Water Leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cabin water leak

I purchase a 2011 Limited 4WD Explorer in July. I was recently on vacation this past weekend and encountered a lot of rain. When my 8 year old sat in the 3rd row and buckled the seatbelt, water started streaming down the webbing and I also noticed water on the speaker grill. This has happened twice so far.

This was the on the Right Rear 3rd Row. Any idea where the water is entering?

I had the same problem with water running down the rear driver side seatbelt when it rained in my one month old 2011 Explorer. I saw some threads where it could be the roof seams and when I contacted Ford they said there is no TSB for this and there was not a known fix. After leaving it at the dealer for them to check out I get a call saying it is fixed and they had a water guy come in and find the leak and he re-sealed the roof and quarter panel. The dealer couldn't tell me what they used and I am now concerned with how long this product will last. I am pretty sure the seam was welded at the factory and now I have some goop sealing it. not good

Add me to the list of leaky right rear seatbelt leaks! In my used 2011 Limited, went to open the hatch today in the rain to load groceries and noticed water running down the 3rd row seatbelt. I only noticed it when the rear hatch was opened. Drove home into the garage, opened the rear hatch and it was dry, no water....so I'm guessing it only does it when the rear hatch is open. In any case, I'm going to call the local dealer and ask if he knows of the problem, otherwise I'm not going to waste my time and rental car money for them to have it for 2 weeks and tell me they don't find anything.

Well, just realized it leaks all the time, not only when the rear hatch is open.

Mine leaks too. Had it fixed last week, was at the dealer for 5 days. Has only rained once, so not enough to tell if it still leaks as it is an intermittent problem.

3rd row seatbelt water leak

Mine was leaking too. Dealer tried to fix it but failed. I narrowed it down to a body seam about 6 in long right in front of rear hatch hinges. I sealed these and also around hinges.No more leak. It's hard to get the leak to show when hatch is closed because weatherstrip channels roof water to the sides of the hinge channel.

Well, just realized it leaks all the time, not only when the rear hatch is open.
I want to see the leak found, scotty7676; please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage so I can forward the details to your regional Customer Service Manager.

Mine leaks too. Had it fixed last week, was at the dealer for 5 days. Has only rained once, so not enough to tell if it still leaks as it is an intermittent problem.
I see you have a follow-up scheduled, harlenm. Let me know via PM if you’d like Angela to call sooner.

Mine was leaking too. Dealer tried to fix it but failed. I narrowed it down to a body seam about 6 in long right in front of rear hatch hinges. I sealed these and also around hinges.No more leak...
I’m glad the leak is gone, lbcharger… I wouldn’t want your skin to start pruning up. ;)

Cory

Not Happy....

I just found another Water Leak in my Explorer. It was in the dealer for 2 weeks last year for the same problem. They insured me that it was fixed!

Guess Again. Now I have to through this all over again.

The interior did not get put back together correctly the last time. Headliner, A Piller, B Piller, C Piller & D Piller Trim panels have to come off in order to fix.

It came back with the trim panels loose. Dealer stated that was normal.

I recommend that all Explorer owner check the 3rd row after it rains. Check the 3rd row seat belt for dampness, water on the speaker grills, water on the carpet......

Most of the time, drivers do not have occupants sitting in the 3rd row, so they would never know they have a water leak. This has many implications for causing future problems.

- Rust on the Seat belt retractor - Potential failure in crash
- Water soaked carpet - Mold
- Water on speaker wires - Shorted out or Inop.
- Rust on seat Brackets / Bolts - Failure in crash

This is a list of all the problems that I have had the past 11 months.
1 - Rear bumper loose. Missing manufacturing clips
2 - Navigation didn't work (1st time) - Replaced Card
3 - Navigation still didn't work (2nd time) - replaced Hub
4 - Water Leak in cabin (1st time) - One week in the shop - Dealer couldn't find leak.
5 - Water Leak in cabin - (2nd Time) - Oh Yeah there it is - Another week in shop - broken seal. They say its fixed.
6 - Loose Trim Panels on A,B & C pillars - Dealer stated that's normal - Really???
7 - Back Up Camera doesn't work (intermittent)- Need to wait for MFT upgrade
8 - Phone doesn't Sync anymore- Need to wait for MFT upgrade
9 - Just received the MFT upgrade - very simple instructions. Turn vehicle on, Turn Audio on, insert USB upgrade, follow instructions - takes about 1 hour. 4 hours into the upgrade the installation was stuck on "installing 3 of 15". I couldn't leave it running all night so I was forced to shut it off. Turned the vehicle back on in the morning and nothing was working - The whole center stack was completely blank. Nothing would turn on. Back to the Dealer. Dealer gave a loner because they can't figure it out.
10 - Just found another Water Leak............Another week in the shop.

Good luck to future buyer............you need it.

I just found another Water Leak in my Explorer. It was in the dealer for 2 weeks last year for the same problem. They insured me that it was fixed!

Guess Again. Now I have to through this all over again.

The interior did not get put back together correctly the last time. Headliner, A Piller, B Piller, C Piller & D Piller Trim panels have to come off in order to fix.

It came back with the trim panels loose. Dealer stated that was normal. They will probably be hanging by a thread this time around.

Were they loose before you took it in the first time? If not, then how can it be normal? I would expect to get it back in the same condition or better than when I left it

My headliner was not pulled to fix water leak. It was done from outside the vehicle.

i had this exact same problem. I found 6-8 inches of stale water sitting in my spare tire wheel well. Dealer did not inform me if it was a leak near the rear of the vehicle or not. But the water was coming down that rear pillar and getting the 3rd row belt wet.

Curious, do you have the dual moonroof? I do and read on here that a few others found water in their door compartments. Culprit was a slightly kinked sunroof drain hose.

Who is your dealer? Sounds like your having dealer issues. I would go to another dealer if you can.

Also, as you have already discovered unfortunately. The large MFT update is better suited for a dealer install.

Were they loose before you took it in the first time? If not, then how can it be normal? I would expect to get it back in the same condition or better than when I left it

No they wern't. That was my biggest concern the first time when they tore the interior appart. When i got it back, they were loose on both sides of the vehicle.

The vehicle is never the same when it's reassembled outside the factory.

This may fall under the MIchigan Lemon Law. In the shop 3 times for same problem.

i had this exact same problem. I found 6-8 inches of stale water sitting in my spare tire wheel well. Dealer did not inform me if it was a leak near the rear of the vehicle or not. But the water was coming down that rear pillar and getting the 3rd row belt wet.

Curious, do you have the dual moonroof? I do and read on here that a few others found water in their door compartments. Culprit was a slightly kinked sunroof drain hose.

Who is your dealer? Sounds like your having dealer issues. I would go to another dealer if you can.

Also, as you have already discovered unfortunately. The large MFT update is better suited for a dealer install.

I do have the dual moon roof. The first fix, they stated that the seam was cracked at the roof and side panel. They fixed it with a type of epoxy. Obviously, they didn't check the whole vehicle.

The dealer and I are going to have a nice discussion about what they're going to do for me.

Leak Found....

Thought I would post in this chain, although my leak doesn't exactly match with what you guys found. My leak is on the passenger's side, in what appears to be in the column between the front passenger window and 2nd row passenger side. I notice the fabric wet at the very top of the column (close to the roof), it seems to be running behind the column panel, comes out from the seat belt column mount and then runs down to the footweel/under passenger seat.

This only happens during a hard rain. 1st time it happened was while on vacation last week - took to a local Ford dealer and they couldn't recreate the leak. They also checked all the drains and those seemed to be working correctly. Since they couldn't recreate the leak, they didn't really have any other suggestions other than taking down the inside roof lining, etc....which I didn't have time for them to do.

Hard rain again last night and same problem. Going to my dealer here in Atlanta tomorrow....fingers crossed!

Any chance this could be from the factory mounted roof rack? Any other advice/suggestions? Thanks!

Yet another

Chalk another one up here. My truck leaked the first week I got it and was attempted to be repaired. A few weeks later I found it soaked again in the back coming from near the seat belts for the 3rd row and it went back in. Well, I live in Central FL and we got a nice 20" inches of rain in couple of days courtesy TS Debbie and the next day it was soaked again. I took it in two weeks ago and after arguing that I wasn't going to pay for a rental for the 3rd time it's been worked on they gave me a loaner. They then told me that it was leaking from the spare tire well and they replaced the plugs. The service adviser said it must have been leaching up and getting my seats wet. I argued there was no way but he said there was nothing they could do. Well, if anyone has even been to the Tampa area they know we get frequent downpours in the afternoon, just about every day and yesterday was one of them. Got in the car this morning, wreaked of mildew and under the 3rd row is soaked again. I'm at my whits end, between this and having to pull my Sync fuse every other week to get it to reset, I don't know what to do. Lemon laws aren't exactly cut and dry the best thing to do and I really don't want to pursue that route. I'm honestly at a loss as of what to do next.

Here is a quick video of the leak in yesterdays afternoon storm.

Yep, I would have to agree with your narration in the video and with Ford's assessment, No leak. I think that your problem is your EX is afraid of the rain, and like some dogs when they get scared, they wet themselves....:eek:

Is it just the 2011 models with this leak issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chalk another one up here. My truck leaked the first week I got it and was attempted to be repaired. A few weeks later I found it soaked again in the back coming from near the seat belts for the 3rd row and it went back in. Well, I live in Central FL and we got a nice 20" inches of rain in couple of days courtesy TS Debbie and the next day it was soaked again. I took it in two weeks ago and after arguing that I wasn't going to pay for a rental for the 3rd time it's been worked on they gave me a loaner. They then told me that it was leaking from the spare tire well and they replaced the plugs. The service adviser said it must have been leaching up and getting my seats wet. I argued there was no way but he said there was nothing they could do. Well, if anyone has even been to the Tampa area they know we get frequent downpours in the afternoon, just about every day and yesterday was one of them. Got in the car this morning, wreaked of mildew and under the 3rd row is soaked again. I'm at my whits end, between this and having to pull my Sync fuse every other week to get it to reset, I don't know what to do. Lemon laws aren't exactly cut and dry the best thing to do and I really don't want to pursue that route. I'm honestly at a loss as of what to do next.

This sucks, I would be upset if my ex leaked as you posted in the video.
Ask Cory, Ford representative on this forum, to escalate your issue to get it resolved.

Back