• Register Today It's free!

Oil dripping off oil filter

cowpusher

Reaction score
City, State
Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Just found a oil spot under the 2012 Exp about the size of a post it note. It is dripping down the oil filter. Haven't got it up on the lift yet to start checking. It is ready for its third oil change in app 600 miles.
The first changes two were done by the dealer.
Just wondering if anyone else has sprung a leak at the filter this late in an oil change cycle .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be just a touch loose. Try to tighten it by hand a little and see what happens. Better than having it come even more loose and all the oil come out while driving.

If tightening doesn't stop it then the most likely cause is a double gasket. Sometimes when the old filter is removed the rubber gasket sticks to the oils filter housing. If you don't check it then you install the new filter resulting in two gaskets and a oil leak.

Regardless of the cause you really need to check it out. If its just loose there is a chance of it becoming more so. Nothing will kill a engine quicker then total oil loss. There is allot of oil going through there. It doesn't take long. At highway speed you would most likely not catch it in time.

I have had the double gasket happen before . It usually leaks when oil pressure builds up. On a diesel you find out real quick :eek: .I'll check the filter and go ahead with a oil change while I have it in the air .
Anything else I should look at while I am under there ?

I have had the double gasket happen before . It usually leaks when oil pressure builds up. On a diesel you find out real quick :eek: .I'll check the filter and go ahead with a oil change while I have it in the air .
Anything else I should look at while I am under there ?

My Explorer Sport goes in on Wednesday to see what the problem is - got the same kind of oil dripping coming from beneath the engine compartment (although I've yet to have an oil change at a touch over 4500 km). They did however mention as TSB for the rear differential leaking when the temperatures drop below freezing. I'll post back here if I find anything else out.

Mike or Riley have probably nailed it. I've had 1 experience with the gasket not coming off with the old filter. In my case the new oil POURED out when I started the engine. :fire: Guess why it's only happened once. Could also be a dirty sealing surface or a chunk of the old filter pulled off and was left behind.

Just found a oil spot under the 2012 Exp about the size of a post it note. It is dripping down the oil filter. Haven't got it up on the lift yet to start checking. It is ready for its third oil change in app 600 miles.
The first changes two were done by the dealer.
Just wondering if anyone else has sprung a leak at the filter this late in an oil change cycle .

Hey cowpusher,

Even though you sound like a DIY kind of person, you can always swing back by the dealership so they can take a look. Additionally, I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager so they can collaborate with your dealer on a resolution. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll handle the rest!

Could be just a touch loose. Try to tighten it by hand a little and see what happens. Better than having it come even more loose and all the oil come out while driving.

If tightening doesn't stop it then the most likely cause is a double gasket. Sometimes when the old filter is removed the rubber gasket sticks to the oils filter housing. If you don't check it then you install the new filter resulting in two gaskets and a oil leak.

Regardless of the cause you really need to check it out. If its just loose there is a chance of it becoming more so. Nothing will kill a engine quicker then total oil loss. There is allot of oil going through there. It doesn't take long. At highway speed you would most likely not catch it in time.

Great ideas, Riley and MikeFreas!

My Explorer Sport goes in on Wednesday to see what the problem is - got the same kind of oil dripping coming from beneath the engine compartment (although I've yet to have an oil change at a touch over 4500 km). They did however mention as TSB for the rear differential leaking when the temperatures drop below freezing. I'll post back here if I find anything else out.

Thanks for offering to keep us updated, tazcubed! Since you live in Canada, you're always welcome to contact my fine colleagues north of the border if you need any assistance. Ford Canada can be reached at 1-800-565-3673.

Crystal

So, got the truck back after having the update applied for SYNC as well as replaced the o-rings on the differentials. I'll have to wait and see this week whether the seals hold given the cold weather this week. If your leak continues, double check these seals.

So, got the truck back after having the update applied for SYNC as well as replaced the o-rings on the differentials. I'll have to wait and see this week whether the seals hold given the cold weather this week. If your leak continues, double check these seals.

I'm glad your truck is back home, tazcubed. Keep us posted on any news.

Crystal

Got it on the lift , filter couldn't be turned any by hand. I put a wrench on it just to see if I could snug it up , moved app. 1/8 turn. Went ahead and did a oil change ,no double gasket .I didn't think that was the problem or it would have leaked sooner. And the oil change guy at the dealer tried to round off the oil plug . :mad:
No tears or wrinkles in the filter gasket . Looking front to back the oil was seeping out the mid right hand side of the filter.
She has put 250 miles on since the oil change , no leaks yet. Might just be one of those things that makes you go HUH .

And the oil change guy at the dealer tried to round off the oil plug .

There's some people that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car with a tool in their hand. Unfortunately lots of those people seem to work at dealerships.

Just an update . She has 1900 miles since the oil filter change. Temps from 19 to 60 degrees, lots of 30-50 mile trips and at least 4 over 200 miles in length. Not a drop of oil anywhere but I check the carport each morning. :D

My 2017 Explorer 3.5 NA is doing this now and it is extremely frustrating. I changed the oil earlier this summer and oil is already dripping off the end of the filter and making spots on my driveway. The filter is snug and this is at least the third time this has happened. I've used Motorcraft and Fram Ultra filters and I have not found any issues with them when removed. Any suggestions? Could there be something above the filter housing that has a slow leak that is making its way to and down the filter?

Check the where the rubber seal meets the metal surface to create a seal. There might be a defect or nick in the metal that is keeping the rubber from seating properly.

Back