• Register Today It's free!

'99 XLT Cruise control problem

Kelly6

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
My when I turn my cruise control on then press the "set" button, the "cruise" light just flicks - a split second blink (You have to be looking for it.). I have had the steering wheel switches replaced by Ford and it worked for nearly a year. Then it began to intermittantly fail until now it is constantly in the failed condition.
I tried to check some of the plug connections by the steering column and it started working for about a week. Thinking I was on to something, I tried the connectors again, but had no success this time.

I thank you in advance for any help you may give me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clockspring?

I did not check the clockspring. I don't know where such a component is located. I have never heard of a "Clockspring" in reference to a car. Please enlighten me.

Clockspring

Thanks for the info. Looks really tough to access.

I have been doing a little exploring on other forums and have found similar symptoms described. A common fix was a switch on the master cylinder. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your help
Kelly

Cruise Control self-test Diagnostics

I ran the self-test and the "ON" switch was the only one that flashed. The RESUME, COAST, SET/ACCEL buttons gave no indication.

I would assume that the power to these switches is not present. Any suggestions like plug connections, fuse, or (gasp, shudder) clockspring?

Let Me Know

Kelly6

Please let me know if you resolve this problem--I'm having the exact same issue with my '98 XLT's cruise control. The CRUISE light just blinks on briefly and the system does not engage.

I'm checking with the local dealer to see if the harness recall items were replaced in my vehicle.

Wally

Hi WinoWally,
I know this was a post over a year old, but I wondered if you were able to resolve your (and my) cruise control problem. I haven't been real aggressive in fixing my Explorer since it is mostly a short distance, dirt road/off road fishing vehicle. It would be a nice thing to get repaired none the less. Occasionally, I do take it on the highway for short trips.
Thanks for any help you can give/
Kelly

I ran the self-test and the "ON" switch was the only one that flashed. The RESUME, COAST, SET/ACCEL buttons gave no indication.

I would assume that the power to these switches is not present. Any suggestions like plug connections, fuse, or (gasp, shudder) clockspring?

Was the Resume/Set/Coast switch bad? I have the same issue...it's driving me nuts!

'99 Explorer Cruis control

Hi Craftsman,
Switches seemed ok - each one flashes. I did not pursue the problem further. I keep hoping someone will post a thread of something simple to fix this. Ford dealer tells me it could be clockspring, servo unit, switches - all things that are buried in there (could run $1000+). I get scared around that air bag and I don't have a puller to remove the steering wheel. I would like to get this fixed. Surely there's a way to check these things without major surgery.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Kelly

Hi Craftsman,
Switches seemed ok - each one flashes. I did not pursue the problem further. I keep hoping someone will post a thread of something simple to fix this. Ford dealer tells me it could be clockspring, servo unit, switches - all things that are buried in there (could run $1000+). I get scared around that air bag and I don't have a puller to remove the steering wheel. I would like to get this fixed. Surely there's a way to check these things without major surgery.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Kelly

Thanks for responding Kelly! I've since purchased a set of controllers (used) from ebay for under $30.00, and I am very hopeful that they will take care of my problem. I also don't think it's worth digging down to the clockspring just to have cruise control. I have no other issues with mine.

My new controllers will be here tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you know how they work...just going to be a long drive to the lake this summer if they don't...Lol.

Thanks.
Scott.

It's not much digging to get down there. Unhook the battery, pull the airbag off, remove the cruise switches, remove the Steering wheel bolt, and pop the wheel off by popping it towards you by hitting the back of the wheel with your fists. I've never needed a steering wheel puller. Clockspring is right under there.

Clockspring?

Is there a way to check it (clockspring) without surgery?
Kelly

Is there a way to check it (clockspring) without surgery?
Kelly

Kelly,
I solved my issue. It was the CPP (Clutch Pedal Position) switch. When I received my controllers and replaced them, I had no results... so I went back to the drawing board. I took some electronic cleaner and cleaned ALL (2) wire connectors going to the master cylinder. They had grime and old brake fluid on them. I then was able to do the self-test with a result of 2 flashes at the end, telling me it was either the BPP ( Brake Pedal Position) switch, or CPP switch. I recently replaced my clutch master cylinder, so I took at chance at that one. I really don't think that I had the old switch seated in properly, but the new one does feel a lot stiffer, like it probably should...Take the connectors loose at the master, and clean them good to see if you get any results...You could be cruising by summertime!

Good Luck!
Scott.

P.S.
Did you replace the Speed Control Deactivator Switch on the Master Cylinder... It was recalled some years ago due to brake fluid leaking on it. It was most likely my original problem...about $15 is what I paid.

Cruise Control Fix!

Scott,
Speed control deactivation switch. I could kiss you right on the lips! Maybe just a hug and a handskake and a really big thanks. I am cruisin'!

I checked the old switch with an ohmmeter and it read open when I pressed the brake. When I released the brake the switch did not close - it read 500 - 650 Ohms. Bought a new switch from ford for $18. The new switch reads open with brake applied and zero ohms with brake off.

Thanks again,
Kelly

P.S. They (Ford service) told me the switch was not in the recall - only the harness was replaced with a fused harness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scott,
Speed control deactivation switch. I could kiss you right on the lips! Maybe just a hug and a handskake and a really big thanks. I am cruisin'!

I checked the old switch with an ohmmeter and it read open when I pressed the brake. When I released the brake the switch did not close - it read 500 - 650 Ohms. Bought a new switch from ford for $18. The new switch reads open with brake applied and zero ohms with brake off.

Thanks again,
Kelly

P.S. They (Ford service) told me the switch was not in the recall - only the harness was replaced with a fused harness.

Congrats!!! Gotta love a simple (and cheap) fix!...It ended up costing me about $80 all together, with the speed control switch. steering wheel controllers, and the clutch pedal switch...I really needed them all anyway. I'm glad I didn't do the clockspring!... I'm sure this would have cost me alot more at a shop, or dealership...and I wouldn't had the satisfaction of fixing it myself... Anyway, mine is still working flawlessly, and I don't know how I lived without it for so long...Lol.

Congrats again! :thumbsup:
Scott.

Back