Lift Shackle Differences | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Shackle Differences

Exploder919

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Currently I've been researching lift shackles and deciding which to go with and I've come up with two candidates.

The first is the Belltech 6400 Shackle Kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Belltech-6400-Shackle-Kit/dp/B000CIKAPA/ref=sr_1_17?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1345238694&sr=1-17&keywords=lift+shackle

The second is the Warrior Shackle(WAR153):
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/6362

The problem I'm having though, is that the Warrior shackle is only 1.25" lift and will remove my stock shackle, which is still good and solid. However, the Belltech is a 2" lift and has bushings in it. The problem though is that I know it's meant as a lowering shackle.

Any thoughts would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm showing those bell tech's as being lowering shackles.. Honestly I'd go with Warriors.. They've been used alot on here with never an issue.

Warriors

Are there any 2" lift warrior shackles? I've mostly seen 1.25" ones

You can have some custom made for you. They're not too hard to make, so they shouldn't be too expensive. Someone had a formula for estimating the lift you get from the shackles. It's like half of however much longer they are. So, I guess for a rough estimate on how long you would need them to be, take however much lift you want (2'), double it (4"), then add it to the stock shackle length. Not sure how long it is though at the moment. Dorman makes OEM ones though, so google "dorman explorer shackle" and see if any of the sites selling them lists the length, then use the formula, then go ask a local weld shop to make some for you.

If what I said was wrong, I'm very sorry, and I hope someone will correct me.

I saw that somewhere on here, the exact measurements of the shackle, but stuff like that makes me nervous sometimes

i may get hammered but you could also run lift shackles from auto zone. thing they are up to $13 now both sides included. Ive had them on three ex's and NEVER had to question them. Solid 2 inch lift

For a lower cost, you could buy a long add-a-leaf for about 2" and possibly even an additional short add-a-leaf for another 2" if you want more lift. Of course, you could go either way if you just want 2", short or long. Each add-a-leaf is about $35. You also wouldn't have to worry about flattening out your springs. You'd gain a bit stiffer of a rear end as well, which I kind of like, especially now with my rear sway bar removed.

I removed my Warrior shackles in favor of add-a-leaf this spring and prefer the latter.

JMO

For a lower cost, you could buy a long add-a-leaf for about 2" and possibly even an additional short add-a-leaf for another 2" if you want more lift. Of course, you could go either way if you just want 2", short or long. Each add-a-leaf is about $35. You also wouldn't have to worry about flattening out your springs. You'd gain a bit stiffer of a rear end as well, which I kind of like, especially now with my rear sway bar removed.

I removed my Warrior shackles in favor of add-a-leaf this spring and prefer the latter.

JMO

I have thought about AALs, however, my rear shocks are pretty stiff and I thought using AAL would make it too stiff.

What kind of difference is there between the long AAL and short AAL?

This may (or not), be off topic, but back in the day, late 60's early70's, we used to make our own shackles. Does anyone do this any more? And, on leveling out the springs, it is myfeeling that you get a smoother ride if the springs are more level, (less arch). But that may notbe the ride you are looking for. Can any one shed any light on making your own shackles?

I'm not sure what the difference really is between the long and short add a leaf. I'm going to do some homework.

Go with the autozone shackles for $13 they will give you exactly what you e looking for and they will last

I'm just not a fan of inverted leaf packs. $13 is cheap though.

But don't get me wrong, they are appealing. At least the Mr. Gasket ones

I have the cheapo shackles on now, yes they do work, but i'm sure i get side to side sway because they lack a center support... I have a good set of lift shackles to put on when i have a chance.

When do you feel the sway?

I don't know that i can "feel" it but i'm sure off road when i'm flexing they flex side to side. It wouldn't shock me if hard cornering made them flex side to side as well though.

You can have some custom made for you. They're not too hard to make, so they shouldn't be too expensive. Someone had a formula for estimating the lift you get from the shackles. It's like half of however much longer they are. So, I guess for a rough estimate on how long you would need them to be, take however much lift you want (2'), double it (4"), then add it to the stock shackle length. Not sure how long it is though at the moment. Dorman makes OEM ones though, so google "dorman explorer shackle" and see if any of the sites selling them lists the length, then use the formula, then go ask a local weld shop to make some for you.

If what I said was wrong, I'm very sorry, and I hope someone will correct me.

After some site searching, I found these measurements.

warrior.jpg

I'm gonna talk with a steel fabrication guy and see how much it would cost me if he made these for me. If he does, what type of bolts should I use and how much should I torque them down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As i previously stated, ive had autozone shackels on 3 ex's and never gave me one problem and theyve been put to work beleive me, seem spooky, i was spooked on my first ex then after what if put them through i have no need for any other ones

Back