• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat housing question

mongold88

Reaction score
City, State
winchester, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer xlt
I have a 98 explorer and the thermostat housing has the screw in temp sensors. I have a thermostat housing from a new 4.0L motor, came out of a ranger, it has the clip in sensors. Will this housing work with my explorer? Will the gauge and computer read right off of the clip in sensors?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent conversion to the newer RH144 lower housing with upgraded sensors.
Basic repair only requires housing, sensors, retainer clips, and gaskets. (T-stat optional)
An upgrade from the leak prone threaded sensor housing at a fraction of the price.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239493

Thanks. Yea I just wanted to make sure the sensors would read right before I went through the process. Thanks again.

You may also consider changing the water pump bypass hose while apart.
Very inexpensive and a real PITA to replace after everything's assembled.

If you'll permit me I have a question. How can you tell from simply looking at the sensors, what type you have? Screw or clip on. Mine is a 1998. Should I assume that for that year it is the screw type. I guess my best bet would be to buy a kit that brings a new pair of sensors!
Regards

Excellent conversion to the newer RH144 lower housing with upgraded sensors.
Basic repair only requires housing, sensors, retainer clips, and gaskets. (T-stat optional)
An upgrade from the leak prone threaded sensor housing at a fraction of the price.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239493

Hiya. Do you know if this will work for hte 2001 4.0L (Sport Trac)? Mine has the krappy, brittle plastic pos. Thanks for any help.

Hiya. Do you know if this will work for hte 2001 4.0L (Sport Trac)? Mine has the krappy, brittle plastic pos. Thanks for any help.
The RH144 two sensor and RH148 single sensor housings are identical with that exception.
They are still made of composite plastic, possibly ABS, but reportedly an improved design.
Open your hood to see which housing you have and follow this excellent tutorial link below:

http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

If you'll permit me I have a question. How can you tell from simply looking at the sensors, what type you have? Screw or clip on. Mine is a 1998. Should I assume that for that year it is the screw type. I guess my best bet would be to buy a kit that brings a new pair of sensors!
Regards
Your '98 has the older threaded sensors and housing unless it was repaired.
I believe the older sensors are also different sizes. (See pic in the link below)
Physically look at the base of the sensors and look for these retainer clips.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310429

DSC02236.jpg
DSC02232.jpg

Don't know if I should start a new thread!

I replaced my thermostat housing and all went well. A few months later I began noticing water bottle loosing fluid. I checked and found that fluid was leaking from under the engine towards the from part. Every morning I would find a puddle of liquid/coolant on the ground. Off late it only looses about a gallon every ten days or so. Less than before. Whatever it is, it never leaks while driving or while engine is hot. I would park my vehicle at nights and no leaks. But sure enough in the mornings you see the coolant dripping. I have taken it to 3 mechanics and they cannot find where it is coming from. (It leaks) only when engine is cool. Every morning. As I say it is becoming less and less bt still there! The radiator is new and no signs of leak from there. Enough room available to look around. But by water pump not much viewing capabilities.!!

Any advice that is provided will be appreciated. Should I proceed to remove the fan cover and fan??

Back