Engine swap "Cummin" soon | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap "Cummin" soon

The time has come for another engine swap in my '95 4 door 4x4.

The previous swap (SOHC/EEC-IV) isnt having problems, but the gas mileage is poor (15 MPG average over the past year).

Here's the patient (95 4 door 4x4):

DSCF1759.jpg

And its soon to be replaced heart ('01 SOHC):

DSCF1742.jpg

So, you may be saying to yourself, "oh boy, another 5.0l swap." The thought had crossed my mind. I have a 94 Cobra, that could use a bigger engine. Here's the 5.0 Cobra engine that could be used:

DSCF1752.jpg

But this is my daily driver and needs to get good mileage. I work 35 miles from home. Thats 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (2 weeks vacation) 17,500 miles a year just to get to work. Since I'm running the SOHC on the 95 EEC-IV computer, the higher compression requires me to run 93 octane.

Lets do some simple math:
20,000 miles
15 MPG
$3.75 a gallon (checked the price today on my way home)

Thats $5000 a year in fuel.

What can i swap in that makes power, get good mileage, and will last a few years you ask?

DSCF1750.jpg

Thats right folks.... Its a Cummins 4bt!
An 84K mile,
105 HP,
265 ft-lb
3.9l turbo diesel.

She's a little rusty and the turbos got some play, but for $1200... not bad.

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

It also came with a Neon SRT4 intercooler and an aftermarket header.

DSCF1744.jpg

She's clean inside!

DSCF1761.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone should know what this is. I have one on the way. :D

NocheatingLOL.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Alright I'll bite... an add on overdrive unit?

An Atlas transfer case.

Whoops, forgot I posted the pic.

Yup, its a US Gear overdrive. 20% overdrive. It should put my "6th" gear at 0.60 and allow me to split gears if need be.

It will put me at about 1700RPM at 75mph, give me a top speed of about 150MPH ;) , and I can keep the 3.55s I have already. (167MPH top speed with 3.08s at 3250 RPMS. :eek: )

while u have the front of the engine unencumbered (open) would be a good time to do the dreadefull KDP killer dowel pin fix,, also if u want a tach, it goes in place of the black cover in front of the fuel injection pump on the front cover, if interested, call me and i will send part numbers,, buck, or google 5.9 cummins tach drive

while u have the front of the engine unencumbered (open) would be a good time to do the dreadefull KDP killer dowel pin fix,, also if u want a tach, it goes in place of the black cover in front of the fuel injection pump on the front cover, if interested, call me and i will send part numbers,, buck, or google 5.9 cummins tach drive

KDP fixed.

I will be using the stock tach. I already have the Dakota Digital DSL-1 converter and flywheel pick-up.

i hads one those engines in a sullair air compressor that developed 130 hp, it had a cooler under a hat on the intake manifold, indestructable,, i think thyre made from old sewer covers and anvils, even my little worker brats couldnt kill it, the only thingk i have seen fail on these little engiones are water pumps,, injection pumps and fuel lift pumps, but only after literally hundreds of hours, and of course that hated, dreaded killer dowel, which wiped out the front of my 255 horse hotrod, took it all pretty much,,camshaft, fuel inj pump crankshaft,, all for the want of a horseshoe nail, a kingdom was lostif u have standard trans, look at us gear exhaust brake, ive had mine for 254 thou miles, i think i would rather take a beating than give it up,, buckoh, if u do get the exh brake, throw that little electronic controller away and put two buttons on your stick, stir it by hand,, engage and hold,good luck buck

Any updates on this beast?

Updates??? This is gunna be sweet!!!

Quick update for you guys....

I'm picking up an '03 Mounty with a blown 4.0l, 94K miles..... $800. The body and interior is in really nice shape. I'm pulling the SOHC out of my '95 and dropping it into this truck. That will give me a truck to drive and an empty engine compartment, waiting for a diesel.

The deal on the Mounty fell through, she doesnt want to sell it. She's going to give it to her nephew to "tinker" with. Whatever, I'll just offer her less in a few months, after he destroys the engine.

On to the real reason I'm here:

I got a sign this morning that its time to start the swap....

I was about a 1/2 mile from work, just pulled off the highway, started to accelerate to climb a hill and the engine rev'd, but the truck didnt go. I pulled off to the side of the road, tried all forward gears... Nothing. Put it in reverse... (Its only down the road, I can back up all the way there, :D)... Nothing. Put it in park, check the fluid... fluid looks good, just a little dirty, but way too high for a running engine. Called our tow company, 15 minutes and $35 later I got to work.

I checked the fluid again. Its at the same level whether the engine is running or not. I assume I have a pump or convertor problem. I'm not putting another 4r55e in this thing (already blew one of them up, they really dont like the SOHC, or maybe its my "aggressive" driving), the next trans that goes in here will be a ZF-s542.

I called my uncle to make arrangements to buy his old Ranger ('00 or '01) 4.0l, supercab 4dr, auto, 2wd for a new DD. One of the brakelines rusted out a while ago, he decided not to fix it and just go buy another Ranger, before they were all gone. So I'm waiting for him to call me back. For now I'm stuck driving this POS s-10 work truck.

Well, that sucks that the trans let go but (I think I am speaking for many) AWESOME that you have a donor and are going to get back to it!

Well, that sucks that the trans let go but (I think I am speaking for many) AWESOME that you have a donor and are going to get back to it!

Not really, this trans owes me nothing. Its a used trans from an Explorer that I parted out. This trans, in all reality, was free... After parting out the Ex of coarse.

I just got off the phone with my uncle, I'm stopping by his place on Thursday to check the truck out. I'll have to start a build thread on that one. I've got a 4/5 drop, 03-04 Cobra wheels, and a nice tonneau cover for it. Now to find a 93+ bed for my trailer to match my new truck.

I'm going to pick the Ranger up tomorrow after work. Turns out its an '01 with 98k miles.

I've got no updates for the diesel swap. I spend the weekend at Raceway Park watching the nationals.

I would like to say congrats to local Pro-stock Motorcycle racer, defending PSM champ, current PSM points leader, and long time family friend, Eddie Krawiec for his first hometown win in PSM. Here's a pic of all of us in the winner's circle.

1338774396.jpg

Here's the new DD. She needs a bath!

DSCF2028.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

Next to the soon-to-be-diesel Ex.
DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2030.jpg

The new DD is starting to look more like something I would own....

DSCF2039.jpg

Tire stick out a little, guess i'll have to flare the bedsides and fenders. And get rid of those ugly mudflaps.
DSCF2040.jpg

I need to plasti-dip the bumpers, grille, and emblems; tint the tails, 3rd brakelight, and the front markers; and lower it a little.

She still needs a bath.

nice wheels :thumbsup: :) they look good

Thanks, they've been sitting in my storage container since Steve bought them from you. I figured I might as well put them to good use.

How are you going to keep that heavy motor from wearing out the front end in a jiffy? The 2nd gens don't have the beefiest front ends.

Back