Shock Recommendation? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shock Recommendation?

Just finished putting Monroe Reflex's on all four corners, nice improvement over the worn out factory set.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are they firmer or a bit softer then the SensaTracks?

I second the Reflex if you go Monroe. I had SensaTracs on my last Ex and the Reflex on this one, and I like the Reflex better- less body roll. I paid like $36/shock on RockAuto.

Joe Dirt,

I was just wondering if you replaced all 4 with the reflex.. Monroe for some reason doesn't list them anymore on their website with explorers (mine is 97 5.0). I wanted to go with 4 reflexes, despite this. any recommendations?

thanks Joe Dirt,

Anyone have KYB-GR2's on front or have a comment? I just installed Monroe Max-Air"s on rear and am going to rebuild front suspension/steering next week. I ordered KYB-GR2's this week from Amazon. I wish I knew about the coupon code.

Ask them if they would pricematch.

GR2's were a bit firm, though a great shock.
I swapped the fronts for Sensatrac's, still a controlled ride with a little more compliant ride noticeable on the highway. The rebound on the Monroe is a little softer.

Anyone have KYB-GR2's on front or have a comment? I just installed Monroe Max-Air"s on rear and am going to rebuild front suspension/steering next week. I ordered KYB-GR2's this week from Amazon. I wish I knew about the coupon code.

I just replaced the 5th shock (Monroe SC2958"axle damper") this AM and the X felt very good, as if it was in control of the road. Well worth the $35. free shipping on Amazon.

I just replaced the 5th shock (Monroe SC2958"axle damper") this AM and the X felt very good, as if it was in control of the road. Well worth the $35. free shipping on Amazon.
Just did the same thing yesterday, did not even know it was a 5th shock till i read it on here.Made a world of difference around corners especaily since I put the 20" wheels on, the back end would roll alot but not anymore.By the way I used a coupon code fron couponcabin and it was only $28 picked up in store from Advance.

Just did the same thing yesterday, did not even know it was a 5th shock till i read it on here.Made a world of difference around corners especaily since I put the 20" wheels on, the back end would roll alot but not anymore.By the way I used a coupon code fron couponcabin and it was only $28 picked up in store from Advance.

Yup. I always said if you removed it and noticed no difference the one you removed was worn out. Thanks for updating this you guys!

FYI for anyone thinking about getting Sensa Tracs, NAPA store-brand shocks are really Sensa Tracs just painted blue and half the price.

Yup. I always said if you removed it and noticed no difference the one you removed was worn out. Thanks for updating this you guys!
You can add me to that list too :) Improvement to "cornering wobble" was so sensible that even my wife noticed it.

bought reflexs for the front today, $80 on amazon

FYI for anyone thinking about getting Sensa Tracs, NAPA store-brand shocks are really Sensa Tracs just painted blue and half the price.

They sound like MonroeMatics (the lower line) to me.....Sensatrac is a black, lifetime warranty shock.

Bought the Load Adjusting Monroe's for the rear of my kids 01 Sport, raised the rear end 2 inches. Put the sensa tracs on the front. Made a huge difference on overall ride. Thanks for all the great posts that encourages others to DIY!

Follow-up on an old thread - I ended up going with the Monroe Reflex up front and load-leveling Sensa-Trac in the back (seeing how bad she sagged with the back loaded up made this an easy decision). I'll follow up once they arrive and I get them installed!

I also used the load leveling Sensatracs in the rear, raised it up about an inch or so. Ride quality is good but the only comparison I have is a 2000 2-door Sport, which is always going to be choppier because of the short wheelbase. Sensatracs in the front too.

Back