• Register Today It's free!

Oil Found In Air Filter

Andrey888

Reaction score
City, State
Odessa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Lim 302A
When replacing the fan, I found the engine oil from entering the air collector. Engine oil flows into the breather valve of the engine box. Mileage 21000 km. What is this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Engine oil flows to the air vent and air filter.

When replacing the fan, I found the engine oil from entering the air collector. Engine oil flows into the breather valve of the engine box. Mileage 21000 km. What is this?
Andrey, what model are you referring to. This is the 2011 and 2012 Ford Explorer forum. The reason I ask is that I'm curious as to why you would be replacing a fan on a vehicle likely still under warranty.

Peter

5 Explorer (2011) I have no guarantees in Ukraine. Exp we have not sold yet.
Oil is driving into the duct. What is the cause?

I am not sure if the cause is known at this point, but that sounds like what is happening to those who have the burning oil smell during hard acceleration.

If you read the thread I linked, it appears Ford is aware of the problem and is in the process of engineering a fix.

Here is what it says on www.fordparts.com

Part Name: PCV Valve
Part Number: 6A666 (EV-257)
Part Description: 3.5L V6 Cyclone TIVCT ; Less Electric Heated PCV

Peter
Thank you Peter. But exactly what the problem is this valve? Ford is determined?

Thank you Peter. But exactly what the problem is this valve? Ford is determined?
As far as I know, there is no problem with the PVC valve. Apparently pressure is causing oil to leak into an air filter which then could drop onto the exhaust. There is a lot of discussion on this in the thread; Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration.

Peter

As far as I know, there is no problem with the PVC valve. Apparently pressure is causing oil to leak into an air filter which then could drop onto the exhaust. There is a lot of discussion on this in the thread; Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration.

Peter
Thank you Peter. Read it now.

Yes, the engine oil dripping on the exhaust manifold, through the holes in the bottom of the air filter box. I do not feel the smell, since I installed a carbon filter cabin
When and where to say about the cause?

Engine Oil where it shouldn't be -help please-

2012 Explorer XLT with 3.5L V6 engine 19,050 miles: While replacing the air filter, I just discovered pooled oil throughout the length of the rubber intake duct from the intake body (butterfly) nearly right up to the airbox. The engine oil + filter has been changed regularly between every 4,000 to 5,000 miles (not gonna debate about the validity of the: "Oil Life Monitor System" here) and the oil quantity has been meticulously maintained no higher than midway between the min/max level holes on the dipstick. We've never noticed any drop in oil level or any external leakage. No burnt oil fumes/smoke from the exhaust either. As the vehicle is still under warranty, I will be scheduling an appointment ASAP but in the meantime, has anyone else experienced this condition or have any possible causes? This is my first post so, I apologize if this is the wrong location or if this subject exists somewhere else within the forum. I have 2 photos but can't seem to attach them. Any & all help is GREATLY appreciated!

I recall reading somewhere around here that others have experienced the same issue. I wish I could remember more, but what you describe is familiar.

VinceL

Thanks for the comment, similiar occurrences or any other owners with knowledge of this condition is what I'm trying to determine while I'm waiting to get it into the dealership. I just haven't been able to locate this anywhere else.

Thanks

2012 Explorer XLT with 3.5L V6 engine 19,050 miles: While replacing the air filter, I just discovered pooled oil throughout the length of the rubber intake duct from the intake body (butterfly) nearly right up to the airbox. The engine oil + filter has been changed regularly between every 4,000 to 5,000 miles (not gonna debate about the validity of the: "Oil Life Monitor System" here) and the oil quantity has been meticulously maintained no higher than midway between the min/max level holes on the dipstick. We've never noticed any drop in oil level or any external leakage. No burnt oil fumes/smoke from the exhaust either. As the vehicle is still under warranty, I will be scheduling an appointment ASAP but in the meantime, has anyone else experienced this condition or have any possible causes? This is my first post so, I apologize if this is the wrong location or if this subject exists somewhere else within the forum. I have 2 photos but can't seem to attach them. Any & all help is GREATLY appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum 12WIExplorerXLT.:wavey:
I don't do my own maintenance so I can't say if this oil is normal or not. I wouldn't think so. Perhaps some other member will have an answer.

Peter

I recall reading somewhere around here that others have experienced the same issue. I wish I could remember more, but what you describe is familiar.
Don't fret Vince. It happens to most of us as we 'mature'. ;)

Peter

Not a big deal unless it's lots of oil. My F150 gets oil in the breather if I run it hard. I also have a Kawasaki Vulcan that is notorious for getting oil in the breather.If no smoking or loss of oil in the sump occurs I would not worry about it. Perfectly normal for some motors.
Back in the day we used to have "oil bath" air breathers.

Thanks for all the input. The amount of oil throughout the intake duct and at the throttle body did seem excessive to me at the time.
I just dropped it off at the shop and after showing the service rep the pics (I couldn't post for you guys,) he did say he's never: "heard of" or "seen" this issue before. Once I get an explanation/resolution, I'll post further. More to come.....

Issue resolved! The problem stemmed from the design of the 2011-2012 valve cover vent tube that connects directly to the air intake tube. This was the first occurrence our dealership has encountered and as such they contacted the Ford Hotline for guidance. Ford advised: replacing the valve cover to incorporate the latest design of the vent tube which now has an internal baffle to prevent oil from migrating all the way up to the air intake tube and to the throttle body. Valve cover was replaced and we'll monitor it regularly from now on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil in intake and other issues

Hey Guys,

Our 2011 Explorer 3.5 has oil in the intake tube, a good amount.
Found it when I was checking air filter, anyone else have this?

Truck is sitting at dealership as the Active Park assist wont work, they replaced all sensors and a steering rack, still cant figure it out.

Its the 4th trip into the dealer for the park assist, getting old quick lol

Back