How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I just replaced the blend door actuator on my '05' explorer. I was not looking forward to the 6 to 7 hour dash removal that ford told me I had to do. I want to thank you for all the pics and easy steps. Also thanks for your service. My father and nephew are Marines. Semper fi.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

You are welcome. Glad I could help out.

Please tell your Dad & Nephew I said Semper Fi :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did my 05, great write up. IDK if it has been mentioned about the 05, but it's a bit less work and you only need to remove the drivers side panel of the center console. Though getting to the actuator is a PITA, and involved a great deal of profanities.

Thanks

Just did my 05, great write up. IDK if it has been mentioned about the 05, but it's a bit less work and you only need to remove the drivers side panel of the center console. Though getting to the actuator is a PITA, and involved a great deal of profanities.

Thanks

Thank you. Nice job on the fix. :):thumbsup:

Big Rondo. I cant thank you enough for posting this guide. You just saved me $1000 bucks. Taking everything apart was a breeze. Getting the screws out on the actuator were a pain in the butt! I lucked out, and only 3 screws were holding it in place. Putting the screws back in on the new actuator was super frustrating but I got it done. I have heat and no longer freezing my buns off on my commute. Well worth the 2 1/2 hours!! Happy Holidays Big Rondo!!

Excellent write up Big Rondo. Saved me hours of work.
Decided to drill a 1/2" hole through the dash pad where the red dot is shown in his write up to get a socket onto the lower screw.
Being low on the dash pad it is not noticeable unless you look for it.

Big Rondo. I cant thank you enough for posting this guide. You just saved me $1000 bucks. Taking everything apart was a breeze. Getting the screws out on the actuator were a pain in the butt! I lucked out, and only 3 screws were holding it in place. Putting the screws back in on the new actuator was super frustrating but I got it done. I have heat and no longer freezing my buns off on my commute. Well worth the 2 1/2 hours!! Happy Holidays Big Rondo!!

You are welcome! Just trying to give a little back to this great forum.

Nice job on the fix. :biggthump

Excellent write up Big Rondo. Saved me hours of work.
Decided to drill a 1/2" hole through the dash pad where the red dot is shown in his write up to get a socket onto the lower screw.
Being low on the dash pad it is not noticeable unless you look for it.

Thank you. Nice work getting it sorted! :):thumbsup:

Is there any market to sell the old actuator? Its just a tiny plastic broken gear in there. Everything else works. Anyone able to sell theirs online and where? Thanks!

Is there any market to sell the old actuator? Its just a tiny plastic broken gear in there. Everything else works. Anyone able to sell theirs online and where? Thanks!

Not that I know of. If you could source the broken gear then it could be refurbished. :dunno:

A complete and masterful writeup helped me through this project. I thank you BigRondo!!

I bought the new one on Amazon, allowed it to age in our garage for a few months, but when the first signs of winter here in Kalifornia started a little birdy started chirping to get the job done.......that little birdy was the Mrs.....happy wife, happy life, as they say.

I followed the directions exactly......a few beers, and 100 curses, and I was done.

Much appreciated.

A complete and masterful writeup helped me through this project. I thank you BigRondo!!

I bought the new one on Amazon, allowed it to age in our garage for a few months, but when the first signs of winter here in Kalifornia started a little birdy started chirping to get the job done.......that little birdy was the Mrs.....happy wife, happy life, as they say.

I followed the directions exactly......a few beers, and 100 curses, and I was done.

Much appreciated.

You're welcome. Nicely done Sir. :salute:

Thanks !

Did my 2005 Explorer last night. Took 90 minutes total thanks to the awesome info and pictures Rondo. A huge thanks to you !
I found that removing the trim around the radio was a help to improve visibility. I didn't cut the dash, but had to give it a good yank to give the actuator enough clearance to remove it. Doing it at night, in the cold, added a little pain factor. The part was $90 from my local Ford dealer. The parts guy said this was the third one he sold this week.

Did my 2005 Explorer last night. Took 90 minutes total thanks to the awesome info and pictures Rondo. A huge thanks to you !
I found that removing the trim around the radio was a help to improve visibility. I didn't cut the dash, but had to give it a good yank to give the actuator enough clearance to remove it. Doing it at night, in the cold, added a little pain factor. The part was $90 from my local Ford dealer. The parts guy said this was the third one he sold this week.

You are welcome. Glad I could help out!! :D

So I had the same issue, no heat. I followed this step by step which was fantastic so huge props for that. I am ready to reinstal the new one but when I turn from hot to cold the shaft doesnt move on the new one. On the one I took out it doesnt move either. On the old one I can start to turn it by hand and can feel the motor go but on the new one I got nothing. Cant physically turn and the motor was turn the shaft either. Could I be looking at a new problem here like a fuse or just a bad part from the store?

So I had the same issue, no heat. I followed this step by step which was fantastic so huge props for that. I am ready to reinstal the new one but when I turn from hot to cold the shaft doesnt move on the new one. On the one I took out it doesnt move either. On the old one I can start to turn it by hand and can feel the motor go but on the new one I got nothing. Cant physically turn and the motor was turn the shaft either. Could I be looking at a new problem here like a fuse or just a bad part from the store?

I am checking my shop manuals and will gather some good info and send it to you.

You are 3rd in line so please be patient. ;)

I am checking my shop manuals and will gather some good info and send it to you.

You are 3rd in line so please be patient. ;)

I ended up going to the ford dealer for a replacement from them and worked perfect from the start. One I got from napa must of been a defect. Got it all buttoned up and good to go. :thumbsup: Thank you for the write up.

I ended up going to the ford dealer for a replacement from them and worked perfect from the start. One I got from napa must of been a defect. Got it all buttoned up and good to go. :thumbsup: Thank you for the write up.

Good news. Nice job getting it sorted.

I always recommend getting the actuator from the dealer due to the high failure rate of the aftermarket ones purchased at the local parts stores.

Enjoy the heat this winter. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the write up. I've been going through an -03 xlt and had no "hot" air coming out the vents. I took a look today to see how difficult the actuator replacement was going to be. I slide my hand under the console and found the actuator, but also found a wire harness clip just hanging out. It wasn't plugged into the actuator. Plugged it back in and now the heater cooks. Thanks again

Thanks for the write up. I've been going through an -03 xlt and had no "hot" air coming out the vents. I took a look today to see how difficult the actuator replacement was going to be. I slide my hand under the console and found the actuator, but also found a wire harness clip just hanging out. It wasn't plugged into the actuator. Plugged it back in and now the heater cooks. Thanks again

Nice job getting it sorted. :thumbsup: Glad I could help out. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just installed new actuator...great write-up... Thanks a million!
Was able to do it without cutting the dash. Getting the new actuator in was tough but you have to have patience. Oh, and a good flashlight is a must for this job

Back