Black-out effort continues on my Explorer (pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black-out effort continues on my Explorer (pics)

txaggie

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Black-out effort continues on my Explorer (pics updated 3/18)

In an effort to continue blacking out the chrome and silver colored pieces on my green Limited, I PlastiDip'ed the rear emblems this weekend. First off I masked off EVERYTHING (didn't want overspray issues) :) :)

maskedoff.jpg

With the result as

ExplorerChromeBlack.jpg

And finally, I purchased the black roof rails and put them on today. They look really good, although I still think it would so much better without any rails period. But oh well

ExplorerRails1.jpg

And the chrome strip at the bottom of the doors is the next step!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good i to think they look better without the rails. I believe they have caps to plug the wholes. I know they did on the 03 models ... But then again they might not be made for the 2011 and up yet . Il have to look into that

Very nice. Do you have spacers on the rims or is the offset bigger

Very nice. Do you have spacers on the rims or is the offset bigger

No spacers were used, but the offset is different. The stock rims were I believe 44mm, and the TSW wheels are only 40mm.

looks good i to think they look better without the rails. I believe they have caps to plug the wholes. I know they did on the 03 models ... But then again they might not be made for the 2011 and up yet . Il have to look into that

Let me know if you find anything. Even the lowest model has the rails, the black ones.

Cool to see another green gem getting some love!

Let me know if you find anything. Even the lowest model has the rails, the black ones.

Yea I had an 03 but took the rails off cause I like the look and they made a block off plate for the holes on the roof.

Nice work! What brand wheels are those and size?

In an effort to continue blacking out the chrome and silver colored pieces on my green Limited, I PlastiDip'ed the rear emblems this weekend. First off I masked off EVERYTHING (didn't want overspray issues) :) :)

maskedoff.jpg

With the result as

ExplorerChromeBlack.jpg

And finally, I purchased the black roof rails and put them on today. They look really good, although I still think it would so much better without any rails period. But oh well

ExplorerRails1.jpg

And the chrome strip at the bottom of the doors is the next step!

The wheels are TSW Brooklands in 20x8.5 (same size as stock wheels).

The new EGR Matte window visors would look good on your EX I think. Otherwise, nice job!

Howdy fellow Aggie! Nice looking Explorer you have there!

will you be doing the door handles?

Wow, looks great! Also wanting to black out my 2013 ruby red. Do you have a part # for the black roof rails?? Also, not too familiar with plastiDip... Is it permanent, or does it peel off?

I haven't decided. I am actually waiting to see how the back strip lasts during rain, sun, washing, etc...

sounds good. i want to do mine. id like to have the least amount of chrome on the vehicle. i see that is your goal aswell. your exp looks great

QUOTE=Slide2hd;3112205] Is it permanent, or does it peel off?[/QUOTE]

Peels off

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the look. Question, where you did the single Explorer letters, how did you cut around it, looks like you sprayed a rectangle?

Back