Hood prop | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood prop

I have never seen struts give out suddenly. They lose their tension over time and it's easy to tell when they need replacing.

until a strong wind blows while you are under your hood 150 miles from home, then they give out and it will hit you!

$9 a piece is not bad, just sick of paying $80 for two hood struts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

until a strong wind blows while you are under your hood 150 miles from home, then they give out and it will hit you!

I saw that very thing happen with a stock prop rod on McNeil's cousins Explorer at Truck Haven. He was working under the hood, a sudden gust grabbed the hood, threw it against the windshield, then came back down and slammed. At least the struts will prevent the hood from going backwards and hitting the windshield:confused:

ouch!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll just replace the struts with new and still keep the grips, just in case.

Thanks again for all your input.

I have always had to use a vice grip as mine don't work. I havnt had any problems but they didn't working to start with

what a great simple way to slove this problem. My struts are bad you just saved my 60.00 bucks I did not have to spend right now. I would not have thought of this.

As a previous poster suggested, a Ranger prop rod
will work. I added one from an 04 Ranger to my
Explorer Sport, just as a safety measure. It was
only necessary to drill one hole in the radiator
support and pop in a rod holder clip.

After having the hood close unexpectedly once,
I no longer trust those struts.

As a previous poster suggested, a Ranger prop rod
will work. I added one from an 04 Ranger to my
Explorer Sport, just as a safety measure. It was
only necessary to drill one hole in the radiator
support and pop in a rod holder clip.

After having the hood close unexpectedly once,
I no longer trust those struts.

I used an S-10 prop. One hole to mount it, one hole for a holder. I have never had working struts in 3 2nd gens and with the addition of a cowl hood I dont even want to trust those

This thread shows the way I went. No regrets and still working strong after 3+ years. :)

If you use vice grips, your strut is done for. They will scar the shaft and the seal will be destroyed. This is not a good choice. Somewhere I've seen a plastic sleeve that slips over the shaft to hold the hood in place as a safety. You might be able to google for it. I would bet you could make one out of pvc pipe. Just cut a piece of pipe the length of the extended shaft, cut a slit lengthwise, and slip it over the shaft.

This acually works very well. Many many years ago I picked up an 8' peice of sched. 40 pvc, for about $2.00. Cut it into several lengths (from about 3" to 18"), and kept them in my tool box so that no matter what I was working on I could just slip it over the shaft of the strut, and had that extra sense of security. Sometimes you just don't know whether they are good or bad, untill it closes on you. Specially good for cold weather and no prop rod to get in your way.

This thread shows the way I went. No regrets and still working strong after 3+ years. :)

Have these ever gotten in your way while working? I love how flush the stock ones are, and so far these have looked like they'll provide the most room (in comparison to other non-oem replacements).

Have these ever gotten in your way while working? I love how flush the stock ones are, and so far these have looked like they'll provide the most room (in comparison to other non-oem replacements).

Never really thought of it. They've never got in my way.

I tell you, having the hood fall on my head more than once and of course getting my fingers pinned once are the reason I got these struts in the first place. One of the best upgrades I've ever made to the truck, bar none and peace of mind to boot. :thumbsup:

My struts work, but only when it is above 50 degrees outside lol

My struts work, but only when it is above 50 degrees outside lol

I hear you. That's when mine gave me grief. My rear struts (rear glass) have started doing that. At least I don't run the risk of getting my fingers slammed shut like the hood did to me. ;)

Back