Project Double R... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Double R...

Yes I have a issues I can't stop messing with these Fords. This is my personal project, but not my first SAS Ranger project built one for buddy and he helped me. Which was my 2nd Ford SAS my first Ford SAS was my DD Project Merc (98 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8). Already have about 20k miles on the Merc in little over a year.
Merc build thread here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303902

The first Ranger SAS was TNT here is pic...
00003_Capture_4.jpg

My new Ranger just picked up April 15th 92 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 bad tranny picked it up for $750. Truck has 159k and pretty rust free just a few spots here and there. Code name Rock Ranger otherwise know as Double R.
20120415_180945.jpg

20120415_163234.jpg

Already sold the 8.8 and bed off it. I will be keeping this one pretty simple very similar to TNT.
Things I will be doing...
Trussed Cherokee High pinion Dana 30/ Explorer disc brake 8.8 4.56 gears.
Flatbed
Exo cage
Bronco II tank
Chevy 63-64" leafs
Shorten wheel base to 110"
And a lot more. Should be starting this beast next week I hope. Depends how the new kitchen goes for the boss(my wife for those not married).

And for those wondering why the Dana 30 they are cheap and parts are easy to come by. Which is nice if you do need replacement parts. The Mercs D30 has held up to over 13 trails and 35s with beadlocks without breakage so I would say it is very good axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worked on the interior some today. My wife put on another coat of orange while I worked on the front bumper and I got the pass side slider on. Still have to do the steps but at least I can wheel it now. I scrapped all the crappy window tint off the side windows they sucked even with my steamer machine.

20120602_104115.jpg

20120602_103925.jpg

20120602_123358.jpg

She is looking pretty inviting inside now. I had my wife pick up some new heavy duty floor mats and pitched the crap ones that were in it. I hosed down the carpet and scrubbed the crap out of it. She said she was driving the truck to work Monday. LOL I said that is fine with me.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice work on the bumper, i'm jealous you're wheelin' and i'm not.

Exactly one month today from the day I started building Double R. Truck is amazing and everyone who rides in is impressed how well it drives and rides(already put 700 miles on it since the SAS). By this time next month the exo will be done and should have a few more details done. Truck will ready for a new owner. Mostly built the truck to help raise funds for buying a new house this fall and to do something fun and different. And to prove once more the Dana 30 is one little stud of an axle. :D More Rangers to come soon!

Thanks Tom! Have you taken the Ex wheeling with those new 4.56 gears yet?

I have! I took it up Yankee Hill and down Cumberland Gulch on Sunday with my 6.5 year old. It's a pretty tame trail by your standards, but with my 30" tires, those rocks seem HUGE. It was slow going, but we both had fun.

The gears made it really nice- it went up anything I pointed it at (not that anything was THAT tough) and coming down in 4 LOW and in 1st gear, I could use the gas instead of the brake.

I like the bumper on RR. Would you be willing to do something similar on mine?

:D Been married almost 11 years your garage time gets longer the longer you been married cause they are just happy you are not bugging them. ;) Think I might put a bed and bath in my next garage. :D

I agree, on my days off she's happy that I am working on the Explorer, out of her hair so she says. Certainly need a couch and a TV in the garage... we just hit 20 years this past May.

Wow, I've been with mine for 16 years and can't get a free moment while she's home. Hahaha.

That was me a few years ago. She can tell I am always ready to go work on something so she tells me to go and now doesn't even ask what I am doing most of the time. She knows I don't drink, go out to the bars, or run around with my buddies. Just always wanting to build something. And as long as it is only me and whatever I am working on in the garage she is ok with it. LOL

I have! I took it up Yankee Hill and down Cumberland Gulch on Sunday with my 6.5 year old. It's a pretty tame trail by your standards, but with my 30" tires, those rocks seem HUGE. It was slow going, but we both had fun.

The gears made it really nice- it went up anything I pointed it at (not that anything was THAT tough) and coming down in 4 LOW and in 1st gear, I could use the gas instead of the brake.

I like the bumper on RR. Would you be willing to do something similar on mine?

Sweet! Yeah I am normally game to build Ford bumpers they actually have something to attach to beside sheet metal on most of the Jeeps. I weld my bumpers to frame so if that is ok with you I can build you one.

Back