• Register Today It's free!

Truck not entering program mode

steadyhand

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
I just went to the dealership and got two more keys cut and programmed for my 99 Mountaineer. So now I have a total of three keys.

Well now I am wanting to program a keyless entry remote for the truck, but the problem is when I cycle the key 8 times and end in the run position on the 8th time the truck doesn't enter program mode. By that I mean the doors do not lock/unlock so I can then hit the keypad button to program it.

What would keep the truck from entering program mode?

I do have a problem with the drivers door also. It will not lock, but it will unlock. The lock button doesn't work. I am thinking it is a cut wire in the door.

Could this cause the truck to not enter program mode?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this might be your problem? I am not sure if the program mode would be effected, but it would cause doors not to lock, and or unlock.

http://youtu.be/N88FYRW0B1w

great video 1996blkbauer! S/B a STICKY. if that's not the problem with trying to get into programming mode... are you sure you're starting the 8 turns from the OFF position and not from LOCK? There's LOCK, OFF, ON/RUN and START. The procedure is:

1. get in your x through the driver's door (bring all remotes to be programmed)
2, close the door (all doors s/b closed)
3. unlock the doors using the driver's door switch
4. insert your key into the ignition
5. turn your key from LOCK to OFF
6. cycle the key from OFF to ON/RUN 8 times ending in the ON position.
your locks should lock and unlock once indication PROGAMMING MODE
7. press any key on the remote to program it, repeat step 7 (w/in 20 secs) on each additional remote to be programmed.

That's it.

Correct- may people have been led astray by not starting in the correct place, or counting the turns correctly... I'd try again paying special attention...

Just to make sure I wasn't doing it incorrectly, I tried it again starting from the off position. I cycled the key 8 times ending in the run position on the 8th time, but it still did not work.

I am going to check out the wiring following the video 1996BLK posted, make any required repairs, and see if that might be keeping it from entering program mode. I'll update this if I do find a solution.

Well I checked the spliced connection by the rear driver side door and that isn't the problem. I used an ohm meter to check the connection on both sides of the splice and it has a good connection.

Tomorrow I am going to pull the drivers door panel and jump the lock switch straight across with a piece of wire and see if the door locks. If it does I know it's the switch. If not, then it is in the wiring.

Hopefully it's just the switch. :)

Ok well I checked out the switch and got it working. I think a wire was just loose. I attached a spring inside the door so now it is lock/unlocking.

But I still can't get the truck to enter program mode. I can't find anything that would keep it from entering this mode so I can program the remote. I might have to take it to the dealership.

Try cycling the key faster, I tried like five times with no luck, it wasn't until I got angry and went through the cycle really fast that it worked.

I did try that, unfortunatley out of frustration as well. :D

I am actually starting to wonder if this 99 Mountaineer even had keyless entry to start with. I thought they all did, but after doing some reading I am not so sure.

I read something about a "RAP Module". Where is this located?

If it turns out this Mountaineer does not have keyless entry, how do I go about adding it?

Do I have to buy an aftermarket kit or can I simply get a RAP module box from a local salvage yard and install it?

Would it require any programming to match it to the ECM?

i am having the same problem with mt 97 Mountaineer!!

Mine doesn't have a rap module!! It has the black box with relays!! Now i have a Fob i don't need!!

Mine doesn't have a rap module!! It has the black box with relays!! Now i have a Fob i don't need!!

Me too Bro...unless it's behind the passenger's side airbag like I have read that they are on some Sports. I bought a Fob from ebay and tried it... like a hundred times, then found out to look in the jack compartment...not there! Also, a friend pointed out, if it was equipped w/keyless entry, from outside the vehicle on the passenger's side, look through the windshield...on the dash, there is a small hole in mine...where if it had keyless, there would be a little dome, or some kind of antenna of sort.

Can anyone tell me what good is the flashing "anti-theft" indicator on the dash, if I don't have a RAP module?...or do I have one behind the airbag?...How does the anti-theft work with no keyless entry?

Thanks,
Scott.

i have the same problem, wondering if i can buy a RAP module and hook it up and get it to work

Also, a friend pointed out, if it was equipped w/keyless entry, from outside the vehicle on the passenger's side, look through the windshield...on the dash, there is a small hole in mine...where if it had keyless, there would be a little dome, or some kind of antenna of sort.

Thanks,
Scott.

That hole in the dash has nothing to do with keyless entry. It's for the sun load sensor for the automatic climate control. If you have EATC there's a sensor with a clear plastic lens there. If not it is just a hole in the dash. A 99 mountaineer with keyless entry would have the keypad on the drivers door.

great video 1996blkbauer! S/B a STICKY. if that's not the problem with trying to get into programming mode... are you sure you're starting the 8 turns from the OFF position and not from LOCK? There's LOCK, OFF, ON/RUN and START. The procedure is:

1. get in your x through the driver's door (bring all remotes to be programmed)
2, close the door (all doors s/b closed)
3. unlock the doors using the driver's door switch
4. insert your key into the ignition
5. turn your key from LOCK to OFF
6. cycle the key from OFF to ON/RUN 8 times ending in the ON position.
your locks should lock and unlock once indication PROGAMMING MODE
7. press any key on the remote to program it, repeat step 7 (w/in 20 secs) on each additional remote to be programmed.

That's it.

Older thread but just wanted to say thanks because it helped me fix my problem, though I only got one key to reprogram one is enough for me. My problem happened when I disconnected my battery.

you're very welcome.:D

Back