Emergency: 2011 Ford Explorer XLT right turn signal stuck, won't cancel!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency: 2011 Ford Explorer XLT right turn signal stuck, won't cancel!!

steelkilt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT and 2002 XLT
emergency, I'm about to head out to Baltimore for the liverpool-tottenham match and my 2011 explorer xlt turn signal is literally stuck in the right turn mode. Turn right, it does not cancel, just keeps blinking. No amount of manual movement of the stalk will cancel it. Ideas? anyone else have this problem?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

emergency, I'm about to head out to Baltimore for the liverpool-tottenham match and my 2011 explorer xlt turn signal is literally stuck in the right turn mode. Turn right, it does not cancel, just keeps blinking. No amount of manual movement of the stalk will cancel it. Ideas? anyone else have this problem?

thanks
Haven't read about this problem before. Seems as though you may have a problem within the switch. If you haven't got time to visit a dealer before your trip have you tried banging on the steering column or moving the column around to see if you can create a thump to see if you can jar the switch?
Not really hi tech solutions but I don't know what else to suggest. I doubt disconnecting the battery would do anything, but hey, it's all electronics and who knows what interactions there may be.
I'm haven't really liked the turn signal switch in this vehicle since day 1.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Tried both those techniques this morning (battery and steering column thump), no dice. Luckily the 2002 Explorer came home in time. Took it to the game, that vehicle never lets us down!!

Anyway, just another in an unfortunately long and growing list of problems with the 2011. Last summer it was engine overheating on highway due to the botched cooling fan design. We've got the transmission clunk at low speeds, the reedy wind sound @ A-pillar, rattling windows during power up/down etc.

No one in my house likes the overly-complex turn signal design, now we like it even less. Actually a very dangerous situation as my wife was in the car today when the turn signal stuck.

Off to the dealer on Monday, along with list of TSBs.

thanks

Thanks Peter. Tried both those techniques this morning (battery and steering column thump), no dice. Luckily the 2002 Explorer came home in time. Took it to the game, that vehicle never lets us down!!

Anyway, just another in an unfortunately long and growing list of problems with the 2011. Last summer it was engine overheating on highway due to the botched cooling fan design. We've got the transmission clunk at low speeds, the reedy wind sound @ A-pillar, rattling windows during power up/down etc.

No one in my house likes the overly-complex turn signal design, now we like it even less. Actually a very dangerous situation as my wife was in the car today when the turn signal stuck.

Off to the dealer on Monday, along with list of TSBs.

thanks
Just curious to know if the left signal will still work even though the right one is stuck on.
Please keep us updated after your dealer visit.
Thanks.

Peter

You could try resetting the fuse, that might do it

Just curious to know if the left signal will still work even though the right one is stuck on.
Please keep us updated after your dealer visit.
Thanks.

Peter

Will definitely update the group. The only way to stop the right signal from flashing is to pull the stalk down in opposite direction (normal cancel procedure) and hold it down! Once I let it "retract," right signal continues flashing.

Had something similar happen with mine. I let a friend use it and he was trying to get the wipers to work and pulled the ball of the stalk slightly out of it's socket. Caused the wipers to randomly swipe and the turn signal to randomly turn on. I fixed it by popping the ball back in the socket (which took about half an hour of wrangling around with it.)

trying that tomorrow!

Pull the fuse and keep it out for over a minute, lets face it alot of whats nder the hood is lass mechanical and more computer now a days.

When in doubt reboot is what I always say.... I also say use more club than what the shot asks for and swing easier and in control...but thats another subject.

Good luck

Pull the fuse and keep it out for over a minute, lets face it alot of whats nder the hood is lass mechanical and more computer now a days.

When in doubt reboot is what I always say.... I also say use more club than what the shot asks for and swing easier and in control...but thats another subject.

Good luck

Thanks, just pulled every fuse linked to turn signals. The only fuse that stops the behavior is the instrument cluster fuse, which of course blacks out the whole instrument cluster. After I pulled each fuse, I checked it (all were in fine condition), started the car without each pulled fuse, observed behavior, turned car off, re-installed fuse. So each fuse I pulled was out for at least a minute.

Of note: when the turn signal stalk is pulled down and held down, the right turn signal will stop. However, the left turn signals do not activate at all. Once I let the stalk return to center, right turn signal starts again. This leads me to conclude that the problem is within the steering column where I think some sort of gear-type ring has worked its way into a misaligned mode. The turn signal stalk appears to be resetting to the proper central position, but the gear-type ring within the steering column must be off-kilter. This explains why pulling the stalk down, and holding it down, will cancel the right turn action -- but only as long as the stalk is held down. I suppose it's possible some plastic nub either within the stalk gear or within the steering wheel gear has shorn off.

Car goes in tomorrow morning unless someone comes up with a miracle cure. I need to take it in anyway for all the TSB peculiarities. Thanks to everyone for the help. I will return the favor with extensive notes on how this problem is eventually resolved. Definitely love/hate with this 2011. cheers

Sounds like you have a bad switch and/or wiring in the column.

If you pulled the battery cable, that should have reset all electrical devices at one time.

Definitely time for a trip to the dealer.

thanks

Sorry to hear about your turn signal problems. Good luck with getting the issue fixed at the dealership.

On I side note, I'm jealous you attended that match :)

How was the game? It looked really hot there in Baltimore watching it on tv. I'm pretty excited since I'll be going to one of the World Football Challenge games this Thursday. I'm going to the LA Galaxy vs Real Madrid game. There are some more games in your neck of the woods coming up. Will you be attending any of those?

I'm dying to know what the issue was....

My Explorer JUST started doing this as well!

My Explorer is doing this exact same thing!
It started while driving on the highway today when I wasn't using the signal.
Now I'm hours away from home with a couple more days for my trip...and all I can do is turn right!

I swung buy a dealer at 4:45 (just before closing) and they suggested I come back the next day...super.

What finally resolved the issue for you?

If none of the above works, move to a Florida retirement community. You'll fit right in :D

Now I'm hours away from home with a couple more days for my trip...and all I can do is turn right!

I swung buy a dealer at 4:45 (just before closing) and they suggested I come back the next day...super.

Welcome to the Forum Cowbelly.:wavey:
I guess a career in NASCAR is out. I think they all turn left.;)
Seriously, I think this is something that should be looked at ASAP as it could be a 'safety' issue when on the road. If mine did that, I think I'd be tempted to turn on the 4 way flashers. At least that way people wouldn't think you were going to turn at every intersection. I would think that the entire signal mechanism will likely have to be replaced. This issue with the signals seems to be isolated to the 2013 models. Which, I guess, is a good thing for owners of the other models.
Good luck.

Peter

Dealer replaced the internal switch assembly, i believe.

our explorer developed this problem this evening! It's identical to steelkit's issue:
The right blinker is staying on. When the turn signal stalk is pulled down and held down, the right turn signal will stop. However, the left turn signals do not activate at all. Once I let the stalk return to center, right turn signal starts again.

To me this is a safety issue, since traffic ahead of us might pull in front of us thinking we are turning right!

About two months ago our windshield wipers would not turn off and that stalk had to be replaced, now this!

I am at 38K miles, Cristal, can you help to get this covered under warranty?
I'll take it on Monday to the dealership!
In the meantime, I like Peter's idea about driving with the hazards on, at least they won't think I'm turning when I'm not !

our explorer developed this problem this evening! It's identical to steelkit's issue:
The right blinker is staying on. When the turn signal stalk is pulled down and held down, the right turn signal will stop. However, the left turn signals do not activate at all. Once I let the stalk return to center, right turn signal starts again.

To me this is a safety issue, since traffic ahead of us might pull in front of us thinking we are turning right!

About two months ago our windshield wipers would not turn off and that stalk had to be replaced, now this!

I am at 38K miles, Cristal, can you help to get this covered under warranty?
I'll take it on Monday to the dealership!
In the meantime, I like Peter's idea about driving with the hazards on, at least they won't think I'm turning when I'm not !
I think this is the first report of that issue with a 2011 model. I'm not sure how difficult it is to remove the bulb. I haven't checked. That may be a better solution. Not sure if the Ford reps are here on the weekend. Ashley usually covers the evening shift weekdays. Here is the link to PM them. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will definitely update the group. The only way to stop the right signal from flashing is to pull the stalk down in opposite direction (normal cancel procedure) and hold it down! Once I let it "retract," right signal continues flashing.

Happened on my 2011. Just bungee corded it down till dealer replaced. No big deal.

Back