Possibly Getting out of Wheeling. . . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possibly Getting out of Wheeling. . .

KPSquared

Reaction score
City, State
Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
Hey guys, It's been a long time since I spent time on here.

It pains me to say that I may be pulling the plug on wheeling as a hobby. I just can't seem to find the time nor the funds to be as involved as I would like to be. Still just weighing the options at this point, but it seems more likely than not.

That being said, are people still trying to build wheelers out of first Gen Exploders? If I actually pull the pin I'll probably part out my truck. I guess this is kind of like a "feeler thread" to gauge interest in my parts. If it looks like I would have a hard time moving stuff, then I'll just maybe keep it and tinker as I have time. . .

Either way, I have a set of brand new James Duff SAS coil buckets, used 4.88's for both axles, used 5.5" superlift with the rear SOA mounts, and a bunch of other bits and pieces. If there is much interest in these sorts of things, let me know. I've kinda just listed the stuff that wouldn't suck to ship. I'll have a set of 5 American Racing AR767 15x8 wheels and 4 35x12.50 Cooper Discoverer STT's, but getting that stuff shipped would probably suck.

If anyone is thinking about building a project, then I'll pony up, become elite on here and put up some proper "for sale" threads.

Mods, if this thread is out of line as far as the selling stuff goes, just get rid of it and I'll be back when I make my final decision. . .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tend to cycle in and out of hobbies, in a few years you might get back into it.

I'd be into the gears and lockers depending on the price.

That's tough. I'll use my situation as my opinion. I don't have a rig right now, and have missed out on a lot of trips with friends. If your truck is paid for, keep it with minimal insurance and only drive it as a toy. You probably won't be able to find another rig built similar for the same money. That way, when you want to go froadin', you can.

I sold my explorer 2 years ago and bought another truck to build. Well I lost my job back then and now I don't have the money to build up the "new" one until I get the funds. So, it's sitting in the garage acting as a shelf and if I kept my explorer I would still be using it.

..Sorry to hear this..:(

..I'm kinda in the same boat but I have kept my trucks as they would be hard to find similar replacement trucks later for the price..

..This allows me to also pay for "Elite" status here..Should I decide to sell or part them out, that is taken care of so no grey area there..;)

..Kind of making the best out of a bad situation and when the economy changes it will be much better.

Hey if your wanting to really get rid of that stuff I wouldn't mind getting some prices pm me about it.

I'm building a budget wheeler out of my first gen sploder sport in Red Deer. Is that 5.5" superlift a TTB lift? Also looking for other random bits a pieces if you decide to part it out

I keep thinking I should just keep it but maybe it would make someone else happy. I just need to mull on it for a while.

None of my good friends wheel anymore. I have to drive a minimum of 3-4 hours to good, legal wheeling spots. I just can't find the time.

A bunch of my buddies are into dual-sport/adventure bikes now. Might just go that direction instead. Probably won't make any final decisions until my garage is done this summer. That will free up some time and then we'll see. . .

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll keep you posted.

BMW 800 GS. Ride one. You'll see you can have both. Used they are very affordable. Some good dual sport tires and you'll be able to more than hang with the sportys and the dirt. Nearly everybody that rides one, buys it and loves it. Every thing a bike should be. Drag it behind the Ex for those 3-4 hour drives and take the bike back there too. If your are of low stature, you can get lower seats that bolt on.

BMW 800 GS. Ride one. You'll see you can have both. Used they are very affordable. Some good dual sport tires and you'll be able to more than hang with the sportys and the dirt. Nearly everybody that rides one, buys it and loves it. Every thing a bike should be. Drag it behind the Ex for those 3-4 hour drives and take the bike back there too. If your are of low stature, you can get lower seats that bolt on.

Funny, I came about as close to buying one as you could come without doing it a couple years back. I researched the heck out of them and if I were going to buy a dual purpose that would be it. Sharp styling, fuel injected, dual disc on front... nice. Bought a V Max instead.

You don't need a dedicated trail-only rig to enjoy wheeling. An Explorer with mild mods can make an excellent weekend wheeler as well as a daily driver.

You could sell off the lift/tires/gears/etc and maybe get some 31's with 3.73/4.10s instead, or just sell the whole thing and get something newer to mod a little. Bikes and ATVs are a pretty good option too, you can trailer them to wheeling spots and have a lot of fun on a smaller scale ride.

I would be interested in the jd stuff like the upper coil buckets with dual shocks if you have them.i have a DRZ 400sm and love that bike;)

Back