tgrfly's '03 X Limited | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tgrfly's '03 X Limited

Here is just a little start on a project log. Not a whole lot is going to happen with the truck.

This is my starting place.

4_10151079676715217_594405216_22079478_411516463_o.jpg

First thing I did was I had to replace the driver's side tail light because it was cracked when I purchased the truck. Then after I got the new one I VHT'd them. Came out GREAT!

DSC_0879.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

Next thing I did was attempted to paint my headlight housings black, and failed. So I ended up buying a new set of black housing headlights and also black housing clear corner lights. I also took the billet grille that was in the truck and pulled it out and painted it black. The black on the top and bottom of each billet strip was flaking off so I needed to do something with it to cover it up. Very happy with the way everything turned out.

1_10151171669385217_594405216_22509519_977922645_o.jpg

I also ordered HIDs from DDM Tuning. I ordered 55w 8000K lights for my headlights and 35w 6000K for my fog lights. I also ordered a set of Switchback LEDs for my corner lights. Love the way everything looks lit up. I have yet to get a picture of everything, so once I do I will post it up.

I also got my HU from my car and designed a 4th order box for my 2 SA8s and my AQ1200-D.

*Note: Clear section is not clear. Done to show internal build*
explorerbandpass-1.jpg

explorerbandpass.png

IMG952011122095233919_2.jpg

IMG_20111221_211417.jpg

I need to get some better pictures of the box. Fits perfect and sounds great. The box is also mostly carpeted now. I need to buy a sheet of coverboard to finish the front side of the box where the amp is.

Also planning on purchasing new 20"s ASAP with my tax returns and the money I am saving up from my new job.

Planning on purchasing these:
S816_BLACK_STD.jpg

And I'm stuck on the tires. Really leaning towards the Toyo Proxes STII, but also looking at the Falken Ziex S/TZ04. My grandparents have the Toyos on their Mariner and they said they are a great tire and are really quiet. Tire size will be 275/45/20.

Project for way down the road for any audio people is upgrading my current setup to 2 12" DC Audio M2 Lvl 4s and either a American Bass 200.1 or a DC Audio 3.5K. Not sure on a box yet. Thinking about a bandpass, but also thinking about a standard slot port box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe im wrong but I think if you painted your lower valance to match it would look pretty suave.

Nice truck!

I'm not too sure. May look funny. And with it being the lower valance, painting it may be a bad idea because of all the debris that flips up and hits it. A Photoshop may be in store.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yeah I thought about that, itd be very hard to do/maintain. But I think it would look super good if you could do it. We need some silver plasti dip!

Just thought I'd update with a few new pictures to show the truck without the roof rack.

DSC_0939.jpg

DSC_0949.jpg

DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0959.jpg

Also have a bid on a Mounty cluster for my LED cluster swap too so that should be in the works soon.

Wow man that looks amazing.

The roof racks make all the difference in the world! Makes it look sleeker and sportier with them removed.

i gotta say, for the year and change ive been frequenting this forum, i have seen an explosion in the number of awesome explorers that have been modded out. out here where i live, there arent too many modded explorers. mostly ill catch a lifted 1st gen, or a street truck 2nd or 3rd gen. i see a few sport tracs running around stock, but i have the only lifted sport trac ive seen in the entire bay area. it would be cool one day to participate in an explorer run out here in northern california.

The roof racks make all the difference in the world! Makes it look sleeker and sportier with them removed.

I was completely up in the air when I took them off, but after I left them off for a bit I fell in love. Gives the truck more of that street truck look and kinda resembles the look the new Jeep Grand Cherokee's have. Everyone else thinks I'm nuts for liking it without, but it cleans up the entire truck.

^What he said:D

Now get that thing lowered a hair;)

^What he said:D

Now get that thing lowered a hair;)

It's crossed my mind. Not the first thing on my list though. Got some other things to take care of first on it.

Got my Mounty cluster today in the mail. Stole this one for $40 shipped. May try and start disassembling it tomorrow so I can start on the process of removing the film from the numbers for the LED conversion.

DSC_0966.jpg

Ok haven't updated in a while. Did the LED conversion on my cluster. A bit of a PITA, BUT it came out quite nicely. Here is my write-up on the whole process and such.

Here is also a picture of the finished product:
_10151721383010217_594405216_24142429_1391186986_o.jpg

I just sprayed my A, B, and C pillars with self etching primer because they had the dreaded clearcoat fade. Waiting on those to dry and then I will sand them down and head to town to get black and clearcoat to finish up the job. Will post pictures when its all finished.

Got bored and did a photochop of something I want the truck to end up like.

X_reedit.jpg

Notice the eyelids.

Here's my updated photochop. Really like this idea. Hard to see, but there is a semi-transparent white stripe in the body stripe towards the bottom edge.

X_reedit_stripe.jpg

I just started on them today so I'm gonna be posting progress soon.

Dude, that would be one the sickest ex's ive ever seen.

It will happen. Not sure when, but it will happen. Already talked to my buddy about it who did my old car. Gotta start saving for it. Truck needs it pretty badly.

Well I lost my subs a few days ago and couldn't figure out why. Finally decided to tear the box apart and check the subs themselves. Somehow I fried 3 out of the 4 sets of leads to the voice coils, so recones were in order. I got the recones ordered on Friday and got the baskets ready for the recones when they come in so I can put everything back together when the recones come in hopefully Wednesday or Thursday.

475310_10151830882595217_708073044_o.jpg

Also my eyelids should be finished today and possibly on the truck. I will keep everyone up to date.

Well they are all done. They aren't perfect, but they are pretty damned close. Let me know what ya'll think.

DSC_1071.jpg

DSC_1069-1.jpg

DSC_1072.jpg

DSC_1073.jpg

Back