3rd gen Explorer Coilovers | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Coilovers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took mine all the way off, and threw it away,, the coilovers work so much better than the t bars that it wasn't needed anymore,,

Well it's been about a month with the coilovers and everything is great. The ride is way better, less noise in the front. I removed the front swaybar and can not tell the difference in the ride, way better flex now. I am going wheeling next weekend and I'll let everybody know how it went.

Excellent,,
now a few questions,, if i may ?

was it worth the costs ?

are you satisfied with the results ?

would you do it again ?

if you could do anything different would you ??

Excellent,,
now a few questions,, if i may ?

was it worth the costs ?

are you satisfied with the results ?

would you do it again ?

if you could do anything different would you ??

was it worth the costs ? Yes, it was actually cheaper than the Rancho Quicklifts
are you satisfied with the results ? Yes
would you do it again ? Yes

if you could do anything different would you ?? Yes I would, I would see about making new lower control arms. The 3rd gen arms are a joke. I am already seriously think about making some of these.

Well I took it wheeling this weekend, coilovers helped a lot, but the damn rear on these 3rd gens really limits what you can do. The Explorer did great up at Coal Creek, I only had trouble one time when we were climbing a hill and at the top the was a huge boulder right in the middle, I go hi centered on it, bent my transfer case skid plate, and they had to pull me over. This is the only pics I have at the moment.
859132_10151273225156596_311518869_o.jpg

buzyse2e.jpg

DSCN0281.jpg

Great pics Mike, and glad to hear it worked well.

Looks a lot like the places we wheel in VA...rocky!

Thanks, yea the front worked great, but the rear was really limiting me. Just not sure what else you could do to make it any better.

Thanks, yea the front worked great, but the rear was really limiting me. Just not sure what else you could do to make it any better.

I guess coilovers would give you more uptravel but you really can't get anymore downtravel.

Maybe a solid axle swap with leaf springs under the axle (so it doesn't get lifted too much)?

I guess coilovers would give you more uptravel but you really can't get anymore downtravel.

Maybe a solid axle swap with leaf springs under the axle (so it doesn't get lifted too much)?

That is what I am thinking. I guess I'll may start looking into it, I know we would have to do something with hole in the frame, and the rear crossmember for more clearance.

google image it theres a black 3rd gen sas swap im looking into it very soon too .. dont seem to hard to get done really ford 8.8 rear dana 35 front try keep cost lower keep it leaf spring front and rear ride would suck but itl go anywhere or spend some extra doaway with leak springs . go a torch grinder n welder be simple not sure what steering box will go with it... if find anything out be great start a thread on a SAS swa for 3rd gen.. i do knoyou have cutt out alottttt of steel that holds the IRS/ IFS inplace..

Looks great... Damn now you got me thinking...lol... What was the total cost???

+1 on the write-up please!!

Will this help bump steer if i did this?

Ok I have a basic question regarding the 3rd gen suspension. What are the differences between the x and f150 coilovers? Is it just the mounts? I've tried searching and it keeps mentioning this thread but I think it's picking out someone's F150 tow hooks in their sig.

Ok I have a basic question regarding the 3rd gen suspension. What are the differences between the x and f150 coilovers? Is it just the mounts?

Lots of differences. Extended length, compressed length, spring rate, valving, mounting. You might be able to get some F-150 ones to bolt in with modifications but if you do I doubt they would be anywhere near optimal with how they perform.

ADS makes direct fit, bolt in coilovers that are designed specifically for the 3rd Gen explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok thanks I tried looking at their site but only saw their general products. Where can I find a link to their kit so I can see a price?

Back