P1131:Did 02 Sensor/Intake Gaskets Upper+lower, and a New MAF, still crap idle +CEL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P1131:Did 02 Sensor/Intake Gaskets Upper+lower, and a New MAF, still crap idle +CEL

MountainSplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 X EB SOHC 4x4
Ok so I used to be getting several codes on my car.

First was:

P0133- Heated O2 Circuit slow response Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1131 Lack of heated switch sensor indicates lean Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0135 Lack of heat bank 1 Sensor 1

I replaced the MAF because advance auto parts stupid ODB II reader just said that instead of giving me the codes.

Then found out it was the 3 above, so I replaced the 02 on the driver side which is bank 1 sensor 1.

CEL went away for 20 minutes LOL, and got only 1 back. P0131. Ok great figured a lean switch meant my car had bad gaskets after 12 years and 125K miles.

I replaced both upper and lower intake manifolds, car gets much better gas millage now and drove the car for a half hour doing a drive cycle hard on the gas, soft, cruising ect. However now I get the same P0131.

So replaced the MAF, Cleaned the IAC, Replaced the 02 that was clearly bad as the 2 codes went away. Replaced upper and lower intake gaskets.

Could it be something as stupid as spark plugs/wires or is there something else that would be it?

Car idles like crap warm and cold, so its not temp dependent. Even when the car had no cel it idled like crap

HELP PLEASE any thoughts are appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were me I'd be looking at the wire connected to the sensor.

P0131 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical Description. Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

What does that mean? Essentially the same as P0136 and P0137, a P0131 code refers to the first oxygen sensor on Bank 1. P0131 means the O2 oxygen sensor's voltage remained low for longer than 2 minutes. This, is interpreted by the ECM as a low voltage condition and sets the MIL. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is located in front of the catalytic converter.

Symptoms. There may be no visible symptoms to the driver, other than the MIL (Check Engine / Service Engine Soon) illumination.

Causes. A code P0131 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty o2 oxygen sensor
Short to voltage on O2 signal circuit
High resistance or open on O2 signal circuit
Possible Solutions. Replace faulty sensor
Repair short, open, or high resistance on o2 signal circuit

passenger side precat sensor

. . .
P0133- Heated O2 Circuit slow response Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1131 Lack of heated switch sensor indicates lean Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0135 Lack of heat bank 1 Sensor 1

. . . so I replaced the 02 on the driver side which is bank 1 sensor 1.

Bank 1 is always the side with cylinder #1. Unless your vehicle is an import cylinder #1 is on the passenger side. Either way it is on the right side of the vehicle and not the left (driver side in the U.S.). I suggest that you check the connectors associated with the passenger side precat O2 sensor. Also inspect the wiring. Sometimes the wires touch the exhaust pipe, the insulation burns off and a short happens.

Bank 1 is always the side with cylinder #1. Unless your vehicle is an import cylinder #1 is on the passenger side. Either way it is on the right side of the vehicle and not the left (driver side in the U.S.). I suggest that you check the connectors associated with the passenger side precat O2 sensor. Also inspect the wiring. Sometimes the wires touch the exhaust pipe, the insulation burns off and a short happens.

Ok not to get it confused but when you say its the right side, you saying standing at the front of the car, the right side would be the driver side, and the left would be passenger, as opposed sitting in the vehicle facing forward where you would be driver side left, passenger side right?

I replaced the driver side right when facing forward, left when behind the car looking forward.

I def replaced the driver side, and some of the codes went away, but your saying its possible I need to check the pass side anyways? I don't know how I check wiring, I mean besides obvious physical damage, I guess it may be time to go to a mechanic?

You replaced the wrong one. In a vehicle left and right is determined by sitting in the drivers seat. Drivers side is left, passenger is right. 2000StreetRod told you pass side pre cat sensor.

You replaced the wrong one. In a vehicle left and right is determined by sitting in the drivers seat. Drivers side is left, passenger is right. 2000StreetRod told you pass side pre cat sensor.

Gotcha, Advance auto parts computer said driver side so that what I did. So guess ill go pluck the fender liner out and replace that 02 then.

You guys where right, did the wrong 02, got around to it to day and heres what I found!

A713E821.jpg

Idle fixed, runs super, and up fro 18 city to 20! which for a big hulking SUV is awesome!

Great job! Always a great feeling when its all fixed up.

Back