oil leak, grating noise & timing chain tensioner found in oil pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oil leak, grating noise & timing chain tensioner found in oil pan

rentalguy

Reaction score
City, State
Kissimmee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT 4x4
I dont really know where to start with this vehicle and so here goes. I've owned my XLT 4WD since 2006. It's now got 137K miles on it. Gas mileage is at best is around 13/14 without driving it hard. I take the vehicle to the local dealership for 3k oil changes. The car has some issues. It has a leak from the passengerside driveaxle. I had the seal replaced and it is still leaking from there although not as bad. The mechanic who replaced the seal did say he had put in around a quart of oil into the front diff and so I wonder if he has overfilled it?

There was also a leak from what looked like the oil pan. I had the lower oil pan gasket replaced and it is still leaking. I have a couple of photos but cant upload them.

When the mechanic removed the oil pan to change the gasket, he said he found part of the timing chain tensioner (he showed it to me and it is a curvy looking piece.

For the last 9 months, the car has developed a grating noise while driving. I had the dealership look at it and they could find nothing wrong. I suspect the front u joint, but dont know for sure.

In the last 12 months I have replaced:
Both front hubs & both front say bar links. The front tires were replaced 600 miles ago. The mechanic who did the last work on it, thinks I should sell the vehicle, but I dont have the money to trade and spend $8k on it although I know if the timing chain assembly breaks on me, then I am looking at $3k in repairs.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

photos

You have to be a paying member to upload photos. Non-paying members can include a link to a photo sharing website.

I searched your old posts and learned that you have the V6 engine. The tensioner fragments found in your oil pan may be from the balance shaft tensioner. If so, the block girdle (upper oil pan) must be removed to replace the tensioner.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is the 4.0 V6 engine. I have a friend next week coming around to help me remove the engine. At the same time I will change the rear main seal as I think the oil leak is coming from there.

With the engine out, would you change anything else for preventative maintainance?
Thanks,
David

your intentions?

Your 2006 should have the improved timing chain related components implemented in the 2002 and later models. 137K is rather early for the improved components to fail - especially with regular oil changes. I don't know if the balance shaft tensioner was ever improved. Did you determine a way to post the photos of the fragments?

If you remove the engine what do you intend to replace besides the rear main seal?

Do you have access to the camshaft timing tool kit?

Water pump while you are there.

Your 2006 should have the improved timing chain related components implemented in the 2002 and later models. 137K is rather early for the improved components to fail - especially with regular oil changes. I don't know if the balance shaft tensioner was ever improved. Did you determine a way to post the photos of the fragments?

If you remove the engine what do you intend to replace besides the rear main seal?

Do you have access to the camshaft timing tool kit?

I spoke with the local dealer and he confirmed that they had seen many failures of the balance shaft tensioner, even on the later models.

I plan on changing out all 4 chains and parts. Autozone sells the complete kit for around $350. I also intend to change the plugs and I like the idea of changing the water pump as advised by Explorer_PL. I intend to keep the Explorer for another 4-5 years and so I am happy to put in some effort to prolong its use.

I spoke with the mechanic who found the piece in the oil pan, fortunately he has access to the camshaft timing kit from the dealer and so I just may drag him into this adventure. Fortunately, I have 2 other vehicles to get around in, but I intend to get this done next week starting Monday.

Any more thoughts and tips are well appreciated.

I spoke with the local dealer and he confirmed that they had seen many failures of the balance shaft tensioner, even on the later models.

I plan on changing out all 4 chains and parts. Autozone sells the complete kit for around $350. I also intend to change the plugs and I like the idea of changing the water pump as advised by Explorer_PL. I intend to keep the Explorer for another 4-5 years and so I am happy to put in some effort to prolong its use.

I spoke with the mechanic who found the piece in the oil pan, fortunately he has access to the camshaft timing kit from the dealer and so I just may drag him into this adventure. Fortunately, I have 2 other vehicles to get around in, but I intend to get this done next week starting Monday.

Any more thoughts and tips are well appreciated.

Keep us updated. Pics are a must.

Keep us updated. Pics are a must.

Will do. I need to take some photos so that I can remember the reverse process of puttings things back together.

2000StreetRod, how do paying members upload photos? I must be missing something. When I became an Elite Explorer I never noticed any change in the photo thing. I still do it the old way. Thanks. Ed.

Great, thanks!

Back