New to me 2002 Explorer XLS has "Auto 4x4" button on dash......is it true 4WD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to me 2002 Explorer XLS has "Auto 4x4" button on dash......is it true 4WD?

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
I have 3 buttons on the dash of my 2002 4.0 XLS Explorer.
1-Auto 4X4
2-4x4 high range
3-4x4 low range.

Is this a true 4x4 system? and,..........is there a way to switch to permanent 2WD,....or does the Auto mode somehow shift to 2WD when wheel spin is detected??

Brian in Austin

1-Auto 4X4
2-4x4 high range
3-4x4 low range.

Is this a true 4x4 system? and,..........is there a way to switch to permanent 2WD,....or does the Auto mode somehow shift to 2WD when no wheels are spinning??

Brian in Austin

Look for the "sticky" thread in the modified sub-forum called "brown wire mod". It will allow you to switch to 2WD.

Brian in St. Pete

1-Auto 4X4
2-4x4 high range
3-4x4 low range.

Is this a true 4x4 system? and,..........is there a way to switch to permanent 2WD,....or does the Auto mode somehow shift to 2WD when no wheels are spinning??

Brian in Austin

Yes, the Auto 4x4 Mode, or normal drive mode, is 2 wheel drive unless the system senses some wheel slippage and then it engages the 4 wheel drive mode until the wheel slippage is gone and it reverts back to auto 4x4 mode (2 wheel drive). If you were driving on a snow covered road you would then select the "4x4 high range" button to be in constant 4 wheel drive. The "Brown Wire Modification" is a way to bypass the Auto 4x4 System and keep you in 2 wheel drive even if the wheels briefly slip a little.

Back