How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

Hard to say the light is allways on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So if I put a paperclip in all 6 of the connecters that go to the switch (make a jumper) the light should go out?

Jumping the connectors should turn off the lights. Do 1 at a time with everything else closed. If the lights go off then this is the culprit. Of course, you may have more than one that is faulty, so you may have to jump out all four to get the lights to turn off.

Did you test the switches as outlined above?

If I wasn't sick, I'd hop in the Ex and head north.

How is Spraying the door latches and hinges going to fix the door ajar light?

It fixed mine and I got the idea from others doing it. My door ajar light would always be on and my alarm would never arm, the dome light would just stay on until the power saving mode kicked in and my alarm would just go off every now and then for no reason..

Jumping the connectors should turn off the lights. Do 1 at a time with everything else closed. If the lights go off then this is the culprit. Of course, you may have more than one that is faulty, so you may have to jump out all four to get the lights to turn off.

Did you test the switches as outlined above?

If I wasn't sick, I'd hop in the Ex and head north.

OH **** your not that far I may have to go to you sometime. I will keep you posted on what I find.:)

OH **** your not that far I may have to go to you sometime. I will keep you posted on what I find.:)

We used to vacation on Winnisquam & Winnipesaukeewhen we were kids. :)

Used to love going to Weirs Beach. :D

Keep me posted!!

Doing a slow ass test. When the light goes off I open one door at a time to see if the light comes on so far the two back doors work. So I take it must be the hatch. It takes so long for the light to go out.

If it takes a real long time for the light to go out, that signifies to me a broken wire in the boot.

One of the symptoms I had when the thinner black wire was broken was: The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. Since the pics aren't in this thread anymore for checking the wires, here's what I did:

I can't remember, but I believe I unwrapped the wires enough to gain access. When I have gone searching in there I had an idea of what wire I was looking for. It was the thinner black wire. I located the thinner black wire and gently tugged on that wire on the door side. The wire was pulled toward me and out of the harness. I then went inside the vehicle and gently tugged on the thinner black wire and was able to pull it inside the vehicle. I then spliced a length of wire to the 2 ends, completing the circuit. I then gently pulled the excess into the door.

Like I said before, when I was having the following symptoms, it turned out to be the thinner black wire that was broken:

The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it.

I recommend following the above steps with the thinner black wire.

Good luck & be sure to keep us posted.

When I open the back hatch and glass no light comes on!!!:D

When I open the back hatch and glass no light comes on!!!:D

Good deal. Check the wiring diagram I posted. Those two switches are tied together.

What you have described suggests that one or both of those switches are bad or malfunctioning. It does not explain the "door ajar" with everything closed. Check those switches as outlined in my last post.

Don't rule out my last post!!

So I think it's safe to put it back together?
1110121246.jpg

Good deal. Check the wiring diagram I posted. Those two switches are tied together.

What you have described suggests that one or both of those switches are bad or malfunctioning. It does not explain the "door ajar" with everything closed. Check those switches as outlined in my last post.

Don't rule out my last post!!
If the hatch or glass is open you get door ajar?

So it must think it's still open. (now why?)

It looks like a bomb went off in there. :p:

My suggestions didn't require ripping out the whole interior.

Talk to me. :eek:

It looks like a bomb went off in there. :p:

My suggestions didn't require ripping out the whole interior.

Talk to me. :eek:

The back door wires go under the seats. I told you I was lost with no broken wires.:eek:

Okay, thanks. Bring me up to speed where do we stand? :dunno:

I am still not ready to give up on the thinner black wire. :p:

Okay, thanks. Bring me up to speed where do we stand? :dunno:

I am still not ready to give up on the :p:

Light ajar is on.
Alarm goes off when I lock the doors mostly at 1 am. Lol
Luxury light only turns off then the battery saver kicks in.
When I turn the key on then off the radio only turns off when the front doors open.
When the Luxury light goes out all doors turn it on. (But not the hatch or glass.)

I think that's it. I so wish it was the thinner black wire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What happens when you disconnect the liftgate & liftgate glass switches, 1 at a time?

Back