Any oil change videos out there??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any oil change videos out there???

cjlock

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Just wondering if anyone has been under the belly of the Ex to do their own oil change; I was on youtube searching for a DIY video for oil and filter change on the new class of Explorers, but no such luck. Just curious where the drain plug and oil filter are underneath on the new trucks. (I'm a girl by the way!!!!) Thinking about doing my own oil and filter changes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering if anyone has been under the belly of the Ex to do their own oil change; I was on youtube searching for a DIY video for oil and filter change on the new class of Explorers, but no such luck. Just curious where the drain plug and oil filter are underneath on the new trucks. (I'm a girl by the way!!!!) Thinking about doing my own oil and filter changes.
Welcome to the Forum cjlock. :wavey:
There are members who have changed their own oil. Personally I can't be bothered. My last oil/filter change cost me $14.95. The normal rate I believe is $39.95 and that includes a tire rotation and 99 point check and free fluid top-ups.. They also wash and dry the Ex after every service while I'm having free coffee.
Just make sure you keep your receipts in case of any warranty issues down the road.
I'm sure someone will respond and be able to assist you. In the meantime, happy motoring.:)

Peter

Changing the oil in the new X's is a piece of cake. Even a Man can do it ;)

If you have the V-6 engine (instead of the eco-boost) the filter is very accessible from underneath the car. it is located near the front of the car, near the bottom of the engine. The oil filter is a round canister (size of large coffee mug) that screws onto the engine. (don't mean to insult your intelligence but if you've never changed oil before you might not know what the filter looks like)

The drainplug for the oil pan is located at the back of the engine. The oil pan holds the reservoir of oil. It has a flat bottom, and a large bolt (drain-plug) that screws into the oil pan at the rear. You remove the plug in order to let the oil drain out into a catch pan.

In order to do this correctly, you'll need to invest in a few pieces of equipment:

1. Car ramps (cost about $20-$25)
    Oil drain pan
    5/8" Socket and Ratchet
    Funnel (to put new oil into engine)
    Oil filter removal tool
    Roll of Bounty paper towels

Here's the procedure: (You'll need 6 qts of oil and new filter for V-6. Be sure to get the right one for your car)

• When the engine is cold, start car and drive it up on ramps, very carefully. Be sure to align the ramps exactly with the front tires You might want a friend to "spot you" the first couple of times you do this to make sure you don't run off the ramps.
    Turn engine off, pop the hood
    Put some cardboard under the car to catch any drips to protect your floor, and your clothes from driveway.
    Slide the oil drain pan, socket & ratchet, oil filter removal tool, new oil filter, and paper towels under car
    Place the oil drain pan, directly under oil filter (near front of car)
    Take oil filter removal tool, and place on oil filter and turn to the left. "Lefty loosey...Righty tighty"
    Some oil will drip out of the filter as you loosen it. This is normal. Messy, but normal. Let the bulk of the oil drip into the drain pan, before completely removing the oil filter. (keep filter vertical, as it will still have plenty of oil in it, after you remove it)
    Dump remaining oil from filter into the drain pan.
    Take paper towel and remove excess oil from engine oil filter fitting.
    Take NEW oil filter out of box, and using your finger, take a drop of old oil and apply around the new oil filter gasket on the top of the filter, so it goes on easier.
    Put OLD filter in the empty new oil filter box and set aside.
    Screw on the new oil filter to the fitting (Right-tighty) Hand tighten about 1/4-1/3 turn after the oil filter gasket makes contact with the fitting flange. Do not use the oil filter removal tool to tighten.
    Slide your oil drain pan back a couple of feet to place the front of the drain pan directly under the oil pan drain plug. The rest of the pan, should extend to the rear of the car in order to catch the oil that will flow out the drain plug hole pretty rapidly, and shoot out about a foot.
    Once the oil has drained from the oil pan, clean your drain plug with a towel and screw back into the oil pan on the car. Use your socket to tighten the drain plug securely.
    Take your funnel, and 6 qts (for V-6) of new oil and pour into the top of the engine. There is a oil fill cap (should say 5W-20W) on it near the front of the engine, just behind the radiator. There is a black plastic shroud that is covering the top of the engine, and the fill cap is near the front of that. It sits down below the top of the radiator. (I think your owner's manual will detail the location. If not, stop into a full service gas station before you change the oil, and one of the attendents can show you where it is located)
    Replace filler cap.
    Locate and remove all tools, drain pans, towels, etc from under car.
    Start car, let it idle for 5-10 seconds (to get oil flowing again)
    Carefully back car down off ramps.
    Smile and pat yourself on the back !! :D

There are many different philosophies on when to change your oil, the type of oil to use, etc. If you use a synthetic oil, then you can go 5-6,000 miles. If you use traditional oil, then you can go 2-3,000 miles between changes. The type of driving you do also has an impact on the frequency of oil changes. If you live in the country with a lot of dust, the oil should be changed more often. If you do all interstate driving, then it would be much less frequent.

But one thing is certain. Never change the oil without changing the filter too !

My apologies if I went into too much detail, but I've learned over my many years, never to assume anything.

good luck. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

briteboy said:
There are many different philosophies on when to change your oil, the type of oil to use, etc. If you use a synthetic oil, then you can go 5-6,000 miles. If you use traditional oil, then you can go 2-3,000 miles between changes.

Synthetic can easily go 10K miles. Conventional 7.5K. Follow the engine oil life monitor, and change accordingly. 2-3K, complete waste.

Philosophical speaking aside... the owner's manual does state to follow the oil life monitor and not mileage. The computer tracks many variables to compute the change frequency.

More important than changing your oil... remember to replace your mattress every 8 years... they DOUBLE in weight from dead skin and bed mites... gross!!!!

A little light reading about oil change intervals:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

"Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it."

A little light reading about oil change intervals:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

"Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it."
Keep in mind that they are talking about a full Synthetic oil here.

Peter

Philosophical speaking aside... the owner's manual does state to follow the oil life monitor and not mileage. The computer tracks many variables to compute the change frequency.

More important than changing your oil... remember to replace your mattress every 8 years... they DOUBLE in weight from dead skin and bed mites... gross!!!!
I still prefer to change oil and filter every 6 month or 5000 miles. In my case the time interval always occurs first. I have only put 5600 miles on mine in just over a year and have done 2 oil/filter changes. Many trips are of a short duration and I have read articles that under these conditions oil changes are recommended every 2-3000 miles due to more engine wear.

Peter

Hahahaha!!!! The mattress..... Definitely important!

good luck. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Thanks!!! This will definitely help. Always want to do things the right way instead of trying to guess!

Back