• Register Today It's free!

I'm finally saying something.

loosenut349

Reaction score
City, State
S.W. Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Aerostar XLT E4WD
:aerostar: Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have been a member for almost three years and, although i don't say very much, I am amazed at how many aerostars have very similar problems. Personally, I think the aerostar was one of fords better ideas and i would not own any other mini van. You can't beat the reliability. I have towed a 6500 pound dodge van and pulled a dodge stealth out of a ditch with my 95. Toughest four/all wheel drive i have ever used. I just wish it was a manual not an automatic trans. This is a great site and Brooklyn Bay seems very knowledgeable about these vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed 100% man, although I can't speak to the AWD's because I've never owned one. But, I do agree that I would not own any other minivan besides an Aerostar!

The all wheel drive is great. It can go ALMOST anywhere a regular four wheel drive can go. I had the van up north for two years and had no problems in the snow. In fact, I could not get it to go sideways no matter how hard I tried.

It's unfortunate that Ford never came out with a suitable replacement for it. The Transit van is their closest match but it's not the same. They originally thought that the Windstar would replace it. The Aerostar was a RWD (or AWD) built on a truck platform, so it feels like you're driving a truck (not a car). The size is just right for hauling appliances, tools, people, etc. A friend of mine bought a new Honda Odyssey. It looks like it's very hard to work on. I know about people complaining about making tune ups in the Aerostar, but did anybody ever see how hard the battery is to reach on the newer vans? Try to replace an alternator, power steering pump, or belt tensioner on a FWD van. The frame is about an inch away from the pulleys.

Tune ups in aerostar

:aerostar: Doing a plug change in an aerostar is not that bad, The 4.0 with the EDIS system means that you only have to change the plugs and wires. Plugs 1,2,4,5 can be changed through the wheelwell with a long extension. plugs 3 and 6 can be done from under the van. The 3.0 with a standard distributor is easy enough to get to by removing the doghouse.

in my 4.0 liter, I replaced the front and center driver's side spark plugs just standing in front of the engine, not difficult at all. The rear plug I accessed though the wheelwell.

That's why I chose an Aerostar for a work vehicle. Truck (Ranger) based, rwd, easy parts availability, plenty still on the road. And cheap to buy! I worked w/a guy who used to have one as a work van too. He said he ended up cutting a 3" hole in the floor using a holesaw, to get at that back spark plug! And just popped in a rubber plug to fill the hole. I discovered later that with the interior panels removed, and a few hammer bumps on the wheel wells, I can slide a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood, drywall, etc flat on the floor. Then, I built a platform over it using 5/8" plywood, 2 x 4s, and some 1/2" angle iron. Makes a fine work van, and since lately, the only work has been in Charlotte, 30+ miles away! -Adam

I will get a picture for y'all in the next couple of days.

Adam, did you get a chance to take a picture of the platform?

Sorry BB, I don't always get on here daily. But here you go!
CRIM0033.jpg

CRIM0034.jpg

CRIM0035.jpg

Pardon the mess, it is a work vehicle after all! I used 5/8" CDX plywood, with 2x4 runners on either side of the wheel arches. I made cross supports w/the ply, and later bolted 1/2" angle iron to both sides to stiffen it up. The side shelf is handy, and my almost full size spare is on the end. And since I haven't posted any pics before, a full shot. Note the '99 Explorer/Ranger rims on the rear! -Adam

It looks good. I have an idea for you. Screw in a couple of eye bolts along the lower area where the plastic buckets are, then hook stretch cords from one side to another. This will keep the buckets from moving around while you drive so that they don't turn over. How do you keep the body so clean for a work vehicle? White usually shows every hand print. Your truck looks very clean (even the wheels). The rear wheels are nice. Do you plan on getting matching wheels for the front?

It looks good. I have an idea for you. Screw in a couple of eye bolts along the lower area where the plastic buckets are, then hook stretch cords from one side to another. This will keep the buckets from moving around while you drive so that they don't turn over. How do you keep the body so clean for a work vehicle? White usually shows every hand print. Your truck looks very clean (even the wheels). The rear wheels are nice. Do you plan on getting matching wheels for the front?

Good idea, but actually, the buckets will stay on their own, I just pull them out to look for things. Organization is not my strong suit! It's also not as clean as it looks. I unfortunately backed into a dump truck and caved in the left 1/4 panel under the tailight last year. As for the rims, I have a full set, just waiting for work to pick up, so I can afford tires for them! I need to put air in that front tire before I go anywhere, it has a plug. Just trying to nurse them along a few more miles. -Adam

I need to put air in that front tire before I go anywhere, it has a plug. Just trying to nurse them along a few more miles. -Adam

I am in the same boat with my van! Even the same tire (drivers side front) keeps going low for some reason. I have to air it up every few days. Like you, trying to nurse it along until I get the other wheels/tires on.

Spray bubble solution or glass cleaner on the plug & tire valve (without the cap on). An air leak will blow bubbles. The tire shops put the tire in a tub of water. Don't put it in your bathtub when your wife is home (unless you want to move into your van). :D

Back