Ronin's Rig 2.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ronin's Rig 2.0

Mods:

-17x8 Black Rock Viper 900B wheels with 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ tires: http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu263/wittenjc/Snapbucket/72276A52-orig.jpg

-Bentley style grille insert painted with Duplicolor bed armor: http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu263/wittenjc/Snapbucket/F63217CE-orig.jpg

-Raptor-ish LED Grille Lights: F150 Raptor-style ID lights/Marker lights

-30" LED light bar behind grille: Hidden 30" LED Light Bar install

-Dodge-style smoked LED cab Lights: http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu263/wittenjc/Snapbucket/2D2EA221-orig.jpg

-Fox 2.0 Emulsion coilover shock conversion in front, Truxxx strut spacers in rear on stock struts: Ronin8002's 4th Gen custom coilover conversion

BTF Fabrication Uniball upper control arms

Fuel tank skidplate

1" body lift

Adjustable limiting straps in front

Shackle tow hooks in front

Front skidplate

Planned Mods:
Scanguage II or Torque display
Fox Coilover shock conversion in rear
CB radio
Viair on board air system
Rock sliders

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yours doesn't count as a 4.slow lol.

Lighter tires is what I am going to benefit from mainly. Just going to use standard load tires this time no LT tires.

:)
what gears are in that thing?what are the differences in the ironman and say a stock one?

:)
what gears are in that thing?what are the differences in the ironman and say a stock one?

Just 3.55. First gear is so low that you wouldn't even know it, and the 4.6 3v pulls pretty hard from idle so that also helps. Only thing the ironman has that the others don't is the fender flares and some trim on the front and rear bumpers.

Just 3.55. First gear is so low that you wouldn't even know it, and the 4.6 3v pulls pretty hard from idle so that also helps. Only thing the ironman has that the others don't is the fender flares and some trim on the front and rear bumpers.

Thats prob not that bad then with the v8.o i like the look of it for sure !!

Yeah, those 4.6s have some grunt when they first get rolling. I drove a friends and I almost felt like I would need to put a ZF in my 5.0 to pull like that on a start.

Installed a bentley style grille insert over the weekend. It came in a glossy black finish but I decided to paint it with duplicolor bed armor aerosol spray since the stock one was also a subdued black.

F63217CE-orig.jpg

7560D7A0-orig.jpg

Don't know why i forgot to subscribe to this thread.. Bentley grilles look sweet! :thumbsup:

Looks good. Do you plan to paint the silver part of the bumper black? I think it would look good with that grille.

Thanks guys

Looks good. Do you plan to paint the silver part of the bumper black? I think it would look good with that grille.

I was thinking that too and you're also the second person to ask me that same thing. I originally planned to paint it with the same finish but I am kind of liking the contrast it gives. Though it is a bit bright. It has some scratches and chips in it so it definitely needs something. I was thinking of doing a hammered finish silver that would tone it down slightly. Here's an example:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/homebase/images/740018HBO111111X.jpg

Or maybe a bit darker.

My suggestion is the graphite color of the 98-01 Explorer grilles. Give a good contrast and tie in the darkened look very nicely. Either way, can't wait to see.

Thanks guys

I was thinking that too and you're also the second person to ask me that same thing. I originally planned to paint it with the same finish but I am kind of liking the contrast it gives. Though it is a bit bright. It has some scratches and chips in it so it definitely needs something. I was thinking of doing a hammered finish silver that would tone it down slightly. Here's an example:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/homebase/images/740018HBO111111X.jpg

Or maybe a bit darker.

My suggestion is the graphite color of the 98-01 Explorer grilles. Give a good contrast and tie in the darkened look very nicely. Either way, can't wait to see.

Yeah I like that color. I think I actually have something already that will match it, just with a different finish.

I'll be taking the front bumper cover off to install some lights behind the lower grille, probably will paint that trim piece then also.

I kind of want to figure out a way to get the Ford oval mounted to the new grille...looks so empty without it to me.

Great job on that paint. Looks mean.

Great job on that paint. Looks mean.

thanks! Now waiting on my wheels to ship....but if they are going to be backordered too much longer then I might cancel my order and get some other ones. I'm getting the tires locally.

My favorite spot for tires is Discount Tire Direct.com. Have gotten all my tires from there. Then have a shop mount and balance for $15 bucks a tire.

My favorite spot for tires is Discount Tire Direct.com. Have gotten all my tires from there. Then have a shop mount and balance for $15 bucks a tire.

I looked at them and many others. not too many online dealers have the ones I'm looking for though. Going to get some Mickey Thompson Baja STZ 265/70/17 in a standard load rating. After shipping and mounting/balancing is added in though, it seems I can get a little better deal ordering online from walmart.com and having them ship to the store for free. Not sure if I trust them to mount and balance though :D I can get that done for $12 a wheel at Fort Belvoir and they'll even let me help so I know its done right.

Here are the wheels I have on order, many thanks to Kazer for pointing them out to me :thumbsup: :

Black Rock Viper 900b, 17x8, 4.5" backspace/0 offset:

blrvip.tub.ang.jpg

Best price shipped that I found was through 4wheelparts using a 5% discount code.

Back