97 Explorer AWD 5.0 hard shift from 1st to 2nd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer AWD 5.0 hard shift from 1st to 2nd

Paul G

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0
Hello,

I have been reading these threads for a while, and tried a few suggestions from previous members, but to no resolve.

I recently bought a 97 Ford Explorer awd 5.0.

A Few days after buying it I noticed it would shift pretty hard from 1st gear to 2nd. If I am light on the gas its a light to moderate shift (but will still tend to launch forward).

If I am accelerating a little faster it will sound like a bang with the hard shift. (You can feel it hit in your seat)

I flushed the tranny and put in the lucas oil for hard shifting (did this last night). It hasn't changed much slightly smoother, but hard to say for sure.

My OD light isn't flashing or anything like I have heard from others.

I was hoping somebody might have a few suggestions on what I should do.

I have been avoiding first gear by starting out of 2nd then going to drive which is fine, but would like to be able to use 1st.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

btw: not sure which transmission it is, but it has 14 bolts for the pan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would there be an easy way to check it before replacing the parts. If I did replace the parts what kind of labor are we talking.

Would there be an easy way to check it before replacing the parts. If I did replace the parts what kind of labor are we talking.
It is located in the valve body. A shift kit would have the required parts. That is the type of labor it would involve.

Is there a diagram or instructions somewhere that I could follow?

Would I need to drop the tranny or could I do it through the pan?

Awesome!! I appreciate the help and info. Now its time to get some parts, and get back back to work.

p.s. While I work on replacing the 1-2 accumulator, is there anything else I should look for while in there. Just don't want to put it all together to take it apart again.

Usually the 1-2 Accumulator springs break and cause harsh shift.

Thanks for your guys help!! I found a parts list here to replace the 1-2 Accumulator should anyone else find the need for it.

Does this look right to you guys? Just want to double check, wasn't sure about needing 3 springs. But on the other hand its only $6 bucks better to have it and not need it then vice versa.

1L3Z-7F284-AA Dark Blue Bottom Inner $5.48
1L3Z-7F284-BA Yellow Bottom Outer $5.48
F75Z-7F284-BA stiff top $5.55
F7AZ-7F251-AA Molded acc piston $18.32
F4AZ-7F247-A cover & seal $8.32
(76890-TL Tool kit recommended)

So I am looking at this diagram of the 1-2 accumulator and noticed on my parts list I don't have the bore sleeves.

Would I just use the old ones or should I be replacing those as well?

I have a same vehicle with the same issue. Do you have the complete parts list? Also, did you have to pull the valve body?

Back