• Register Today It's free!

Bad Customer Service Experience

oneofayykind

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I have been extremely disappointed in how Ford is handling the issues with their Sync system. I'm a previous Range Rover owner who decided to trade in my 07 Rover for a new Explorer about 8 months ago. I made the switch because I didn't want to spend what we spent on the Rover this time around, and loved the idea of the Sync system. I also loved all the changes Ford made to their lineup and have heard nothing but great things this past year about Ford. I told myself long ago I would never buy an American made car again after the issues I had in college with my Chevy Blazer, but I went against my word and decided to give Ford another shot and what a mistake it has been.

This Sync system has been reset by different Ford dealers 3 times now and the first time they actually said they replaced something that had burned out when my screen went black. I've also brought it in to be updated once or twice now, and never has Ford been transparent with their updates/upgrades and I've known what they have done to fix any issues. I was recently told that Ford now is promising their dealers a mid year long term fix to this issue and that it's quite possible the issue will happen again. I wonder if the "long term fix" is even 3-4 months out or if this is Ford's way if dealing with the issue to curb angry customers.

My biggest issues hasn't even been with the Sync system blacking out and needing to be reset at the dealer, but rather the fact that after I moved out of the state I bought my Ford in, I now need to rent a car while getting these issues fixed. Ford is asking me to spend my own money to rent a car while having my known issue fixed. I have called every dealer in my area and no dealer provides loaner cars to their Ford customers unless you bought the car their. I don't know why I expected anything less though to be honest and I think it's a shame. I'm one Ford customer that came back to Ford to give them another shot, but won't make that same mistake when my lease it up. The folks at the service desk while calling to make an appointment, and when coming to drop off and pick up the vehicle, are extremely rude. They made me go find my car in the lot in the dark when I picked the vehicle up. And the list goes on and on. I hope others out there who have made the same decision I have will think twice before buying another Ford in the future. You don't get the same customer service from Ford that you would from a foreign auto maker like Lexus or Range Rover. Yes you are paying a little more for a Lexus than you are a Ford, but I still dropped 42k on a loaded Explorer and would appreciate better service.

Am I the only one who feels like Ford doesn't care here? Is 42k not enough money to spend these days to get the white glove treatment I think you should expect to receive? I've decided to write a formal written complaint to Ford corporate but I figured I would post on here to see what all the Ford owners of the world think.

Sorry for the long rant
-New Ford Owner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmmmm..... White glove treatment. I've never had that with any domestic dealer. I admit that I have been treated extremely well at the Ford dealer I am with. But I never had the illusion that they would pull my car around and do the things they do at BMW or Lexus dealers. Here in Canada some of the Ford dealers will actually wash and vacuum your car out after service. They place paper mats on the floor and seat when providing service. I understand your frustration. However, this is a Ford dealer we are talking about here. This is the working mans car dealership. The blue collar workers dealer. It isn't some high falutent, snooty dealership. If you think their service sucks, pop into Hyundai. Rude isn't the word for those monkey's. Experiences are all based upon individual dealerships. You get ones that place importance on customer satisfaction and service. Then you get ones that focus on screwing people over and ripping people off. I personally think Ford should punish dealerships for the amount of complaints lodged against them. There isn't much that can be done, except to boycott them. I'm not extremely over joyed with my experience in the first year. I love the Ex. Pesonally, my dealership has made my experience a little more bearable. Things are starting to look up actually. A pillars are fixed. Rain noise is gone. MFT is working exceptionally well. I'm getting excellent mileage, I love the fit and finish. It's just the little things that can send a person over the edge. Crappy service would do this. Service is the only thing keeping me happy right now. So I don't blame you for being pissed. Hit em where it hurts. The pocket book. Tell them you're going to tell all your friends and co-workers to avoid them, and do that. I hope you can find some kind of happiness with the time you have left with your vehicle. It truly is an amazing vehicle when it is working correctly. If they fix all the bugs by 2014 I might just buy another one. We'll see how things go. I'm really eyeing up an F 350 with MFT. It's time for us to buy a new pick up. I hope to baby Jeebus they fix it. Cause I love the system.

Sorry to hear of your issues. I'm not sure what the problem is with your dealers, but I've never had a problem getting a rental and the dealers in this area have been very kind.

As far as the My Ford Touch issues, not sure if you heard or not, but there is a new update available that just came out late last week. See the other threads. Unfortunately, there is some confusion as to ways to obtain the update. This should be sorted out shortly.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you contact Corey. He's a Ford Customer Service guru who has been known to assist many a member with their issues. You can send him a private message at the username: FordCustSrvc

He monitors these forums and assists if he can.

I have been extremely disappointed in how Ford is handling the issues with their Sync system. I'm a previous Range Rover owner who decided to trade in my 07 Rover for a new Explorer about 8 months ago. I made the switch because I didn't want to spend what we spent on the Rover this time around, and loved the idea of the Sync system. I also loved all the changes Ford made to their lineup and have heard nothing but great things this past year about Ford. I told myself long ago I would never buy an American made car again after the issues I had in college with my Chevy Blazer, but I went against my word and decided to give Ford another shot and what a mistake it has been.

This Sync system has been reset by different Ford dealers 3 times now and the first time they actually said they replaced something that had burned out when my screen went black. I've also brought it in to be updated once or twice now, and never has Ford been transparent with their updates/upgrades and I've known what they have done to fix any issues. I was recently told that Ford now is promising their dealers a mid year long term fix to this issue and that it's quite possible the issue will happen again. I wonder if the "long term fix" is even 3-4 months out or if this is Ford's way if dealing with the issue to curb angry customers.

My biggest issues hasn't even been with the Sync system blacking out and needing to be reset at the dealer, but rather the fact that after I moved out of the state I bought my Ford in, I now need to rent a car while getting these issues fixed. Ford is asking me to spend my own money to rent a car while having my known issue fixed. I have called every dealer in my area and no dealer provides loaner cars to their Ford customers unless you bought the car their. I don't know why I expected anything less though to be honest and I think it's a shame. I'm one Ford customer that came back to Ford to give them another shot, but won't make that same mistake when my lease it up. The folks at the service desk while calling to make an appointment, and when coming to drop off and pick up the vehicle, are extremely rude. They made me go find my car in the lot in the dark when I picked the vehicle up. And the list goes on and on. I hope others out there who have made the same decision I have will think twice before buying another Ford in the future. You don't get the same customer service from Ford that you would from a foreign auto maker like Lexus or Range Rover. Yes you are paying a little more for a Lexus than you are a Ford, but I still dropped 42k on a loaded Explorer and would appreciate better service.

Am I the only one who feels like Ford doesn't care here? Is 42k not enough money to spend these days to get the white glove treatment I think you should expect to receive? I've decided to write a formal written complaint to Ford corporate but I figured I would post on here to see what all the Ford owners of the world think.

Sorry for the long rant
-New Ford Owner

I think your comments are very accurate and I agree.

Just the simple fact that people are being told by Ford to wait a year for a fix to a system they paid for when they bought vehicle is ridiculous.

Then tell owners they will have to drop off their vehicle at their own expense to fix that system they paid for is again ridiculous.

Now while rolling out that fix, the confusion is even worse.

I share your frustration, so do many owners.

So why arent people logging a complant on a bad dealer. Your local dealer dosent care what you post on a fourm. I don't understand.

...Am I the only one who feels like Ford doesn't care here?...
I want to reach out and offer my help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

...Things are starting to look up actually. A pillars are fixed. Rain noise is gone. MFT is working exceptionally well. I'm getting excellent mileage, I love the fit and finish...
It’s really great that you’re enjoying your ride, chimoman.

...In the meantime, I'd suggest you contact Corey. He's a Ford Customer Service guru who has been known to assist many a member with their issues...
I really appreciate the shout-out, jrmexplorer! :)

...I share your frustration, so do many owners.
Sgt1411,

I have your details from previous messages, so please don’t hesitate to drop a line via PM for me to lend a hand.

Cory

Enjoying the ride. Not the smozzle though. Ford pooched up. Especially here in the Great White North. Dealers withholding cards and then arguing with customers. To only then get a call telling them what they have to do. This sort of stuff is not acceptable... why isn't there an answer with regard to the early builds? Is it top secret?

Thanks Cory, I know the owners here appreciate the assistance you provide and I in no way wish to "Shoot the messenger" These decisions are made far above you and in no way do you have any control over whats happening with our vehicles or the rollout of the MFT Upgrade.

I buy new vehicles and keep them while they are under warranty so I can limit my trips to the Dealer for repairs (regular maintenance aside). So far the my Ex has been at the dealer more then any other used vehicle I have owned.

Like many owners here on this forum the dealer is starting to give me the "Stink eye" because Im getting so many fixes done, like somehow I asking for something Im not entitled to.

Enjoying the ride. Not the smozzle though. Ford pooched up. Especially here in the Great White North...
chimoman,

It’s great that you’re enjoying your Explorer; I do what I can for my friendly neighbors north of the border.

Thanks Cory, I know the owners here appreciate the assistance you provide and I in no way wish to "Shoot the messenger" ...
Thanks for the clarification, Sgt1411; I appreciate it. :D

Cory

Started out a week ago with Gary Yeoman's Ford, Daytona Beach, Fl. My wife called on 8/10/15 and made an appointment for service on 8/11/15 at 11:00 AM to have our 2014 Ex Limited looked at for the infamous exhaust fumes in cabin thing as well as usual maintenance. Received email confirmation as well. When she arrived the morning of the 11th she pulled into the fast lane, because that is where she is used to going. The adviser told her she needed to be in the service lane, while he was pulling the Ex over to the service lane, a ? mechanic explained to her that she needed to drive with the A/C on max at all times to avoid outside air coming in. She politely told him that was not the repair for the problem , that there are other settings on your A/C for a reason. He just walked away. When my wife went to the service lane to talk to the ? service adviser (Miss Peggy Boyle), my wife told her what the ? mechanic said, and the adviser told her that that was true and that she should have brought the car in early in the morning that they would need it all day and that she would need to reschedule for another day. OK, a day off of work because someone screwed up, nice going, they could have just taken the vehicle in but no, take another day off of work and drive another 30 minutes each way to the dealer. Rescheduled for 8:00 AM 8/20/15 and was told DON'T BE LATE.

I emailed the dealership and explained all the above to them. Received a call from our salesman the next day, no apology, but he said that Mr. Yeoman was aware of the incident and that we were the topic of the morning meeting. Must have been the laughing stock of the morning meeting, please read on.

So my wife arrived at dealership on 8/20/15 15 minutes before scheduled time, and guess who the Adviser was, yep, Miss Peggy Boyle, must not have sunk in the first time because the first words out her mouth was you need to have it on max air to avoid outside air from coming in. My politely said please do not go there again, Miss Peggy Boyle was offended because she handed her off to another adviser. My wife called me to explain again how she was treated, so ask her to find someone for me talk to. Guess who called me, yep, Miss Peggy Boyle. I explained to her that repairing the vehicle for emissions entering the cabin did not include driving with the air on max at all times and do you drive around on max air all the time and she said yes, go figure. So I ask her do you want to repair the vehicle or not and she hung up on me. Nice customer service Mr. Gary Yeoman. That is exactly how you get returning customers.
At this point not only is my wife fuming, but so am I. I called my again and ask that she find a manager to call me. A minute later the service manager called and of course it is blow smoke up my *!! to appease me. I ask the same of him, do you want to repair it or not? And he said he did, so we left the vehicle in their hands, O Boy, warm and fuzzy feeling. My wife received a call that they will have it a couple a days for repair, do to part ordered, wish she would of thought to ask what part and no I am not calling them, best I not talk to them for a day, in order to calm down.

So to go on and on, the ironic thing about this whole thing is that this is my first Ford purchase, because the Chevy Traverse and most all chevys and GMCs were having all the recalls at the time we needed another vehicle. At least GM owned up to their faults. Wow, really rethinking that decision now and was really thinking about purchasing a new F-150 because of the 0% financing going on now, NOT! It is definitely not because we don't like our Ex because we really do.

So we will see if they really do fix it or if it is another stall tactic.

You might want to write a polite letter to the regional mgr for FORD in your area and cc it to the dealer and FORD CS HQ. Wait for a reply and then if you do get satisfaction contact FORD corporate headquarters Office of the President. They will assign someone to your issue.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil !!

Great idea, so how do you find all the contact info for everything you have mentioned.

I would also send a PM to Fordservice on this forum and see if they can intervene in order to smooth things out. Hope things get better

[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] FYI..

Started out a week ago with Gary Yeoman's Ford, Daytona Beach, Fl. My wife called on 8/10/15 and made an appointment for service on 8/11/15 at 11:00 AM to have our 2014 Ex Limited looked at for the infamous exhaust fumes in cabin thing as well as usual maintenance...
Hello neme,

Let me look into this further. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, and best daytime phone number. I’ll document your dealer experience, and loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

I would also send a PM to Fordservice on this forum and see if they can intervene in order to smooth things out. Hope things get better

[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] FYI..
Hello Ford Fam,

Thanks for the mention, and I’m on it! :D

Tricia

Thank you everyone for your help, I think we may be on the right track now.

Let me first say that I have no doubt that you are getting exhaust fumes in the cabin. Also, there may be a problem with a legitimate part that will repair this. However, it has been my experience that no vehicle is immune to this 'problem'. Any time you drive in traffic, whether it be flat surface or especially, following traffic up a hill, you'll be behind someone and their exhaust.

If your windows are rolled up with the A/C on with outside air being circulated into the cab, you get what ever smell is present outside your vehicle. In this case and more often than not, exhaust fumes. This may be your situation, Neme. My advice to avoid this is also to run the A/C in max although I believe there is also an option to just run the A/C with air in recirculation mode, windows up, of course. :)

I too, have had the exhaust fume situation in my Explorer but, I don't think much of it because I've had this happen in every car/truck I've owned. There's really no real fix other than maybe keeping your distance from the cars in front of you. So, unless your Ex has an exhaust leak from the engine compartment, be advised, even that repair will not eliminate all fumes. This is a common problem.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised at the attitude your dealer has given you. A simple explanation may have avoided your troubles. Good luck. :thumbsup:

I am sorry to disagree with you. We have owned a lot new and old vehicles in our lifetime, never have we had exhaust fumes from our own vehicle enter the vehicle like this, and yes I understand what you are talking about with regards to the re circulation settings, use it all the time in traffic. But not for your own vehicle. When you decide to enter interstate or pass someone you should not have to be concerned with changing your AC settings. I and anyone else should not accept this lame excuse that all vehicles do it, not true.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, you are saying this happens every time you accelerate? If there is a problem with exhaust fumes from your Explorer, there will be a fix. But, to put down my explanation to a common situation as lame is not looking at the big picture or you just didn't understand what I said. Not looking for an argument, just stating my experience. 35 years in the industry is also part of my experience. You don't have to agree, just don't discount. Just offering an alternative explanation. :)

Back