Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

OK everyone, sorry for the long post but I think I have a lot of relevant info. First, my Ex is not fixed yet. They are trying a last-ditch solution (which I'll get to in a second) so it's either this fixes it, or it is going back to Dearborn next week (at least that's my current understanding). This is for people who are having problems at start up.
Here's some background info on the truck to frame this issue up: The Ex has a couple of "main" computers that interface with the various modules throughout the truck that they are assigned to. The "main" computers have a set time window during boot up at the initial turn of the key to find all of their assigned modules or they start generating faults. For this issue, the current theory is that the "Body Control Module" (which looks after the TMS) is not finding the TMS within the allotted time limit. According to the dealership, the TMS is actually working, but the BCM is turning off the icon on the TMS selector and showing a "fault" just because it didn't "check-in" on time. So the Ford engineer on site has a new BCM coming for my truck to see if i have a "slow computer." I am hopeful for this fix because it fits the symptoms noticed by the techs: when they pull up any other Ex next to mine and just see how my truck reacts compared to the other. In all cases my truck is "slower" than the others on the lot. The BCM is the controlling computer for the things being "slow". Once again, this is not THE fix yet but the next logical fix once the communication timing issues cropped up.
As a further note for ALL Explorer owners, this communication timing issue was a KNOWN PROBLEM during development. Ford elected to produce the vehicle knowing that this issue could happen. So ALL Explorers on the road have the potential to have this problem. This particular fault only happens during start and not after. If you have a TMS fault pop up while driving along you have a different problem.
I will keep everyone up to date as this effort plays out.
Thanks for the update. Mine has been in the shop for over a week now, but the fault has not popped up. This makes perfect sense to me as I felt from the beginning that this is an electrical hiccup and is hard to isolate. In the same vein, thats why this is listed in the owners manual: Quote from Explorer manual: TERRAIN MANAGEMENT SYSTEM FAULT: If this message is
displayed, cycling the key may clear the fault. If the fault is not cleared
after a key cycle, have the system serviced by an authorized dealer.
So ........ Ford produces the truck and leaves us to our own recourse. Seems the service dept is in the dark and has no clue what is happening. I will enlighten them tomorrow when they call me with a progress report. Will keep everyone updated as to a resolution. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The resolution of my problem Explorer

OK everyone, here's the post we've been waiting for....the resolution to the situation with my truck. To the best of my knowledge, it still isn't fixed. However, my dealership stood up, did the right thing and took it back. Not only that, they gave me a stellar deal on a new vehicle. I wish I could tell what the final fix for this problem is, but I probably will never know. As far as I can tell, changing the BCM was a solid shot a fixing it, but I no longer own the Explorer and I don't miss that particular one. So what did I get? I elected on another Explorer. I believe that the issues I was having with the frequency of the failures is an anomaly. Even if it faults out once in a great while I can live with it. I guess that's what happens when a lot of computers have to coordinate with one another. The 50% fail fate of my previous Explorer was unacceptable.

Kudos and a big thanks to my dealership for doing what is right. I will be back in a few years when I get my F-150.

Note to Ford: Your moral standing when dealing with customers with brand new broken vehicles is lying down.

Hi guys,

In case you missed my post before, I want to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact information, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

OK everyone, here's the post we've been waiting for....the resolution to the situation with my truck. To the best of my knowledge, it still isn't fixed. However, my dealership stood up, did the right thing and took it back. Not only that, they gave me a stellar deal on a new vehicle...
I’m sorry to hear the concern wasn’t resolved for you, HeloMech365. I’m glad your dealer took care of you.

Cory

Hi guys,

In case you missed my post before, I want to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact information, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

I’m sorry to hear the concern wasn’t resolved for you, HeloMech365. I’m glad your dealer took care of you.

Cory
Mine is still in the shop ...... Week two ....... Seems like a lazy selinoid in the rear axle. A replacement is on it's way to the service dept ....... No other info at this time. Cory ..... did you get my pm in regards to same? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up, rmp301; I sent you a reply back.

Cory

Got the Ex back three days ago after a three week stay at the shop. It appeared that the rear axle had a lazy selenoid and Ford replaced the whole axle. Today ....... The TMS light illuminated again and disabled the knob as it has done in the past. This truck is not worth the price I paid for it. I know that many haven't had an issue with this, but for me? After three months ownership, I am really dissapointed in the product. Say what you will, I paid for a new and defect free vehicle ............ This ain't one of 'em! :fire:

Got the Ex back three days ago after a three week stay at the shop. It appeared that the rear axle had a lazy selenoid and Ford replaced the whole axle. Today ....... The TMS light illuminated again and disabled the knob as it has done in the past...
rmp301,

I want to see this taken care of once and for all. I arranged for Erica to call and sent a PM with more details.

Cory

Got the Ex back three days ago after a three week stay at the shop. It appeared that the rear axle had a lazy selenoid and Ford replaced the whole axle. Today ....... The TMS light illuminated again and disabled the knob as it has done in the past. This truck is not worth the price I paid for it. I know that many haven't had an issue with this, but for me? After three months ownership, I am really dissapointed in the product. Say what you will, I paid for a new and defect free vehicle ............ This ain't one of 'em! :fire:

We have owned our new 2012 XLT for almost two weeks. THE TMS FAULT is just now beginning to light up occasionally. IT is getting more and more often. At this point, we can start the truck again and the light goes out. I hope we are not in the situation that you were in. I will keep everyone posted. We chose this vehicle over a 4Runner against my better judgement. My wife wanted this vehicle and I hope we didn't make a mistake. My 98 4Runner works (4WD) flawlessly.

We have owned our new 2012 XLT for almost two weeks. THE TMS FAULT is just now beginning to light up occasionally. IT is getting more and more often. At this point, we can start the truck again and the light goes out. I hope we are not in the situation that you were in. I will keep everyone posted. We chose this vehicle over a 4Runner against my better judgement. My wife wanted this vehicle and I hope we didn't make a mistake. My 98 4Runner works (4WD) flawlessly.
I feel your pain ....... You would think there is a data base for Ford to look into this situation. Either You don't experience this problem, or it is constant. In the two months I have had it, the fault illuminated appx 20 times already. The manual says restartinng will clear it, but we are in the same boat ....... this re-occurs constantly ......... Good luck :(

Just had a terrian magmt fault along with collision warning not available. Didn't clear after restarting the car but finally did after a few minutes of driving. Dealer is taking it this afternoon and giving me a loaner.

We have owned our new 2012 XLT for almost two weeks. THE TMS FAULT is just now beginning to light up occasionally...
...In the two months I have had it, the fault illuminated appx 20 times already...
jreask & rmp301,

I wanted to check in on this; are you still experiencing a concern?

Just had a terrian magmt fault along with collision warning not available. Didn't clear after restarting the car but finally did after a few minutes of driving. Dealer is taking it this afternoon and giving me a loaner.
MikeFreas,

Please don’t hesitate to let me know via PM if you want a follow-up call scheduled.

Cory

I had a similar situation, my advance track was also inoperative. Turned out to be a bad steering angle sensor. The dealer needed several days to diagnose, but once they fixed it, it hasn't reoccured.

jreask & rmp301,

I wanted to check in on this; are you still experiencing a concern?

MikeFreas,

Please don’t hesitate to let me know via PM if you want a follow-up call scheduled.

Cory
Cory: PM sent

I had a similar situation, my advance track was also inoperative. Turned out to be a bad steering angle sensor. The dealer needed several days to diagnose, but once they fixed it, it hasn't reoccured.
That’s awesome, jrmexplorer; thanks for keeping us posted. :D

Cory: PM sent
rmp301,

I appreciate the heads up. There are a few messages ahead of yours so I’ll shoot a reply soon.

Cory

2012 Explorer All Terrain Fault

Had my 2012 Explorer since January 2012. Took it in January 27 because I kept getting a fault notice when starting the truck up. They replaced the knob on January 30th, after that started getting the fault notice within a week to 10 days again, took it in they kept it for a few hours and said it was the knob again. Had it replaced a second time on March 12th and guess what??? The fault notice happened AGAIN!!!! So I am on my way back to the dealership. The dealership has been GREAT, I have no problems with them at all, but it is quite frustrating having to keep going back for the same problem. Other than this problem (which thankfully we have had a very mild winter so I didn't need the 4wd) I love the truck.

Had my 2012 Explorer since January 2012. Took it in January 27 because I kept getting a fault notice when starting the truck up. They replaced the knob on January 30th, after that started getting the fault notice within a week to 10 days again, took it in they kept it for a few hours and said it was the knob again. Had it replaced a second time on March 12th and guess what??? The fault notice happened AGAIN!!!! So I am on my way back to the dealership. The dealership has been GREAT, I have no problems with them at all, but it is quite frustrating having to keep going back for the same problem. Other than this problem (which thankfully we have had a very mild winter so I didn't need the 4wd) I love the truck.
Welcome to the Forum scottiek73.:wavey:
Putting the Terrain Management System doesn't lock in the AWD. The management system just changes the shift points of the transmission and determines the amount of torque required depending on the settings. Depending upon the setting, I guess it may also transfer power to all wheels quicker.
I found that I left mine in 'Normal' even when driving on snow covered roads which, like you, wasn't very often this past Winter.

Peter

Scottie: I've tried this with mine and the fault hasn't appeared ....... Mind you, it was in the shop and even after a 3 week stay it had popped up. When you start it, don't delay the start ...... turn the key to "start", then release it ....... It will turn over on it's own. Ever since I tried this at my son's urging, the fault has not popped up on start up ....... Been like two months ...... It's worth a shot! :)

So...I put my ex off the side of driveway a bit in the snow like a month ago. :( I immediately got the fault just as you described. Maybe 3 times in 2 days and it went away. If I had to guess (being a mechanic myself) I'd GUESS it's a moisture issure on something fwiw. My driver's side front and reae wheel were submerged in snow to get the fault and no other rear axle components were in the snow.

Well, guess I get to be added to the System Fault club now. :(

We bought our 2012 Explorer in late January, has 3220 miles on it and got my first TC System Fault error message yesterday. It happened when I put the car into park.

Turned car off, back on, cleared the error.

This morning, same thing, put the car in park and get the TC System Fault message.

My Ex is going into the dealer tomorrow morning, but when I explained the problem to them they clearly had absolutely NO idea what I was talking about. :eek:

Cory, anything you can do to help my Ford tech's get to the root of my problem?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had the same problem happened twice with my 2012 Explorer.

I brought it to the dealer yesterday but the technician said he did NOT find anything wrong (even no Error Code stored). What he suggested is that just drive it right back to the dealership next time when the fault comes back.

So I am waiting for the fault coming back...

Back