• Register Today It's free!

Oil Sending Unit

buzz

Reaction score
City, State
escondido, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
When my truck is cold, the oil pressure reads zero and the check engine light is on. After 5-10 minutes, the pressure comes up and the check engine light goes off. Engine is in perfect condition. I could not pull any codes. Am I safe to assume it's a bad oil pressure sending unit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be or you are dead low on oil or need a change.

osu

sometimes when my 98 is cold the oil pressure gauge will read lower than norm. and sometimes twitch a little until it warms and it will read normal again. or ill turn the truck off and back on and it will be fine. the engine in mine is fine too. so i think your osu might be bad because if u had no oil pressure you would definitely know. if the truck isnt knocking or ticking hard when the oil pressure gauge is reading low then your fine just keep an eye on it.

osu's in our trucks are known for being dumb

sometimes when my 98 is cold the oil pressure gauge will read lower than norm. and sometimes twitch a little until it warms and it will read normal again. or ill turn the truck off and back on and it will be fine. the engine in mine is fine too. so i think your osu might be bad because if u had no oil pressure you would definitely know. if the truck isnt knocking or ticking hard when the oil pressure gauge is reading low then your fine just keep an eye on it.

osu's in our trucks are known for being dumb

Yeah, it's got oil, runs perfect etc.

Do you know where the OSU is location on the engine?

SOHC engine says SOHC on the cover on top of the intake. Also the engine code on the VIN sticker is "E" for SOHC. I think it's the 8th digit. Someone chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a defective sending unit on my 1996 Ex w/ V8. What unit should I buy for use with the stock guage?

SOHC engine says SOHC on the cover on top of the intake. Also the engine code on the VIN sticker is "E" for SOHC. I think it's the 8th digit. Someone chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.

Would this indicate OHV or SOHC? Can you tell by horsepower?

Engine Type - 8th Position:
Engine: 4.0 EFI
Cylinders: V-6
Fuel Type: Gasoline
Horse Power: 160

Truck is out of town or I would look under the hood.

Update:

The 160hp indicates OHV, the SOHC has 210HP and was optional for the XLS.

Your oil pressure sending unit is bad. There is a write up on this site somewhere that shows the location and how to replace...I believ it was for the 4.0 SOHC motor.

Your oil pressure sending unit is bad. There is a write up on this site somewhere that shows the location and how to replace...I believ it was for the 4.0 SOHC motor.

Thanks.

on the 4.0 SOHC the oil pressure sending unit is located on the left side of the engine block behind the power steering pump.

I know that it might not be necessary but I freak out when I see a possible oil pressure problem and all I have is a glorified idiot light to warn me that my engine could be heading for trouble. I would strongly recommend checking the actual pressure with a mechanical guage before trusting your engine to a guage that only tells you that there is at least 7psi available.

I know that it might not be necessary but I freak out when I see a possible oil pressure problem and all I have is a glorified idiot light to warn me that my engine could be heading for trouble. I would strongly recommend checking the actual pressure with a mechanical guage before trusting your engine to a guage that only tells you that there is at least 7psi available.

a mechanical gauge is the best way to monitor oil pressure. the rule-of-thumb on oil pressure is about 10 PSI for each 1,000 rpm (warm) up to about 40-45 PSI.

Well, the problematic oil pressure sending unit on my 96 5.0 seems to be recovering; the check gauge light no longer illuminates. The oil pressure gauge peaks at at about the spout on the oil can logo. Is that about right for normal reading?

Back