2 weeks of mods finished! w/ lots of pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 weeks of mods finished! w/ lots of pictures

Karpiel73

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport
So I decided to bite the bullet and get the Ex. ready for this upcoming summer road trips. In no particular order I accomplished these mods:

1. Replace body mounts
2. Remove subwoofer & replace with storage compartment
3. Airlifter helper springs
4. F150 leaf springs custom mod
5. Trans temp. gauge w/ A pillar pod
6. Front end rebuild
7. Front end alignment
8. Accessory wire organization
9. Trailer LED marker lights

First one I tackled was the infamous rotted body mounts. I replaced 8/10 excluding the very front mounts. Mine were kinda bad and I used this thread for guidance: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213515

dsc02035f.jpg

dsc02036y.jpg

dsc02037b.jpg

And the new rear bushings. This repair was completed at 11pm so no good pictures of the new bushings. NO more knocking noise though!

dsc02159i.jpg

Next up was the subwoofer. Here's the thread I started for that: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355629 NOTE: the subwoofer assembly has been SOLD!

dsc021172.jpg

dsc021202.jpg

Now onto the transmission temperature gauge. I have a stock cooler so I wasn't too terribly worried about the transmission, but it couldn't hurt to add one. The filter was changed during this process too. Plus I would like to thank EVERYONE in this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176798 and the other threads linked inside there. Here's my install:

0517121527.jpg

<front-back>

dsc02133fj.jpg

<front-back>

dsc02136tk.jpg

^Glowshift gauge: http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/black-7-color-transmission-temperature-gauge.aspx
B&M transmission drain plug kit: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BM00/80250/N0616.oap?ck=Search_N0616_-1_-1&pt=N0616&ppt=C0377

Now onto the rear suspension. Got leaf springs off a '97 F150 minus the overload spring. My intentions were to cut down the leafs and add them to my leaf pack for lift, towing capacity, handling and to replace my 3" lift shackles for stock shackles. So that is just what I did. I only used 3 out of 4 of the leafs from the F150 however, which worked out perfectly as I actually gained 1.25" over the lift shackle height. It now has a 7 leaf pack, stock shackles, no gangster lean and the fenderwells sit at a cool 36.25". No ride quality was sacrificed, it doesn't squat nearly as bad when I get on it hard and the handling is AMAZING. So I am most pleased with this modification the most. The torsion bars were turned up so the front is at 35", so it has the perfect rake to her.

BEFORE
dsc02032cc.jpg

dsc02034hw.jpg

DURING: NOTE 4 jackstands are being utilized!
downsizeji.jpg

AFTER
dsc02128i.jpg

dsc02129t.jpg

dsc02132pf.jpg

To see the finished leaf packs continue working down to the Airlifter section!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Airlift helper springs: http://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/ridecontrol An absolutely incredible product for anyone that tows or is planning to tow anything or just load the cargo bay up. This could be used to level out Explorers with the gangster lean too. Also this could contribute to a fairly smooth ride after my 7 leaf pack install (5-10 lbs of air is recommended in the air spring at all times). I opted to not get a compressor because I don't mind manually filling the bags up (and air is free on base).

dsc02131b.jpg

dsc02130ry.jpg

Drivers side
dsc02139zv.jpg

Passenger side
dsc02142emd.jpg

Here is where I mounted the air valve (mirrored on the passenger side, note the custom fenderwell liners that I did 4 years ago)

dsc02141gr.jpg

Onto the front end! This is the thread that inspired me to carry on this project: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297369&highlight=ifs+parts I decided to go with all MOOG problem solver parts, all made in USA, because I didn't feel like having Frankenstein IFS. I replaced the UCA's, BJ's, sway bar end links, shocks, caster camber kit and a front left caliper. Afterwards I got her all aligned up but my old girl hates alignments and it's out already LOL! So i'll be taking her back soon. No pictures during the install cause I was in a wicked rush to get done before the shop closed for the weekend.

Drivers side:
dsc02156fo.jpg

Passenger: NOTE one piece UCA now! :D

dsc02157rc.jpg

Now for accessory wire organizing, I have alot more accessories than what meets the eye so it was time to clean up under the hood (fuse box posts) to give me more room to add more accessories to the fuse box posts :D

dsc02155tb.jpg

Last but surely NOT least, this my one of my biggest wiring jobs I have ever done to date and it turned out better than expected! I wanted to look like an 18 wheeler all lit up like some do rolling down the interstate so I underwent this huge project of outlining the trailer with amber and red LED lights. (I like lights for some reason...:) )

dsc02161small.jpg

dsc02165small.jpg

dsc02167small.jpg

PHEW! Those are my 2 weeks and what I did right around Memorial day. I put ALOT of hours into the old girl and trailer so it had to be shared. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask, that's how I was able to do all of this! If anything was forgotten it will be added as I remember. Thanks to ALL Explorer Forum users that have helped me along the way! :salute: And now for 2 parting shots atop the stunning Snowshoe mountain, WV:

dsc02146small.jpg

dsc02144small.jpg

Nice work! It looks like you really put a lot of time and effort into it!

Nice Sport , Lots Of Nice Mods And Nice Trailer As Well , What Weight Are you normally hauling in there . Just wondering how well it Tows for you , Very Nice Explorer And Clean !

Nice Sport , Lots Of Nice Mods And Nice Trailer As Well , What Weight Are you normally hauling in there . Just wondering how well it Tows for you , Very Nice Explorer And Clean !

The trailer weighs 1200 lbs. empty and for that Snowshoe trip I guesstimate I had about 600 lbs in the trailer. It tows it very well for a V6, although it is slow going up through the mountains. Very hard to keep momentum.

Incredible!!

The trailer weighs 1200 lbs. empty and for that Snowshoe trip I guesstimate I had about 600 lbs in the trailer. It tows it very well for a V6, although it is slow going up through the mountains. Very hard to keep momentum.

That what I was Assuming , Sweet Rig and Trailer Man Give You Props For all The Led Work !!

love the trailer.. i have to do my front end and not looking foward to it.. bushing, links and all yup fun stuff

Trailer pictures updated

I love what you have done to the rear suspension! You have filled my head with many ideas...;)

Sweet looking ride

I love what you have done to the rear suspension! You have filled my head with many ideas...;)

Thank you all! This site is dangerous isn't it?!?! :)

any pictures with all the trucks lights on

Awesome job! Can you post info on the rear leaves by chance?

Hope to see that thing at Gulches in August!

Excellent work! Always gratifying to see the efforts of a "hands on" owner pay off.

Upgrades are well planned and functional without going overboard. Congrats & enjoy. :thumbsup:

Awesome job! Can you post info on the rear leaves by chance?

Hope to see that thing at Gulches in August!

Sure! What do you wanna know about them? How do I do a multi reply? (I've only done it once and that was too long ago)

Excellent work! Always gratifying to see the efforts of a "hands on" owner pay off.

Upgrades are well planned and functional without going overboard. Congrats & enjoy. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wanted to say I am in love with your explorer. The look of it is just flawless

Back