Plasti dipped stock wheels and chrome pieces/HID fogs installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plasti dipped stock wheels and chrome pieces/HID fogs installed

_RELENTLESS_

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I decided to plasti dip the stock rims just to see how they looked. Must say, they came out better than expected. Put 6 coats per wheel just to make sure it was on there good. While I was waiting for the wheels to dry, I got bored and plasti dipped the back lettering as well as the chrome piece across the rear tailgate.
I also installed DDM Tuning 6000K HID fogs as well. A huge difference. My HID headlights will be in tomorrow so will post pics of them when installed.

IMG_0121_zps608300ae.jpg

IMG_0132_zps9ef40b3c.jpg

IMG_0135_zps4e1dafcf.jpg

IMG_0131_zpsdd3fc7cf.jpg

IMG_0125_zpsabb4a9bc.jpg

IMG_0136_zps47454b9e.jpg

IMG_0134_zps46816d44.jpg

IMG_0139_zps58531a67.jpg

IMG_0138_zpscbbf8a04.jpg

HID fogs: and yes in the night time pic my low beams are on lol.
IMG_0101_zps9f72ff8c.jpg

IMG_0129_zps1ea7b371.jpg

IMG_0137_zps6b35ee08.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice!

I'm torn on the rims, every time I see them plasti dipped, they look so small to me.

Looks awesome. I guess you had some good weather in KC to do all of that.

Nice!

I'm torn on the rims, every time I see them plasti dipped, they look so small to me.

Yea I understand. If you get bored, you could always do one wheel and if you don't like it, you can always peel it off :)

Looks awesome. I guess you had some good weather in KC to do all of that.

Yea during the day it was great weather. At night it got down to low 30s so had to grab a space heater to help with the drying process lol

Looks great!!! Thanks for sharing the photos.

I really like the blacked out rear piece.

Looks great!!! Thanks for sharing the photos.

I really like the blacked out rear piece.

Thank you. I appreciate it. I've got that urge to do more now so I'll keep you guys posted:D

looks good, when i painted rims in the past with tires on i used a deck of cards to protect the tires from the over spray. i am sure the plasti dip was easier to get off the tires though.

nice supra, any mods?

I'm curious what is the process to accomplish this? Do you have to sand the wheels down and how does it get applied. Is this the same stuff you can dip your tools in and how well does it hold up. I have trailer wheels that I might do.
Thanks

From what I understand after looking into it, the only prep is a little soapy water and maybe some rubbing alcohol.

The whole idea of the stuff is to protect what's underneath it and keep its original condition, so sanding would defeat the purpose.

Yea I understand. If you get bored, you could always do one wheel and if you don't like it, you can always peel it off :)

I would never use it on my Explorer....the deep green paint wouldn't look good with black IMO.

I am considering using it on the grill of my Silverado.
8312794b.jpg

looks good, when i painted rims in the past with tires on i used a deck of cards to protect the tires from the over spray. i am sure the plasti dip was easier to get off the tires though.

nice supra, any mods?

lol thanks....I was waiting to see if somebody noticed it. I recently bought it off my dad. It's a '94 TT 6 spd with 49K miles. Stock right now. I'm waiting until summer time to start the transformation.

I'm curious what is the process to accomplish this? Do you have to sand the wheels down and how does it get applied. Is this the same stuff you can dip your tools in and how well does it hold up. I have trailer wheels that I might do.
Thanks

There's not sanding required. I just took a cloth and some rubbing alcohol and wiped them down really well after i washed the whole vehicle. You don't even need to take the wheels off. Some people just mask off the calipers/brakes and spray it. I took them off because my banana hands couldn't fit so well behind the wheels and it was an easier process just to take them off.

nice supra, any mods?

Yea I used the same principle by placing notecards in between the tire and wheel. Very simple and effective.

lol thanks....I was waiting to see if somebody noticed it. I recently bought it off my dad. It's a '94 TT 6 spd with 49K miles. Stock right now. I'm waiting until summer time to start the transformation.

i would love to own one lol, i had a 600hp neon (srt4).

i would love to own one lol, i had a 600hp neon (srt4).

lol a supra has always been my dream car. Even before fast and the furious made it popular haha. 600 hp is a beast for a srt4. my buddy had a 600 hp srt4 as well before he joined the police force and had to sell it. I don't see too many around here anymore. Alot of mustangs though lol.

eventually a 1000 hp supra is in my future haha. i got rid of the SRT when i started my business, which will allow me to have the supra some day soon hopefully.

did you get a good price from your dad? i saw one for sale a few years ago as a "celica" guy had no idea really what he had, which i had the money then. Only wanted like $12k

eventually a 1000 hp supra is in my future haha. i got rid of the SRT when i started my business, which will allow me to have the supra some day soon hopefully.

did you get a good price from your dad? i saw one for sale a few years ago as a "celica" guy had no idea really what he had, which i had the money then. Only wanted like $12k

I would say $7500 is a steal, but it's family so that counts for something lol. 1000 hp supra would be awesome but I want to be able to drive it on the streets without wasting tires when I get on it haha. I'm shooting for around 700 hp. $12K is still a really good price. Did it have low mileage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It had like 56k miles, the guy really had no clue what it was. I wish my dad had a supra and hooked me up with a nice price like that.

was it an N/A or TT? 6spd? 56K miles isn't that much in all honesty. Especially with a 15-20 year old car. You ever looked on eBay at some of the supras for sale on there? Some of them want $40K for a low mileage supra. So more than likely that guy that had the supra that you looked at got ripped off if he did in fact sell it lol.

Back