Active Phone Number Management | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Active Phone Number Management

chili-cat

Reaction score
This is a question for Rebecca, but I'd like to hear if others have an issue with Sync's requirement to only have one "active" phone number per Sync account. Here's my situation:

I own two vehicles with Sync. My wife and I both have smartphones and like to be able to send directions to Sync using our phones. Sometimes I drive her vehicle, sometimes she drives mine. Syncmyride allows me to have both vehicles on one account and both of our phones associated with the account. But if we're both in each of the vehicles and want to send a location to Sync for the vehicle we're in, one of us has to change the active phone number on the account before being able to send the location to sync.

I don't think that I should have to check syncmyride.com to verify the active phone number before I want to send a location to either vehicle from either phone. My parents have the exact same problem with their two Fords.

My question is: Is this an oversight in programming, or a limitation of the system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a question for Rebecca, but I'd like to hear if others have an issue with Sync's requirement to only have one "active" phone number per Sync account. Here's my situation:

I own two vehicles with Sync. My wife and I both have smartphones and like to be able to send directions to Sync using our phones. Sometimes I drive her vehicle, sometimes she drives mine. Syncmyride allows me to have both vehicles on one account and both of our phones associated with the account. But if we're both in each of the vehicles and want to send a location to Sync for the vehicle we're in, one of us has to change the active phone number on the account before being able to send the location to sync.

I don't think that I should have to check syncmyride.com to verify the active phone number before I want to send a location to either vehicle from either phone. My parents have the exact same problem with their two Fords.

My question is: Is this an oversight in programming, or a limitation of the system?

I don't think this issue is an oversight in programming. It's just the way the Sync system works. It don't feel it's a limitation of the system either. I think it was designed with one phone in mind.

For example, just say both you and your wife are in one of the vehicles. You have to connect to Sync with a phone to get the directions. Since you are both in the vehicle with both phones, it would be impossible for 2 phones to connect to Sync at the same time. I'm sure that's one of the reasons why only one phone can be associated with each of the vehicles.

As far as sending directions, it shouldn't matter which phone you use to send the directions using Ford's App. For example, if you are driving your wife's vehicle, you can send the directions from your phone to Sync. You would have to use her phone to download the directions from Sync though since that's the active phone. I have a work phone and a personal phone. My work phone is the active phone for my Sync account. I can send directions to Sync from the Ford App with my personal phone. I have to use my work phone though to download the directions.

With your unique situation of sometimes changing vehicles with your wife, you will have to change the active number like you are currently doing. Unfortunately there are really no other options that I'm aware of besides what you are currently doing. So when you are driving your wife's vehicle, you have to change the active phone to your phone to get the directions.

A good idea for Ford to address situations like yours where a couple has 2 Ford's with Sync is the ability to change the active phone on the Sync account with a voice command instead of doing it by logging onto the website.

Hey, chili-cat!

This isn't an oversight or limitation. SYNCMyRide.com was created with the mindset of having one customer per account. If you'd like, create a second account for one of the vehicles and send me both VINs in a private message; I'll get the free or purchased Services moved over.

... A good idea for Ford to address situations like yours where a couple has 2 Ford's with Sync is the ability to change the active phone on the Sync account with a voice command instead of doing it by logging onto the website.

That's a great idea, boltsfan17! You should totally submit that as an idea on FordSocial under Your Ideas. Here's the link:

www.Social.Ford.com

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Thanks for the workaround! I set up the second account and pm'd you the VIN's. If this works as it should, I'd like to set up my parents the same way. Told some friends with the same situation, too.

Thanks again...

Rebecca,

Thanks for the workaround! I set up the second account and pm'd you the VIN's. If this works as it should, I'd like to set up my parents the same way. Told some friends with the same situation, too.

Thanks again...

No problem, chili-cat! I have requested your Services be moved; give it two or three days and check your wife's account. If it's still asking you to pay for SYNC Services on Wednesday, please shoot me another message. :)

Rebecca

Back