PTU Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GeoMimi89

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
I only have 2800 miles on the Ex. Found an oil spot on the ground in the garage and took it in. Ford said its a PTU seal leak. It's about a two to three hour job. They got the part for me in one day, taking it in next week!
Has anyone had a PTU seal leak yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only have 2800 miles on the Ex. Found an oil spot on the ground in the garage and took it in. Ford said its a PTU seal leak. It's about a two to three hour job. They got the part for me in one day, taking it in next week!
I did a quick Internet search and found that this is not an unknown issue with many Ford vehicles. I don't recall anyone posting about the problem here before.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I see it has been a problem on other ford vehicles. Just wanted to know if any explorers had this happen before.

Hi GeoMimi89,

It sounds like your dealership is taking great care of you! Let me know how things go next week. If you need any assistance, you know where to find me. :)

Thanks!

Crystal

Yes we had this seal go bad on our 2011, it is the seal at the end of the trans feeding the drive shaft that goes to the rear end. We had about 15,000 miles on ours when it started leaking. Very easy to spot the leak looking under the truck you can see the seal right at the drive shaft end. Dealer had ours for a week and a half because the part was on back order. So your not the first, I just didn't start a tread on it sorry.

Yes we had this seal go bad on our 2011, it is the seal at the end of the trans feeding the drive shaft that goes to the rear end. We had about 15,000 miles on ours when it started leaking. Very easy to spot the leak looking under the truck you can see the seal right at the drive shaft end. Dealer had ours for a week and a half because the part was on back order. So your not the first, I just didn't start a tread on it sorry.

Hey, thanks for responding. It took 2 hours on Friday. It's fixed for now.

Mine failed at 14000 miles on my 2011. The dealer was great, fixed it right the first time.

Hey, thanks for responding. It took 2 hours on Friday. It's fixed for now.

I'm glad to hear that you're back on the road again, GeoMimi89! If you need anything in the future, you know where to find me. :thumbsup:

Another PTU seal leaking - 2011 XLT

All, I just want to share my story and seek some advise. What I have is a XLT AWD which is 2 years old and has 23k miles on it. My XLT was built in Jan. 2011.

Last Friday, when drove my XLT at 30mph, suddenly a 'Fuel Level LOW, _ _ mil to Empty' warning was up and a yellow wrench icon was up too. I also see other warning icons like airbag and fuel icons. I immediately pulled over and after full stop, I shifted the stick from D to P. When I shifted the stick, I can feel strong kicks/bumps. I knew there was something wrong with the tranny. I had my 18 month-old and wife with me so I managed to restart the engine and wish I can still drive it. After restarted the engine, warning signs went away but I can still feel the kicks when shift from P to D. Also when I push the gas peddle, the car won't accelerate. Anyways, about 200 feet drive, the tranny started working fine. After drop off my wife and son, I drove to the dealership near my home. They had a quick test drive with me but found nothing wrong at the moment. They say maybe it is a computer glitch. I believed them. Then the same day, when I drove it at night for about 20 miles, the problem came back twice and even the check engine light came up. I decided not to drive it and had it towed to the dealership (the towing service is good though).

The next morning I went to the dealership and since it was Sat., nobody was going to check my car. They had no courtesy car for me or won't get a rental for me. I researched warranty and was not surprised but still feel frustrated since this is my only car. Anyways, I called Ford 800 number and got a nice agent who said I can get a rental myself first and they may reimburse me later.

This Monday, a nice lady who is a customer service manger called me to follow up and promised to reimburse my rental. Later that day, a tech from dealership called and informed me that the PTU seal is leaking and the fluid is below minimum, which may caused the problem. I asked why the check engine light and low fuel level light are also on and he says they will test drive it later once the seal is fixed. Tech also said the seal is a known issue.

I researched this forum and found only two threads about PTU failure. I also searched internet and seems 2011 EX shares the same powertrain with Edge and there are about complaints about Edge PTU seal.

I'm so worried about the reliability of my EX now even they can fix it this time. Who knows when it will fail again?! If this is a known issue, why there is no recall or TSB against the issue? Also how can I detect the problem earlier since the computer system doesn't give me a warning before. I cannot imagine I need check if there is any oil leak under the body every day nervously and will have concern it may break any time on road.

I know I should not generalize the issue but this is my first American car but I just lost my confidence of driving it. Before this problem, I had small problems like A pillar noise and bumpy tranny issue fixed (there are TSBs). I simply cannot bear the fact that a 2-year-old Ford can be disabled on road and need be towed. I'm even thinking trade in this for a new car but it may not be Ford any more.

Welcome to the Forum yjgift.:wavey:
I don't think that a TSB is necessarily opened for every problem. In this case, as you stated, there were very few posts on this issue and your problem was addressed and fixed by Ford and you were reimbursed for your rental.
So regardless of whether there was a TSB for this, the final result would likely have been the same.
There are many items on any car, new or old, that can cause a breakdown on the road. That is one of the facts that we as owners have to face. I doubt you will find any manufacturer who will absolutely guaranty that their vehicle won't, at some time, have a problem. It is the way that the problem is addressed that will have an immediate impact on the owner and their thoughts about the vehicle.
Happy motoring.

Peter

All, I just want to share my story and seek some advise. What I have is a XLT AWD which is 2 years old and has 23k miles on it. My XLT was built in Jan. 2011.

Last Friday, when drove my XLT at 30mph, suddenly a 'Fuel Level LOW, _ _ mil to Empty' warning was up and a yellow wrench icon was up too. I also see other warning icons like airbag and fuel icons. I immediately pulled over and after full stop, I shifted the stick from D to P. When I shifted the stick, I can feel strong kicks/bumps. I knew there was something wrong with the tranny. I had my 18 month-old and wife with me so I managed to restart the engine and wish I can still drive it. After restarted the engine, warning signs went away but I can still feel the kicks when shift from P to D. Also when I push the gas peddle, the car won't accelerate. Anyways, about 200 feet drive, the tranny started working fine. After drop off my wife and son, I drove to the dealership near my home. They had a quick test drive with me but found nothing wrong at the moment. They say maybe it is a computer glitch. I believed them. Then the same day, when I drove it at night for about 20 miles, the problem came back twice and even the check engine light came up. I decided not to drive it and had it towed to the dealership (the towing service is good though).

The next morning I went to the dealership and since it was Sat., nobody was going to check my car. They had no courtesy car for me or won't get a rental for me. I researched warranty and was not surprised but still feel frustrated since this is my only car. Anyways, I called Ford 800 number and got a nice agent who said I can get a rental myself first and they may reimburse me later.

This Monday, a nice lady who is a customer service manger called me to follow up and promised to reimburse my rental. Later that day, a tech from dealership called and informed me that the PTU seal is leaking and the fluid is below minimum, which may caused the problem. I asked why the check engine light and low fuel level light are also on and he says they will test drive it later once the seal is fixed. Tech also said the seal is a known issue.

I researched this forum and found only two threads about PTU failure. I also searched internet and seems 2011 EX shares the same powertrain with Edge and there are about complaints about Edge PTU seal.

I'm so worried about the reliability of my EX now even they can fix it this time. Who knows when it will fail again?! If this is a known issue, why there is no recall or TSB against the issue? Also how can I detect the problem earlier since the computer system doesn't give me a warning before. I cannot imagine I need check if there is any oil leak under the body every day nervously and will have concern it may break any time on road.

I know I should not generalize the issue but this is my first American car but I just lost my confidence of driving it. Before this problem, I had small problems like A pillar noise and bumpy tranny issue fixed (there are TSBs). I simply cannot bear the fact that a 2-year-old Ford can be disabled on road and need be towed. I'm even thinking trade in this for a new car but it may not be Ford any more.

Hi yjgift,

Sounds like you had a frustrating experience, but I'm glad that your customer service manager and dealership worked together to get this resolved for you. Is your Explorer back with you now or is it still at the dealership? Keep us posted, and if you need any additional assistance, just let me know.

Crystal

I had a PTU leak a couple of months ago. No lights on dash just a small spot on the garage floor. Since fixed I have had no issues with it!

Good luck with yours!

My car has been fixed yesterday and I've picked it up. They replaced one gasket and two seals and filled up the PTU fluid. I will watch it more closely. Ford customer service manager also called to follow up.

I still have the concern if the problem will come back again after reading complaints from Edge owners for the same issue. Seems this is covered by the powertrain 5yr/60kmils warranty, so we will see.

My car has been fixed yesterday and I've picked it up. They replaced one gasket and two seals and filled up the PTU fluid. I will watch it more closely. Ford customer service manager also called to follow up...

Thanks for updating us, yjgift! It sounds like your dealership took great care of you. If you have any concerns in the future, don't hesitate to contact me.

Crystal

what a JOKE!

Ok, it is me again coming back to let you know how my Explorer is doing:

bad news: the same issue comes back again, exact one month past the fix. It happened 40 minutes ago when I push the gas pedal to accelerate, same warning signs, same strong transmission kick when I stop to shift the stick from D to P and same everything. :mad::mad::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

good news: I was able to keep driving home after restart the engine and tried my best not to accelerate too hard.

Ok, what's next? I will go to the same dealership who fixed my car tomorrow morning and let's see what the reason/execute is this time. Last time, it was PTU seal leaking; I paid attention to my car after the fix and don't see any oil on my drive way. If they tell me the PTU seal is leaking again this time, I won't accept the resolution to replace the seal only this time. Again, I hope I will have no problem to get a rental again.

Anyway, my best move shall be to trade in the car ASAP once it is fixed. I'm 100% sure Ford is losing one more customer.

IT SEAM LIKE FORD NOW'S ABOUT THIS ISSUE BECAUSE ITS BEEN HAPPENING TO THE EDGE. Ford Edge Problem

40 Reports
Me Too
Model Years Affected: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Drive Trains Affected: AWD, FWD

Average Mileage: 45,506,312 mi (3,000 mi - 1,500,027,000 mi)

Verified
A leaking axle shaft seal and / or PTU cover seal can cause transmission (red) or Power Transfer Unit (PTU) (brown) fluid leaks at the axle area. The axle shaft seal and / or PTU cover seal may be leaking and should be replaced as required. GO TO REPAIRPAL.COM READ OF OTHERS

Want to give you guys some update:
This morning I dropped off the car to the dealership and they will not have anymore look at it today. I think, OK let me get a rental again and hope will get the reimbursement like last time. I got the rental, went to office and called Ford customer service. Regional manager called back and said this time they will not give me rental any more!! Their policy is I can have free rental every 12-month!!

OK, Ford, listen, you cannot guarantee that your car will break less than one time per year and you have so funny customer care rule, I will not be your customer anymore. Once it is fixed, I will try best to trade in it and let everyone stay away from Ford. Period.

IT SEAM LIKE FORD NOW'S ABOUT THIS ISSUE BECAUSE ITS BEEN HAPPENING TO THE EDGE. Ford Edge Problem

40 Reports
Me Too
Model Years Affected: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Drive Trains Affected: AWD, FWD

Average Mileage: 45,506,312 mi (3,000 mi - 1,500,027,000 mi)

Verified
A leaking axle shaft seal and / or PTU cover seal can cause transmission (red) or Power Transfer Unit (PTU) (brown) fluid leaks at the axle area. The axle shaft seal and / or PTU cover seal may be leaking and should be replaced as required. GO TO REPAIRPAL.COM READ OF OTHERS
If the average mileage for this problem to occur is 45 million miles, I don't think I'm going to worry about it. I'm only at around 8,000.:)

Peter

This morning I dropped off the car to the dealership and they will not have anymore look at it today. I think, OK let me get a rental again and hope will get the reimbursement like last time. I got the rental, went to office and called Ford customer service. Regional manager called back and said this time they will not give me rental any more!! Their policy is I can have free rental every 12-month!!

OK, Ford, listen, you cannot guarantee that your car will break less than one time per year and you have so funny customer care rule, I will not be your customer anymore. Once it is fixed, I will try best to trade in it and let everyone stay away from Ford. Period.
That doesn't make sense to only allow one rental per year. As far as I'm concerned, if it is a warranty related repair, a rental should be provided.
I suggest that you send a PM to Crystal (FordCustSrvc) and see if she can help you.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This morning I dropped off the car to the dealership and they will not have anymore look at it today. I think, OK let me get a rental again and hope will get the reimbursement like last time. I got the rental, went to office and called Ford customer service. Regional manager called back and said this time they will not give me rental any more!! Their policy is I can have free rental every 12-month...

Hi yjgift,

I want to look into your case and see how I can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, current mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll start investigating.

...I suggest that you send a PM to Crystal (FordCustSrvc) and see if she can help you.

Peter

Thanks for getting me involved, Peter! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back