Project build - "Elvira" | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project build - "Elvira"

Nice new project for cheap , Whats the Running gear in that danger ranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whew, 1 day left....

...and I'm out of commission for 6 weeks. I have to finish tomorrow. I think it lost 20 pounds just in rust by banging and the impact wrench rattling it. The rear cab body mounts are disintegrated as well, I'll have to get those done.

Stance, I'm leaving alone. It's a truck, I'll use it like one. Lowered they're a pain in the winter.

Name? I haven't even thought about it, every girl I have leaves me. And the weird thing that I can't help, I keep looking around like I'm going to spot Elvira. Like a sad kid looking for his puppy that ran away. I keep running through my mind what I'd do if I caught someone with it. Probably better that I don't.

The "Splash" pin stripe. You know what? It didn't even cross my mind to take it off. That would decrease it's feminine appearance. I think I will remove it.

Can you believe this thread morphed into a crystal blue Ranger? Who would have thought? My hope is still high I'll get Elvira back in reasonable condition and continue on.

Another thought was to bolt in my original green explorer's 4.0, 4x4 stuff, Elvira's (assuming I get her back) stock suspension.

Another option could be to swap the lift and suspension stuff from the green ex to the ranger, the front should all bolt up, and then you can use blocks and shackles in the rear to match it

Oh I vote for stripe removal if you have time. You can probably do that one handed anyway ha ha.

Best of luck with the shoulder Rusty. We'll be thinking about you so update us when you are feeling up to it.

I snapon makes a pin stripe eraser that you put in a drill. It works great. I've used it to remove that stupid "chrome" sticker they used to put on the bottom of GMCs. It will take about 20 minutes to remove that. I used it on my wife's Acura to remove the ridiculous gold pinstripe. Gold pinstripe on a charcoal paint and aluminum grill and trim. What were they thinking? [/rant]

You could lower the ranged and still use it as a truck........

Still no Elvira

Come back to me baby, you know I'll treat you so good.

On the Ranger:

I gave her a name, Cassandra; Elvira's real name.

Lowered would look pretty good. I've been surfing Google images looking at lowered Rangers. If I find the parts, I'm going to do it. Not sure what the running gear is yet.

I bought the pin-stripe eraser.

I felt well enough yesterday and made a trip out to the boneyard for parts I needed. Since I'm a gimp, I had my younger cousin do all the work. Felt good to get out, he could use the money being a staving college kid.

-Bench seat, had buckets- needs to sit 3.
-Tailgate
-Muffler and pipes

I found a set of Mustang Cobra wheels with new tires on CL pretty cheap, I pick them up tomorrow.

A friend of mine, "Crazy Paul" came by today and cleaned the new seats and welded up my exhaust. After about 4 hours of listening about how the FBI and CIA are conducting genetic experiments in a secret lab under a reservoir, I was the one worn out. He does good work, but there's only so much of that I can take. Sent him home with a case of beer and some pocket money.

I laughed at the idea of secret lab.
But Im also wondering which yard you use. Every one I go to usually has all the parts I need taken.

Ha ha, glad to see you are up and about.

Sounds like Paul comes by his nickname honestly!

Good to see your Moving around and At PAP haha , I know a Few People like paul , Great people . But Keep them Busy and Not Talking haha , Glad to hear Some Progress As Well , Staying Tuned !

I laughed at the idea of secret lab.
But Im also wondering which yard you use. Every one I go to usually has all the parts I need taken.

That's because Rusty gets there first.

Still no word on Elvira

I've been driving by the Indianapolis abandoned vehicle lot just to feel like I'm doing something proactive.

Sounds like Paul comes by his nickname honestly!

Paul's a good dude, you could trust him with a million dollars and all that would be gone is a few bucks for beer and smokes. Works like beaver, and he's highly intelligent. Schizophrenia's a terrible disease, that's all I can say. It takes me a while to convince him I'm not video recording or video taping his conversations, and that I'm not part of the FBI/CIA, usually the first half hour. He's fine as long as he's not drinking too much or other things..... A friend of mine and I always are helping him out with work, food, transportation... bail.

Pick A Part, 16th St.- I'm there at least once a week, even in the winter. It's weird but I find it kind of therapeutic. Tinkering with my vehicles has always been my pastime.

For Cassandra;

I shampooed the carpets, removed the seats, and wiped down the vinyl interior. It smelled like a dirty ashtray. If you smoke, stop. The nicotine and tar I wiped off was nasty. I sprayed 'Hawaiian Aloha' Ferbreeze down the vents, air inlets, and headliner- Ahhhhhh. I closed it up, cracked the windows and placed a small space heater inside to dry it out fast, it was like a sauna inside till it dried, I could actually see steam coming out the windows. I Bolt in the new seats with a little help tomorrow.

My shoulder feels great after only a week. It's bruised like a ho that doesn't pay up.

Attachments

• 2012-12-07_16-46-11_645.jpg
    2012-12-07_16-46-11_645.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 2012-12-10_20-00-55_105.jpg
    2012-12-10_20-00-55_105.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 443

OMG on the hoe comment.

So if you work at the airport and go to pic a part and not pull a part, then that puts you in the southwest region. I live within minutes of there. If you need ever need help and I'm not studying/ busy, I'd happily help.

I love to work on cars too. The only problem is my x is too new so I cant just buy spare parts after breaking something so I only cut into so much.

And good to hear that your feeling good. Picking parts on a sore shoulder. That is dedication.

Yeah, I completely agree with you, schizophrenia is a horrible disease. I see lots of people effected with it in my work.

Glad to see you are working away on the Splash, I get the "yes" on the shoulder but why the crude drawing of a dung beetle?

I have no idea how I missed this thread Rusty; I'm so sorry for your loss, again. For the Beast what I did was install a remote key lock with a starter relay disabler that's hidden in in the engine compartment. If I hadn't installed the sucker, even I would never find it, and without that baby, no starty the truck. You need one on the splash, stat!

I also suggest a shotgun round or two for whoever stole Elvira. Aim low, they'll take longer to die.

Indianapolis A-Hole

I have no idea how I missed this thread Rusty; I'm so sorry for your loss, again. For the Beast what I did was install a remote key lock with a starter relay disabler that's hidden in in the engine compartment. If I hadn't installed the sucker, even I would never find it, and without that baby, no starty the truck. You need one on the splash, stat!

I also suggest a shotgun round or two for whoever stole Elvira. Aim low, they'll take longer to die.

Thanks Naasau for your support, I could sure use it. The perpetrators don't understand or appreciate the passion, work, and effort I've invested on this thing. It's not about the money; it's the time I've spent increasing the reliability, customizing it to my use and taste, preening the details to my satisfaction. I have a ton of fun working on my X and sharing my experience with anyone who shares my interests. People suck sometimes.

I'm still holding out hope I'll get her back in decent shape, I could really use her this winter. Depending on the intent and savviness of the thieves; I'm expecting to receive her back less the wheels abandoned, get caught red-handed in it, crashed for kicks, found related to another crime, or just never at all. My experience has been that thieves, fortunately aren't that bright- or they wouldn't be thieves.

The next X, and hopefully Elvira, will be theft resistant/ trackable, FOR SURE. I'd love/hate to find the person(s) responsible. I'd at least like to hear about them getting thrown in the slammer or dispatched with extreme prejudice.

I hope u got all the parts you went out for today. Or did u since it rained?

And I saw a similar gen one on the intersate one day. I slowed down and waited for them to pass if it had turned out to be yours I'd have chased it down or at minimum called the cops and told them that I found a stolen car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I maybe back

We'll know tomorrow.

Attachments

• Explorer3.jpg
    Explorer3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 337
  • Explorer2.jpg
    Explorer2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 339
  • Explorer1.jpg
    Explorer1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 356