluster - it;'s also a requirement for getting the on-board navigation (I don't mean the turn-by-turn stuff thru synch that some dealers refer to as Navigation). Note that the on-board navigation (e.g., where you see a map on the display) is a seperate option from MFT and costs more.

You can "alert" songs/artists when listening to Sirius radio. So that the next time that song or artist is played on any Sirius station, you are alerted and given the option to switch over and listen to it.

When listening to HD Radio (for those FM stations that broadcast in HD) you can "tag" a song. If you do and have a iPod or iPhone connected, the next time you sync that device, iTunes will ask you if you would like to purcahse that song.

I THINK the 2010 Fords had an option for a hard drive, but they are no longer an option. There is no way to record audio to your Explorer using the factory system.

Cool, thanks for the answers.

regarding tagging for future purchase - does that work with Sirius? I don't listen to FM as I can hear the same song 9 times a day on my ipod :) . Often on Sirius though there are songs you want to remember for getting later on

You are unable to "tag" while listening to Sirius. The "tag" feature only works with FM HD stations.

If you have a smart phone, you could use an app like Shazam to tag the song, get all the song info and then next time you are back in front of your computer pull up that list and purcahse them. Not as effective, but it works.

You are unable to "tag" while listening to Sirius. The "tag" feature only works with FM HD stations.

Depends on what you mean by tag. You CAN tag songs or artist on Sirius on MFT and it will alert you when the artist or song you tag plays on one of the other Sirius channels...

When listening to HD Radio (for those FM stations that broadcast in HD) you can "tag" a song. If you do and have a iPod or iPhone connected, the next time you sync that device, iTunes will ask you if you would like to purcahse that song.
Unfortunately HD Radio is not available on Canadian Explorers.

Peter

peterk9 said:
Unfortunately HD Radio is not available on Canadian Explorers.

Peter

Hi Peter, I was trying to find an answer for this for a while now. When you say HD is not available on Canadian exolorer is it because there is no HD radio in Canada or this feature is disabled in our explorers?

Hi Peter, I was trying to find an answer for this for a while now. When you say HD is not available on Canadian exolorer is it because there is no HD radio in Canada or this feature is disabled in our explorers?
I also did some Internet searching on the topic and it seems a bit unclear. I didn't find any up-to-date info on it. Not saying it isn't there. I think there are probaly some HD stations in Canada but our Explorers don't seem to have the setup for it. At least not my 2011. When I follow the MyFord Touch MyLincoln Touch Supplement instructions to set the TAG feature to ON. That option doesn't appear to be there. I also thought I read somewhere that HD is not available here but I can't remember where I saw that. The supplememnt says to go to www.hdradio.com for more info and when I went there and clicked on International, it showed Canada as "Testing/Advanced Interest".

Peter

Back