• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Serious Oil Leak

eaglecap6

Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I have been noticing some oil on gravel beside garage where I park my explorer. I moved it into the garage and raised it up on jack stands and I found a large amount of oil on the undercarriage. It looked like the source was around the oil filter. I check the oil stick and it was void of oil. So last night, I went to the local parts house bought a new filter and 5 quarts of oil, drain the oil and installed the new oil filter and put in the 5 quarts. I wiped down the undercarriage of surplus oil. This morning, I drove the vehicle about 20 miles. When I got home I parked on the drive, went into the house for breakfast only to return an hour later to find a major oil deposit on the driveway. I check the oil stick and it showed no oil. I have not had time to investigate what's the problem. What components in the area of the oil filter that could be leaking to contribute to a major oil leak. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

I have been noticing some oil on gravel beside garage where I park my explorer. I moved it into the garage and raised it up on jack stands and I found a large amount of oil on the undercarriage. It looked like the source was around the oil filter. I check the oil stick and it was void of oil. So last night, I went to the local parts house bought a new filter and 5 quarts of oil, drain the oil and installed the new oil filter and put in the 5 quarts. I wiped down the undercarriage of surplus oil. This morning, I drove the vehicle about 20 miles. When I got home I parked on the drive, went into the house for breakfast only to return an hour later to find a major oil deposit on the driveway. I check the oil stick and it showed no oil. I have not had time to investigate what's the problem. What components in the area of the oil filter that could be leaking to contribute to a major oil leak. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the Forum eaglecap6. :wavey:
Unfortunately you have posted in the Stock 2011 - 2013 Ford Explorer forum. The following link will take you to the Stock 2002-2005 Explorer threads.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Peter

Back