Transfer case slipping

andrewgordon

Reaction score
City, State
Tasmania,
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 UN
I have a '97 UN Explorer 5 spd manual, A4WD. Borg Warner 4405
when in 4 hi or 4 lo I still only get wheelspin at the rear wheels. I have jacked the rear of the car up leaving the front wheels on the ground and chocked, if I let the clutch out in first gear in 4WD low I can feel the car try to move, but the transfer case slips. I removed and dismantled the transfer case expecting to find worn out fiction discs in the 4wd clutchpack, but everything looks as good as new. Any sugestions will be much appreciated.

Andrew

Have made some progress. The 4wd relay was faulty so when the 4wd clutch was powered up the voltage dropped to 3 volts at the clutch coil. a new relay sorted that out.
Now the problem is that the GEM is sending a constant signal to power up the 4wd clutch, Am nearly at the point of just fitting a switch in the 4wd coil circuit and going with a manual 4wd 2wd switch.

Have made some progress. The 4wd relay was faulty so when the 4wd clutch was powered up the voltage dropped to 3 volts at the clutch coil. a new relay sorted that out.
Now the problem is that the GEM is sending a constant signal to power up the 4wd clutch, Am nearly at the point of just fitting a switch in the 4wd coil circuit and going with a manual 4wd 2wd switch.

Thats been done before... Its know around here as the Brown Wire Mod.

Back