• Register Today It's free!

Ticking noise 4.6L V8, all RPM

gsmaclean

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited
My 2003 Limited developed a ticking noise recently. It's at all engine speeds from idle to highway, it's there regardless of engine temperature, when it's dead cold or when the engine is hot. The frequency of the ticking is exactly 1/2 the engine RPM, so that pointed me toward fuel injectors or timing/valves as a source.

I spent about half an hour with my stethoscope tonight trying to localize the source of it, with no luck. It sounds like it's coming from vaguely the center of the intake, right in the top center of the engine - but if I were to make a guess, I'd say it's more on the passenger side than the driver's side.

I tried unplugging the injectors one by one on the passenger side, and the ticking did not go away, so it's not an injector.

Listening on the valve covers the ticking is much quieter, so I don't think it's valves.

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it could be. Can anyone offer up some suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a slight tick at idle when cold, almost sounds like a small exhaust leak on my passenger side. Goes away with RPM and when the engine gets warm.

Well....I figured out what the ticking noise was this morning. As I was driving into work, the #3 spark plug blew out of the engine.

My truck is parked outside, I looked at it quickly to see that it had in fact blown the plug out. The coil looks intact, which is good news. The bad news is that I'm now stranded at work, and it's supposed to snow today....yay!

Bummer, they make a kit to fix that. I would disconnect the coil and injector and drive it home.

Bummer, they make a kit to fix that. I would disconnect the coil and injector and drive it home.

Called my insurance company and had it taken home on the back of a flatbed (for free! I knew I was paying those premiums for SOMETHING).

I bought a kit from NAPA this afternoon, and I'll pop it in there this weekend...along with checking all my other plugs as well!

Back