Which SUV is the better option? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which SUV is the better option?

LA Angels Fan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this site and would like to get some feedback from different perspectives. I'm looking for a good used SUV and I have a question for all of you? I have found 2 used vehicles that are priced the same. A 2004 Ford Explorer XLT V-6 4.0 liter with 105K and a 2006 Ford Expedition XLT V-8 5.4 liter with 166K. Since it's not the same model or engine, I cannot go by miles alone. Is the V-8 a better, longer lasting engine and on average, would it last longer than the V-6?

Thank you for your help,

LA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was looking for a new suv, I read the forums. I've seem to hear of more trouble with the V-6's than the V-8's in the explorers. Not that they all had trouble, but some guys seem to think that the V-8 had a little more longevity before problems arisen. I ended up buying a Mountaineer with the 4.6L. I had an '04 F-150 with the 5.4L before this that I sold a couple weeks ago. They seem to have a few problems too after a lot of miles. The cam phasers are a week point in the 5.4L. They will make the truck sound like a diesel, which mine was starting to do at 80,000 miles. They are replaceable, but that takes time and money. Not a hard job, just time consuming. Then there was the spark plug problem. You either took it to the dealer and took a gamble and paid anywhere from $300 up to $1500 to get the stuck plugs out, as they froze in the heads. Or you buy the lysle tool and do it yourself. Those are probably the only 2 problems with the 5.4 that I can think of. If the plugs have been replaced, then you need not worry.

When I was looking for a new suv, I read the forums. I've seem to hear of more trouble with the V-6's than the V-8's in the explorers. Not that they all had trouble, but some guys seem to think that the V-8 had a little more longevity before problems arisen. I ended up buying a Mountaineer with the 4.6L. I had an '04 F-150 with the 5.4L before this that I sold a couple weeks ago. They seem to have a few problems too after a lot of miles. The cam phasers are a week point in the 5.4L. They will make the truck sound like a diesel, which mine was starting to do at 80,000 miles. They are replaceable, but that takes time and money. Not a hard job, just time consuming. Then there was the spark plug problem. You either took it to the dealer and took a gamble and paid anywhere from $300 up to $1500 to get the stuck plugs out, as they froze in the heads. Or you buy the lysle tool and do it yourself. Those are probably the only 2 problems with the 5.4 that I can think of. If the plugs have been replaced, then you need not worry.
Thank you for taking the time and replying Roush, I appreciate your feedback.

I would go for the expedition. You'll get a couple mpgs less but the extra power and room in the Expedition in my eyes is worth it.

I would go for the expedition. You'll get a couple mpgs less but the extra power and room in the Expedition in my eyes is worth it.

Agreed completely. I've got a different generation, but I know that neither will get stunning mpg either way, but there are so many times I wish I had more room than what's in my Ex.

Agreed completely. I've got a different generation, but I know that neither will get stunning mpg either way, but there are so many times I wish I had more room than what's in my Ex.
Thank you Alex. I agree with the room. My first Ford was a 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer and I absolutely loved it! I don't mind giving up the gas mileage as I do love the room the Expedition offers but the 166,000 miles is a little intimidating when buying a used car. Right now, I'm more interested in the longevity aspect between the two but I am partial to the Expedition. Thanks again Tony and Alex, I appreciate your comments.

Ask around on the f150 forums too about the longevity of the 5.4 and any possible problems since thats what they've run for years. A lot more people would have more direct experience, Not to say explorer guys dont know anything about the 5.4.

Ask around on the f150 forums too about the longevity of the 5.4 and any possible problems since thats what they've run for years. A lot more people would have more direct experience, Not to say explorer guys dont know anything about the 5.4.
Thanks again runner, I will do that right now. Again, I appreciate your help!

The tranny in the expedition is much, much better as well. Trannys are one of the weakest points in the explorer.

Hey no problem! That's what the forum is for.

Ford improved the Expedition in the 02 model year, whenever they changed the body style. They addressed the spark plug problem and also the issues with the manifold as well, which were both pretty common on the earlier models. I would go with the Expedition.

Ford improved the Expedition in the 02 model year, whenever they changed the body style. They addressed the spark plug problem and also the issues with the manifold as well, which were both pretty common on the earlier models. I would go with the Expedition.

I just knew when they changed the F-150's in '04, they went from blowing plugs out of the head to getting stuck in the head.

I just knew when they changed the F-150's in '04, they went from blowing plugs out of the head to getting stuck in the head.
Thanks Rob. I appreciate your input. I've been leaning towards the Expedition since I have owned one and loved it but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks to all for your help!

I have owned many different SUV's over the last 20 years, mostly Explorers (94, 00, 04), one 98 Expedition and a few other non-Ford. All SUV (and cars/trucks) have their good points and bad, you have to find what fits and is right for your use. I don't drive off road or in snow (Tampa area) so don't need or want the extra maintenance of 4WD, I don't tow anything heavy except a 2200lb boat, and although I am 6'2" 250lbs, they all have enough room for me. And they have all been very dependable, all have had the 4.0 six cylinder except the Expedition. I bought none of them new, most had about 90k miles when purchased.

Without getting into a long story, the 00 XLT Explorer was one of the best vehicle I have ever owned over the last 45 years (about the only other car that was close was a 69 MachI), nothing on the Ex ever broke, and I mean nothing over 178k miles when I sold it recently to get the 04 that I own now. Always averaged 20MPG. I changed the oil about every 5K miles, no trans service, a few batteries/tires, a few brake jobs, but again, nothing ever broke or was replaced on the 00, never even charged the AC which was still ice cold when I sold it. The 00 was a 4.0 2WD XLT as is the newer 04.

Not knocking the 98 Expedition that I owned for about a year, but what a gas guzzling beast. Maybe there are some people that can afford 12MPG, but not for me. After about 1 year and many $100 tanks of gas, I sold it. Yes, it had a lot of room - if you haul a lot of stuff/people, tow 7500lbs, or are 6'8" 350lbs it may work for you. You can buy them cheap around here (Tampa area), much cheaper than the Explorer.

My new 04 Explorer XLT 4.0 2WD 17" wheels tow pack is not perfect, but does everything I need it to do. Much more room than the 00 Explorer, much quieter on the road, better handling and really a good looking SUV, silver/gray, all tinted, very clean, paid $5300 with 90k miles. So far (after 2 months) have made many road trips, hauled my boat, loaded it up with stuff and have averaged about 16/17 MPG. The main thing I don't like about it is all the cheap plastic stuff, had to fix two rear seat handles and one visor when I bought it, but all in all really like it.

Although I buy cars in the 90k range, I personally would never buy anything over 150k. Unfortunately most are on their way out at that point. All info above in my humble opinion.

I've owned a few Explorers and while I like them a lot, I'm getting to the point where the towing capacity is holding me back. Definitely a fan of full sizes at this point.

I've never let mileage on the odometer scare me off, I've gotten many good running reliable vehicles for fairly cheap just because they have 200k or more. My daily driver 91 Explorer had 285k on the original engine and now has 310k on the rest of the car, I have no doubt it can hit 500k if I ever drove it enough anymore, it's still a solid vehicle.

Of course that is the 4.0L OHV engine, I don't have much nice to say about the SOHC motors, I have two in the garage now with bad timing chains.

I have owned many different SUV's over the last 20 years, mostly Explorers (94, 00, 04), one 98 Expedition and a few other non-Ford. All SUV (and cars/trucks) have their good points and bad, you have to find what fits and is right for your use. I don't drive off road or in snow (Tampa area) so don't need or want the extra maintenance of 4WD, I don't tow anything heavy except a 2200lb boat, and although I am 6'2" 250lbs, they all have enough room for me. And they have all been very dependable, all have had the 4.0 six cylinder except the Expedition. I bought none of them new, most had about 90k miles when purchased.

Without getting into a long story, the 00 XLT Explorer was one of the best vehicle I have ever owned over the last 45 years (about the only other car that was close was a 69 MachI), nothing on the Ex ever broke, and I mean nothing over 178k miles when I sold it recently to get the 04 that I own now. Always averaged 20MPG. I changed the oil about every 5K miles, no trans service, a few batteries/tires, a few brake jobs, but again, nothing ever broke or was replaced on the 00, never even charged the AC which was still ice cold when I sold it. The 00 was a 4.0 2WD XLT as is the newer 04.

Not knocking the 98 Expedition that I owned for about a year, but what a gas guzzling beast. Maybe there are some people that can afford 12MPG, but not for me. After about 1 year and many $100 tanks of gas, I sold it. Yes, it had a lot of room - if you haul a lot of stuff/people, tow 7500lbs, or are 6'8" 350lbs it may work for you. You can buy them cheap around here (Tampa area), much cheaper than the Explorer.

My new 04 Explorer XLT 4.0 2WD 17" wheels tow pack is not perfect, but does everything I need it to do. Much more room than the 00 Explorer, much quieter on the road, better handling and really a good looking SUV, silver/gray, all tinted, very clean, paid $5300 with 90k miles. So far (after 2 months) have made many road trips, hauled my boat, loaded it up with stuff and have averaged about 16/17 MPG. The main thing I don't like about it is all the cheap plastic stuff, had to fix two rear seat handles and one visor when I bought it, but all in all really like it.

Although I buy cars in the 90k range, I personally would never buy anything over 150k. Unfortunately most are on their way out at that point. All info above in my humble opinion.

Thank you so much Ron for sharing your experiences with me. You have made some very good points and have given me something to think about. Since I'm not a heavy guy, well, 6' 2" and 190 lbs nor do I tow anything, I don't necessarily need the larger vehicle (Expedition) for anything specific. I just love the way the car handles and the spaciousness it offers. I have some more thinking to do! Thanks again.

I've owned a few Explorers and while I like them a lot, I'm getting to the point where the towing capacity is holding me back. Definitely a fan of full sizes at this point.

I've never let mileage on the odometer scare me off, I've gotten many good running reliable vehicles for fairly cheap just because they have 200k or more. My daily driver 91 Explorer had 285k on the original engine and now has 310k on the rest of the car, I have no doubt it can hit 500k if I ever drove it enough anymore, it's still a solid vehicle.

Of course that is the 4.0L OHV engine, I don't have much nice to say about the SOHC motors, I have two in the garage now with bad timing chains.

Thanks to you as well Marble, I appreciate your input and will also pay more attention to the OHV vs. SOHC engine versions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks to you as well Marble, I appreciate your input and will also pay more attention to the OHV vs. SOHC engine versions.

Just be sure the price reflects the mileage, might as well get a discount if you are taking the risk.

I don't believe you will find a OHV in a 3rd gen+.

Back