Location of Connector for Electric Brake Controller w/Factory Tow Package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Location of Connector for Electric Brake Controller w/Factory Tow Package

1oldman

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer
I am going to be towing a cargo trailer with electric brakes with my '07 Explorer EB edition that came with a factory tow package. My understanding is that there is a factory installed connector to connect an electric brake controller to using an aftermarket wiring harness. Beats the cut and splice method! I've read conflicting information about where this connector can be found.

1) around the steering column

2) behind the glove box on passengers side.

Can anyone confirm which location and what the connector might look like or is there any identifying numbers, colors etc on the connector or wire bundle?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I am going to be using a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller and a Ford specific wire harness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See if this helps yea out. Look for this style plug just dangling around somewhere.

07_trailer_brake_connector.jpg

the location of the plug
07_trailer_brake_connector_Location.jpg

And wiring for said plug:
07_trailer_brake_wiring_01.jpg

07_trailer_brake_wiring_02.jpg

Hope this helps! Sorry I couldnt provide any more info than that.

Thanks again NICE59FORDF100

I should be able to narrow it down with the info you provided. Just didn't want to start in the dark. The 7 pin trailer connector works so all the relays, etc, should be in place.

Many thanks for the info. I'll update the thread as soon as I get the controller installed and let everyone know how it works out.

i have a Tekonsha Prodigy too. Plug is next to the parking brake.
very happy with it.

i have a Tekonsha Prodigy too. Plug is next to the parking brake.
very happy with it.

Is the information I posted above Accurate?

Is the information I posted above Accurate?

Yes, the pic above is from the engine looking back. So it would be right next to the parking brake, below the headlight switch, fuse box.
Driver is on the right; pass is on the left in the picture.

Brake Controller Location

wow. that was tucked up there well. My 2010 was as stuck to the back of the covering so you have stick your head to the brake and look back. Much better cable org than my 1997 Expy

Yes, and if the brake controller adapter has never been used on the vehicle it will still be in the original sealed package in the spare tire compartment with the wiring diagram.

Right. But with the factory wire harness, you have to splice wires to the brake controller harness in order to make your pigtail. For not much money, you can get a Ford-specific wire harness from Tekonsha (order form etrailer.com, etc) that's ready to go.

Back