Tyler's '03 4x4 wheelchair | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tyler's '03 4x4 wheelchair

Hey guys! So I decided to finally start my registry for my Ex! To explain the title of this registry, I broke my back in May of 2009, which left me paralyzed from the belt line down and in a wheelchair. One of the first realizations I had was how I was going to keep driving my '99 Ex I had at the time. So I got a manual chair and learned to take it apart and put it in the back seat so I could drive myself. So here I am three years later with a bit nicer Ex still taking apart my chair and using the Ex as my 4X4 chair! Bought my '03 XTL just this last October. She is my second expo, had a '99 XLS that I traded in for my new one. Did not do anything to my '99. By when I drove Taylor (seemed like a good name for my new girl) off the lot, the ideas went through my head automatically of what I was going to do. So far it's been all small things. The lifting projects that I want to do are down the road. Glad to have this '03 over my second gen, the things they changed between the two are amazing. I'll continue on the rest of this tomorrow. For now a picture or two.

The day she came home
IMAG0272.jpg

How she sits now. Ill fill in the time line tomorrow
IMAG0543.jpg

So finally taking the time while at work with nothing to do to expand on my registry. When I bought Taylor she was bone stock. So far the MODs include:
Hunter Brush guard
window tint 15% all the way around (dropping the back windows to a little less than 5%
Thule MOAB with Thule Cross bars
Kenwood KDC-BT945U head unit
Some cheap off brand fog lights for the grill guard (had to make my own wiring harness after the one that came with the lights burnt up, got what I paid for)
5k DDM low beams, 6K HID kit I got from a buddy who sells them locally (much better than DDM, DDM will get replaced)
Repainted all the exterior plastics that were faded and off colored.
K&N Cold air intake
Black out turn signal housings with LED Switchback turn signal bulbs

So far that is the list, Soon to come will be a BTF lift, and the 1.5" body lift. Just got to wait on the funds. Well actually the list never stops, always finding more to do.

My chair-bound friend was checking out my Mountaineer and now he is starting to think about a SAS. He wants to keep it stock width though. I told him I would keep an eye out for an Early Bronco front housing.

My chair-bound friend was checking out my Mountaineer and now he is starting to think about a SAS. He wants to keep it stock width though. I told him I would keep an eye out for an Early Bronco front housing.

That's awesome! Sorry for the late response, did not realize anyone had left a comment on my registry.

Really like this picture, so I thought I would post it. Shows the latest to my Ex which is the 17" stock ford wheels, craigslist special!

20121013_111614.jpg

Back