3rd gen Explorer Coilovers | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Coilovers

Wow...well it least it won't hang around like snow. I started on my lower mounts yesterday and I see how narrow that space is between the steering arm and the CV axle. It'll be close but I don't think I'll have to move the mount up the arm. The brackets are pretty straightforward at least.

No problem with the steering arm on mine, I am going to try again today after I get off work to install mine. We have a gap in the rain I am going to try to take advantage of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I am thinking too. Just weld in the bushings to the arm.

FYI I found out that the bolt size for the lower rear strut on both the 3rd and 4th gens is 16mm. So basically you need a bushing with a 16mm OD and 1/2" ID. That, and each one needs to be the right length so when they are inserted, they allow the shock to sit tightly between them (1.5" for mine with the bearing spacers).

So with the extended lower eyelet, this should work well for the 6.5 Fox shocks.

That's what I am thinking too. Just weld in the bushings to the arm.

FYI I found out that the bolt size for the lower rear strut on both the 3rd and 4th gens is 16mm. So basically you need a bushing with a 16mm OD and 1/2" ID. That, and each one needs to be the right length so when they are inserted, they allow the shock to sit tightly between them (1.5" for mine with the bearing spacers).

EDIT: or since that size would be hard to find, get some 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD drill bushings with a collar, like these:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0305987

You'd need to enlarge the shock bolt hole to 3/4" (between 3/16" - 1/8" larger) and these would just slide into the hole. Not sure if the length is right though.

So with the extended lower eyelet, this should work well for the 6.5 Fox shocks.

I got them installed this afternoon. Started at 4pm, and finished at 7:30pm. Still have to get the height set right on each side. Man I hav a lot of down travel now. Gotta see about get some limit straps. Makes it a lot harder to get it jacked up. This is going to be great wheeling, being able to keep both wheels planted. Here's some pics. I have about a 1/2 inch between the cv and the mount. No touching when I turn the wheels.
DSCN0202_zps15f060fc.jpg

DSCN0201_zps97150524.jpg

DSCN0197_zps71abe56b.jpg

DSCN0191_zpsb47090c7.jpg

Congrats! Looks good. Let us know how it rides when you get the preload all set up.

I will, plus I will be trying to set the adjustment on the coilovers to get the best ride I can get.

also maybe a shot with it all flexed out in the front...would be interested to see how the UCAs and outer CV boots look.

I'll take a pic of it when I adjust them, also I only got a 600lb spring on mine and it is already sitting at 37 1/2 with what little adjustment I made. Right now I am probably about 70percent droop in the coilovers, I am going to get it around 60 percent once I have 6.5 inch coilovers.

I took it for a ride this morning, very smooth. No clanking over the bumps like the struts did. Need a little daylight to do the final adjustments.

Glad to hear it rides well. Smoother than stock struts too, nice!

I'll take a pic of it when I adjust them, also I only got a 600lb spring on mine and it is already sitting at 37 1/2 with what little adjustment I made. Right now I am probably about 70percent droop in the coilovers, I am going to get it around 60 percent once I have 6.5 inch coilovers.

So you're saying that you have 30% of the shock shaft left for downtravel when you're sitting on flat ground? or 70%?

Glad to hear it rides well. Smoother than stock struts too, nice!

So you're saying that you have 30% of the shock shaft left for downtravel when you're sitting on flat ground? or 70%?

Only 30% shaft showing, still have to adjust the springs on the coilovers. I only have it adjusted about 2"up the coil over shaft.Just tight enough to keep the springs on when I put them on. I only have about 2" of shaft showing. I want it at about 3".

Only 30% shaft showing, still have to adjust the springs on the coilovers. I only have it adjusted about 2"up the coil over shaft.Just tight enough to keep the springs on when I put them on. I only have about 2" of shaft showing. I want it at about 3".

OK I understand now, makes perfect sense. Again, great work!

I'm not too far behind you. Finished cutting out my lower bracket pieces and hope to have everything done and assembled onto the truck by the end of next week. Then I'll be able to measure for the limit straps and get those ordered.

Oh, what was your total extended shock length with the mounts again? From the original upper strut mount surface to the original strut bolt hole.

23.5" total with everything.

remember that once the coilovers have been on for a couple of days they will drop a little as they get used to the weight being on them,, it may take a couple of adjustments till they are set ,

i bet you found out already how much smoother they are as they resist up travel way smoother than the stock struts,,

remember that once the coilovers have been on for a couple of days they will drop a little as they get used to the weight being on them,, it may take a couple of adjustments till they are set ,

i bet you found out already how much smoother they are as they resist up travel way smoother than the stock struts,,

I think also one of the reasons it drove so smooth is the 600 lb springs, just not enough for the Explorer. I am going to order some 750lbs ones today.

I think also one of the reasons it drove so smooth is the 600 lb springs, just not enough for the Explorer. I am going to order some 750lbs ones today.

You can figure out what spring rate you need based on what the coilover is doing now with the weight of the truck on it.

For example, say without preload, your shock is 70% compressed with the truck sitting on the tires. It's a 6.25" travel shock, so 70% of that is 4.375".

So since you're running 600lb springs, you multiply 600lbs by 4.375", gives a result of 2625 lbs of force being supported by the spring.

Now that you have that, say you want your shock to only be 60% compressed with the weight of the truck on it. 60% of the 6.25" travel shock is 3.75".

Since you know the shock sees 2625 lbs of force when the truck is sitting on the ground, divide 2625lbs by 3.75" = 700lb spring rate.

Or, if you were going to use a 750lb spring, divide 2625lbs by 750lbs = 3.5" available downtravel or 56%.

That's all with no preload of course. Not 100% sure if it's better to get the spring rate you need to get the height you want with little no preload, or get a softer spring than you need and preload it some. From what I have been reading you can do 0-2" of preload without issue, provided you don't compress the coil so much that it binds before the shock can compress fully. I guess you could look at the spring rate as a way to get in the ballpark on ride height and then just add preload as needed to fine tune it to get it perfect.

You can figure out what spring rate you need based on what the coilover is doing now with the weight of the truck on it.

For example, say without preload, your shock is 70% compressed with the truck sitting on the tires. It's a 6.25" travel shock, so 70% of that is 4.375".

So since you're running 600lb springs, you multiply 600lbs by 4.375", gives a result of 2625 lbs of force being supported by the spring.

Now that you have that, say you want your shock to only be 60% compressed with the weight of the truck on it. 60% of the 6.25" travel shock is 3.75".

Since you know the shock sees 2625 lbs of force when the truck is sitting on the ground, divide 2625lbs by 3.75" = 700lb spring rate.
Or, if you were going to use a 750lb spring, divide 2625lbs by 750lbs = 3.5" available downtravel or 56%.

That's all with no preload of course. Not 100% sure if it's better to get the spring rate you need to get the height you want with little no preload, or get a softer spring than you need and preload it some. From what I have been reading you can do 0-2" of preload without issue, provided you don't compress the coil so much that it binds before the shock can compress fully. I guess you could look at the spring rate as a way to get in the ballpark on ride height and then just add preload as needed to fine tune it to get it perfect.
That's my problem. I have to much preload to get the ride height I have now.
Here's some pic's fully extended.
DSCN0204_zpsdf0ec33a.jpg

DSCN0203_zps4bb440b8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back