Called dealer to get TSB's fixed. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Called dealer to get TSB's fixed.

The TSB for the rain noise -- does it include models with the moonroof?

Yes it does, I just had mine done with the dual moonroof. The foam stinks if they leave the windows up after injecting it so try and have it done on a day you can vent the inside for a few hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the advice. I'm bringing mine in next week so will keep that in mind.

Both happened to me. I have to wait for some parts and one issue which has a TSB won't be fixed because the TSB is for vehicles built between a certain date. So, since they don't hear it, it doesnt get fixed. They said that is because when they send the part back to fordnthat needed fixing from the TSB and there is nothing wrong with it, then they will get in trouble. They gave me a loaner but it stunk so bad I picked up my EX and will bring it back. I liked when I had to bring my Mazda in for service, I got something equivalent to what I was driving. Not some smoke smelling pos that felt like it was going to give up living!

Wanted to update the thread I started.
I took the truck in for service earlier than planned because I got a terrain management fault and collision warning fault on Tuesday morning. The dealer said they would address my TSB concerns while it was in for service AND install the new MFT update that I requested.
Because of my post here Cory asked if it was ok to escalate my concerns to customer service to which I agreed.

I spoke with Ford’s customer service rep on Tuesday afternoon and told her about dropping my vehicle off early. When I turned the truck in they wanted to go on a test drive to see if they could duplicate any of the issues on my list. During our drive the A pillar noise was faint most likely because we didn’t have any cross winds. It wasn’t raining so the tin noise didn’t happen and the wipers behaved themselves also.

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from the dealer stating they had to order parts for the A pillar fix and they were on back order, the phantom wipe couldn’t be duplicated, they fixed the rain noise issue by doing the TSB and installed the MFT upgrade. During this time I had a loaner (SUV) from Enterprise for which I truly appreciate. My only issue is I tried to avoid having to go back to the dealer by calling to have them order parts early but I guess that’s not how the auto service business works.

As a prior aircraft mechanic I know full well the faults I got on Tuesday morning aren’t going to show up again which is fine but they should address the phantom wipe now as I know it’s going to come back.

I may have higher standards then most when it comes to my expectation of product knowledge from service writers but most everyone that I spoke to in the service department didn’t know about the TSB’s for the Explorer.

Wanted to update the thread I started.
I took the truck in for service earlier than planned because I got a terrain management fault and collision warning fault on Tuesday morning. The dealer said they would address my TSB concerns while it was in for service AND install the new MFT update that I requested.
Because of my post here Cory asked if it was ok to escalate my concerns to customer service to which I agreed.

I spoke with Ford’s customer service rep on Tuesday afternoon and told her about dropping my vehicle off early. When I turned the truck in they wanted to go on a test drive to see if they could duplicate any of the issues on my list. During our drive the A pillar noise was faint most likely because we didn’t have any cross winds. It wasn’t raining so the tin noise didn’t happen and the wipers behaved themselves also.

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from the dealer stating they had to order parts for the A pillar fix and they were on back order, the phantom wipe couldn’t be duplicated, they fixed the rain noise issue by doing the TSB and installed the MFT upgrade. During this time I had a loaner (SUV) from Enterprise for which I truly appreciate. My only issue is I tried to avoid having to go back to the dealer by calling to have them order parts early but I guess that’s not how the auto service business works.

As a prior aircraft mechanic I know full well the faults I got on Tuesday morning aren’t going to show up again which is fine but they should address the phantom wipe now as I know it’s going to come back.

I may have higher standards then most when it comes to my expectation of product knowledge from service writers but most everyone that I spoke to in the service department didn’t know about the TSB’s for the Explorer.
Mike, are you saying they didn't heard the 'tin roof' sound but fixed it anyway but did not fix the 'phantom wipe' because they couldn't duplicate it?
If so, that is rather strange.
When I spoke to my dealer about the 'wipe' issue I was told to bring it in to see if they could duplicate it so I made an appointment. About 15 minutes later they called back and said that the service manager told them to order the parts and it would be fixed when I go in. No need to duplicate it. Others here have also had the fix done without having to duplicate it.

Peter

Mike, are you saying they didn't heard the 'tin roof' sound but fixed it anyway but did not fix the 'phantom wipe' because they couldn't duplicate it?
If so, that is rather strange.
When I spoke to my dealer about the 'wipe' issue I was told to bring it in to see if they could duplicate it so I made an appointment. About 15 minutes later they called back and said that the service manager told them to order the parts and it would be fixed when I go in. No need to duplicate it. Others here have also had the fix done without having to duplicate it.

Peter

That's what I'm saying. When I arrived they had the A pillar TSB printed out but not the other two. I tried to explain the issues as much as I could. The service writter actually asked me if I knew that it had automatic wipers. Seriously.

I completly understand that 90+ % of people are car ignorant and don't do any research on anything. We here on this board don't fit in that catagory.

Dealer called with a update.....they can't figure out a hill decent control fault and have been talking to the tech line. Doubt I'll have the truck for the weekend.

Dealer called with a update.....they can't figure out a hill decent control fault and have been talking to the tech line. Doubt I'll have the truck for the weekend.
Mike,

I verified that you’ll be called by the end of the day.

Both happened to me. I have to wait for some parts and one issue which has a TSB won't be fixed because the TSB is for vehicles built between a certain date...
I see that the parts have arrived at the dealer, peanut0426; please drop a line with anything that you’d like forwarded before your follow-up.

...When I spoke to my dealer about the 'wipe' issue I was told to bring it in to see if they could duplicate it so I made an appointment. About 15 minutes later they called back and said that the service manager told them to order the parts and it would be fixed when I go in...
I’m glad your dealer took care of you, Peter.

Cory

Mike,

I verified that you’ll be called by the end of the day.

I see that the parts have arrived at the dealer, peanut0426; please drop a line with anything that you’d like forwarded before your follow-up.

I’m glad your dealer took care of you, Peter.

Cory

Cory,

I just received another call and I very much appreciate the follow up.

The phantom wipe TSB is for vehicles built on or before June of 11 and mine was built in Aug so I was told I have the updated module that controlls the wipers. Without being able to duplicate the issue they can't address it. Fair enough.

I guess they troubleshot the fault that came up on Tuesday to a bad ABS module which needs to be ordered so I'm without my truck for the weekend which I expected.

I'll update when I get the truck back.

I didn't have a problem with TSB's.

Called the dealer to get my MFT upate scheduled, and asked him to fix the A pillar and roof noise. "No problem" was the reply. "When do you want to schedule it." Then got an email back - "We have the parts here. All set to go."

It's all about the dealer choice.:thumbsup:

Oh - and I still have not even received a letter from Ford telling me I'd have to take the vehicle in for the MFT upgrade. Had to learn about it here.

Called the dealer to get my MFT upate scheduled, and asked him to fix the A pillar and roof noise. "No problem" was the reply. "When do you want to schedule it." Then got an email back - "We have the parts here. All set to go."

It's all about the dealer choice.:thumbsup:

Oh - and I still have not even received a letter from Ford telling me I'd have to take the vehicle in for the MFT upgrade. Had to learn about it here.
When I spoke with my dealer last Monday they had just received the letter regarding the performance upgrade from Ford Canada. The letter stated, among other things, that the owners would be sent a letter about it as well toward the end of March. I'm guessing they wanted the dealers to be notified first and have the necessary items in place before the customers showed up.
I think, being members of this very informative Forum, that some of us may have 'jumped the gun' a little as info became available.
I do think that Ford in general could have done a much better job in communicating with the owners.

Peter

Also had the Tin Roof noise addressed with the foam spray inside headliner. Odour from the foam is bad but definately better in the rain.

Don't light a match!

And I would agree with this policy, had I not complained for 6 months prior to the TSB being released of the same problem.

Timeline:

Complain brakes squeal at low speeds, light braking - Cannot reproduce
next month complain brakes squeal, light braking - cannot reproduce
and on and on...

6 months - TSB Released outlining "Intermittent brake squeal under light braking conditions" ... HOLY CHRISTMAS!!! let's get it fixed!!!

complain brakes squeal - point to TSB - cannot reproduce
talk to regional customer service manager - dealership can't fix if they can't reproduce the problem, sorry

SCREAM... PULL HAIR (which is a feat, since I'm bald)... YELL EXPLICATIVE'S AT THE WALL... CRY.... SULK.... COME VENT ON ExplorerForum.com...

and here we are today

How many dealers have you tried? I know of 3 in the L.A. (and surrounding metropolis) area:

South Bay Ford - I forget where in l.a.
Ford West - Bellflower
Pacific Ford - Long beach
Cerritos Ford - Cerritos

Cory,

I just received another call and I very much appreciate the follow up...
You’re welcome, Mike. I confirmed you have a follow-up scheduled, so send a PM if you’d like to be called sooner.

Called the dealer to get my MFT upate scheduled, and asked him to fix the A pillar and roof noise. "No problem" was the reply. "When do you want to schedule it." Then got an email back - "We have the parts here. All set to go."...
That’s awesome to hear, dco43054; thanks for posting. :)

When I spoke with my dealer last Monday they had just received the letter regarding the performance upgrade from Ford Canada. The letter stated, among other things, that the owners would be sent a letter about it as well toward the end of March. I'm guessing they wanted the dealers to be notified first and have the necessary items in place before the customers showed up.
I think, being members of this very informative Forum, that some of us may have 'jumped the gun' a little as info became available...
Peter,

I couldn’t agree more; the community here is amazing. :D

Cory

I picked the truck up last Wed and all is well with it. I still have to go back when the parts for the A pillar come in but the rain noise TSB works really well. They replaced the ABS pump which fixed the issue with the AWD system.

I can't say enough good things about the new MFT. It really is that good and I haven't had one issue with it. Even the voice recognition works most of the time.

The dealer treated me well with the rental and I'm happy with the service I received.

Another update....

Took the truck in on Fri to have the A pillar TSB done. I was in and out no issue in about an hour. Fast forward to today and the entire piece of plastic on the left side blew off while my wife was driving the truck. This is Fing BS! Now my wife has to drive the 60 miles round trip to get it fixed!

Update on this issue.

The dealer stated that the TSB call for reusing the plastic clips that hold this piece on. If this is indeed true it's a really bad call by Ford. How much can these cost? The entire A pillar plastic broke loose and slapped across the windshild of the car driving 60 mph.

The dealer replaced the clips from both sides and gave us a new left side A pillar cover because the other one got a scratch. They also filled my tank up which wasn't expected but a very nice touch. I'm happy with the service I got from them and they made it right.

Freedom Ford VA Beach

I have a day off work coming at the end of the month so I figured I'd take the X in to get all the things wrong with it fixed. I've got the typical A pillar, phantom wipe, and rain noise issue. I called the service department to discuss the issues and they had no clue about the TSB's. They also told me they would have to "verify" there was a problem before they fix it.

So, I'm going to drop the truck off in the morning only to be told one of two things.

1. Sorry we couldn't duplicate the issue(s)

2. Sorry but we have to order parts so you have to come back.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Help me understand. Did you think the dealer was going to write up a repair order on your say so, before you even arrived! That's not how it works at any store.

so i still have the wind noise.... they replaced the A pillar fronts on both sides... its not as bad as it was but it is still there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help me understand. Did you think the dealer was going to write up a repair order on your say so, before you even arrived! That's not how it works at any store.

If it were for some out of the blue issue than no but that's not the case. This is a known issue hence the TSB so when a customer says they have a problem with buzzing on the A pillar they should have known to order the parts. I even told them the TSB number the first time I called and they told me they never heard of it.

In the end the truck is fixed but that took THREE trips to the dealer.

Back