4th Gen/General Mirror Installation on 3rd Gen | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen/General Mirror Installation on 3rd Gen

hey burnout....where did you get the pilot brand mirrors???????

Amazon

Driver's Side

Passenger Side

I got the last used passenger side one ("Used", but like a ton of Amazon stuff basically new) for $15. Right now I'm driving around with mismatched mirrors for about a week to test it out. If I like how it works (and I do so far), I'm going to buy the driver's side one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking about doing this mod myself.
Do those Pilot mirrors have the puddle lights in them?
I am going to be installing in mirror turn indicators soon and thought I might as well do this at the same time.

I'm thinking about doing this mod myself.
Do those Pilot mirrors have the puddle lights in them?
I am going to be installing in mirror turn indicators soon and thought I might as well do this at the same time.

Yes, they do. It seems to me that the lights are a bit dimmer, or maybe angled differently as they're made for the 4th gen body, but I never really used the puddle lights to see anything so I don't notice it. But they're there, and the mirrors work great!

I just switched one of mine over, the other one was broken and I'm waiting for the replacement to come in. I used 2006 mirrors from eBay and put them on my 2002 XLT. I read that someone wanted a side by side comparison and I just wanted to add a few pictures of what was different from the thread's host and my truck.

Sorry if pictures look like crap they have been re-sized to fit the upload limit.

Pic 1 My screw behind the door controller on the RH side had a different size screw.

Pic 2 I just left the door panel hanging while I installed the new mirror. Note this was the bad one so it came back out afterwards.

Pic 3 The truck is pre-wired for heated mirrors.

Pic 4 Is the old mirror connector.

Attachments

• RH Screw.jpg
    RH Screw.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 551
  • Hanging 1.jpg
    Hanging 1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 554
  • Two Wires OnTop.jpg
    Two Wires OnTop.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 548
  • Old Connector.jpg
    Old Connector.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 555

Pic 5 Is the new mirror connector.

Pic 6 and 7 Are the protectors on the new mirror that need to be removed.

Pic 8 Is them removed.

Attachments

• New connector.jpg
    New connector.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 549
  • Protector 1.jpg
    Protector 1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Protector 2.jpg
    Protector 2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 555
  • Protectors 3.jpg
    Protectors 3.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 538

Pic 9 LH door hanging.

Pic 10 My screws where a size 7/32.

Pic 11 my screws where a size 7/16

Attachments

• LH Screw 2.jpg
    LH Screw 2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 557
  • LH Screw 1.jpg
    LH Screw 1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 532
  • LH Hanging.jpg
    LH Hanging.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 561

Pic 12,13 and 14 comparing old and new mirrors.

Attachments

• Side by Side 1.jpg
    Side by Side 1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 546
  • Side by Side 2.jpg
    Side by Side 2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 575
  • Side by Side 3.jpg
    Side by Side 3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 563

The best way to not loose a nut while doing this job is to use a deep socket and place a small earth magnet inside it.

Attachments

• Earth Magnet 1.jpg
    Earth Magnet 1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 546
  • Earth Magnet 2.jpg
    Earth Magnet 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 546

Anyone get the 4th gen mirror that comes with the 2 caps (Chrome and primed)? I was thinking of getting that one and painting the primed cap my stock color harvest gold metallic and then clear coating. I think it would look pretty nice instead of plain plastic looking black. Anyone ever do this?

The best way to not loose a nut while doing this job is to use a deep socket and place a small earth magnet inside it.

Where did you get your 4th gen mirrors from?

Where did you get your 4th gen mirrors from?

Paid 44.03 for each one and bought them from this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/martinsautoparts

One thing I don't like about them is they don't seem to go up as high as the stock ones so if you're tall you wont be able to see the traffic behind you as much as you did before but I do like them better then stock ones just because they not only look better but have the heated mirror.

Paid 44.03 for each one and bought them from this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/martinsautoparts

One thing I don't like about them is they don't seem to go up as high as the stock ones so if you're tall you wont be able to see the traffic behind you as much as you did before but I do like them better then stock ones just because they not only look better but have the heated mirror.

Well mine are heated already but I'm a giant (6'7") so I would definitely need them to go pretty high. Are these an aftermarket replacement or actual Ford replacement parts. If they are aftermarket, I wonder if actual Ford ones will adjust higher?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well mine are heated already but I'm a giant (6'7") so I would definitely need them to go pretty high. Are these an aftermarket replacement or actual Ford replacement parts. If they are aftermarket, I wonder if actual Ford ones will adjust higher?

They're just the cheap aftermarket ones. I think the Ford ones where like 160 a piece or something like that.

Back