• Register Today It's free!

New lifters, prime or bleed?

Tomas

Reaction score
City, State
Stockholm
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I'm currently replacing my rockers and lifters with new parts and been trying to read up on lifter installation procedures. Some say that the lifters should be primed and some say that they need to be bled.

So what should I do, prime or bleed and why?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I had to perform a top end rebuild, I reused my old lifters since there was no issue with them that I could tell. So, I cleaned my old lifters by soaking them in ATF for several days, brake cleaner to flush deposits and then a long multi-day soak in synthetic motor oil use in my engine. Never had lifter noise.

Soaking the lifter prior to installation might help it pump up a bit quicker but oil pressure is what pumps the lifter up to take up the slack in the valve train. It would pump up regardless.

Obviously it is wise to lube up any component when installing it to prevent unnecessary wear on first start-up.

I thought that priming meant filling the lifters with oil to get them preloaded and "stiff". That seemed to be like a bad idea to me because if they were too long something could break.

Priming just means you're actively trying to get the oil into the lifter rather than just letting it ooze where it can by soaking. You won't be preloading a lifter by hand, even if you tried to, it'd all leak out by the time you had the engine assembled and could start it.

Soak 'em, prime 'em, get 'em as oiled as you can to prevent wear on the first start-up.

I'm currently replacing my rockers and lifters with new parts and been trying to read up on lifter installation procedures. Some say that the lifters should be primed and some say that they need to be bled.

So what should I do, prime or bleed and why?

You do know the heads have to come off to take the lifters out right? Better add head bolts and upper intake gasket kit to that list.question is why are you replacing the lifters? If you just have a tap then start by just replacing the rockers and pushrods.if its stock get both at rock auto, dont use delta cams rockers!!.that way you wont have to pull the heads and normally that fixes the problem

I'm replacing the lifters because all are worn and some are collapsed. And yes I know I need to take the heads off :)

I've just ground my valves and seats and installed everything with new stem seals. Getting ready to put everything together soon!

Back