Door trim misalignment with the dash | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door trim misalignment with the dash

I dont drive looking at the trim nor the dash so mine looks fine !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see better fit and finish from my last car which I owned before and cost me half as much. That's what you get buying a work in no progress. Now the myfordtouch is acting up. Rebooted and locked up a few time.

So the dealer has had my Ex all week. It was in to get the Drivers Side 2nd row seat cover replaced for the thread coming out. They told my wife that it's taking so long because they have a fix from Ford for this and were waiting on something. Hopefully the cure isn't worse than the symptom. It should be ready tomorrow, they say, so my wife will pick it up and I'll give a report tomorrow.

So the dealer has had my Ex all week. It was in to get the Drivers Side 2nd row seat cover replaced for the thread coming out. They told my wife that it's taking so long because they have a fix from Ford for this and were waiting on something. Hopefully the cure isn't worse than the symptom. It should be ready tomorrow, they say, so my wife will pick it up and I'll give a report tomorrow.

Well.. never mind... they were wrong, again... there's nothing they can do about it.. .I just hope they didn't screw it up worse working on it.

Well.. never mind... they were wrong, again... there's nothing they can do about it.. .I just hope they didn't screw it up worse working on it.

Hope ford gave you a rental. My other car is a Hyundai veracruz and they will give you a loaner if they have to keep your car overnight for warranty repair. I was surprise, the service rep told me it's a Hyundai unpublish policy.

Hope ford gave you a rental. My other car is a Hyundai veracruz and they will give you a loaner if they have to keep your car overnight for warranty repair. I was surprise, the service rep told me it's a Hyundai unpublish policy.

Ya, we've had a rental, but it was a Focus. Not a bad car, but not the Ex. Too similar to what I was driving (Mazda3 GT Hatch 2.5). My wife drove it and kept miles off the Edge and I drove my F-250. So far, we've had a rental for each time they've had it (which has been a few too many times, but this should have gotten all the things notes at Delivery).
She picked up the Ex this morning and said the door/dash alignment looked a little better than before, but still not right even though they said there was nothing they could do to make it perfect in the end.

Whatever they did, it is better. Not perfect, but for sure better. I'll get pictures tomorrow when its light out.

He's a picture of ours after the dealer messed with ours. Not sure what they did since they said they weren't able to do anything but its way better than it was.
C17-FF1D12C4C5D7-8159-00000C86560070F9_zps9c70d8d3.jpg

If you look at the interior gallery of the Explorer at www.ford.com, you will see photos of misaligned dashes and large gaps between the door and dash. This indicates to me that the gaps are within their manufacturing tolerances and to be expected with the Explorer. I didn't notice the misalignment when I took the Explorer out on test drives but I'll probably notice now that I am aware of the issue. I'll check out the trim gaps when my Explorer arrives but I don't expect the misalignment will change my decision on purchasing the Explorer. I'm not paying Mercedes, BMW or Audi money for the Explorer so I don't expect the same build quality. I am happy with the features, performance and expected quality for the price I am paying. I will, however, be buying the extended warranty to ease my reliability concerns.

I'm not paying Mercedes, BMW or Audi money for the Explorer so I don't expect the same build quality.

This is a rediculous comment.
I may not be paying for the mst expensive vehicles out there but I amstill expecting a vehicle of similar quality to what I have gotten from the same naunufacturer i have ourchased other vehilceles from. My '01 F-250 and '07 Edge didn't come with misaligned interior or exterior panels. Nor did my 97 Ranger or '95 Contour.

If mine rolled off the line as it sits now, I wouldn't have said a thing. I'm happy with it now. I thought at first it was a sloppy manufacturing process on the door. Now I'm convinced its a sloppy install since the dealer was able to get it good enough. If the factory would catch it, fix the install procedure or replace the installer(s) that doesn't seem to care about their work, there would be less compaints and a higher quality product.

Because we didn't pay 2x the money is no excuse for someone to put out sub standard work when they could do it right the first time for no extra cost. This isn't a materials cost issue.

Seems to me this is a refection of the Chicago Assembly Plant.

I'm just saying that if Ford didn't think the misaligned dash was "good enough", they would not have used pictures of it in their marketing materials.

This is a rediculous comment.
I may not be paying for the mst expensive vehicles out there but I amstill expecting a vehicle of similar quality to what I have gotten from the same naunufacturer i have ourchased other vehilceles from. My '01 F-250 and '07 Edge didn't come with misaligned interior or exterior panels. Nor did my 97 Ranger or '95 Contour.

If mine rolled off the line as it sits now, I wouldn't have said a thing. I'm happy with it now. I thought at first it was a sloppy manufacturing process on the door. Now I'm convinced its a sloppy install since the dealer was able to get it good enough. If the factory would catch it, fix the install procedure or replace the installer(s) that doesn't seem to care about their work, there would be less compaints and a higher quality product.

Because we didn't pay 2x the money is no excuse for someone to put out sub standard work when they could do it right the first time for no extra cost. This isn't a materials cost issue.

Seems to me this is a refection of the Chicago Assembly Plant.

Bryceb, thanks for sharing the photo. It looks much better then my door panel. Got to agree with your comment too. Some people on this forum is completely love blind by FORD.

It seems that we brothers in arms about this problem. My passenger side is also 1/2 inch off. Is there anything that can be done about this?

I hadn't noticed the tailgate alignment issue yet but I do remember thinking that the gap between the tailgate and the car when closed was rather wide.

My interior panels are off quite a bit as well, drivers side a bit, passenger side quite a bit. I glanced at some other vehicles last time I was on the lot, and most were like that but some weren't.

In getting the fuel system recall done today, but when I get my next servicing done in a month or so I might get it looked at. I'll have to check the outside of the doors and see how they line up but I haven't noticed it being off outside.

Hi folks, new '14 Explorer XLT owner (purchased yesterday)

Very happy with the Exp. except for the top of the glove box trim not aligning with the side trim -- is this worth trying to have fixed? I did read the thread, but seems inconclusive!

I "want" to be a "Ford guy" -- impressed with the ride quality, design and features of the new Explorer, but things like this drive me crazy! (a little OCD...)

Hi Bryceb,

Mine looked like that when I first took the Ex out of the dealer lot. Now it has gotten worse. Would be nice if your dealer can share what they did. Sucks to see this misalignment.

...Very happy with the Exp. except for the top of the glove box trim not aligning with the side trim -- is this worth trying to have fixed?...

Hi laketownmastiff,

I definitely recommend getting this in front of your dealership so they can help. Additionally, I want to loop in your regional customer service manager; for me to do so, I'll need a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get the ball rolling! :)

Crystal

Hi laketownmastiff,

I definitely recommend getting this in front of your dealership so they can help. Additionally, I want to loop in your regional customer service manager; for me to do so, I'll need a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get the ball rolling! :)

Crystal

Thank you Crystal.

My wife showed the issue to our local dealer today, who took pictures & promised they would look into it.

Would also be great if the regional customer service manager could help out -- I sent you a PM with all my info & car info & the dealer's info.

I generally like the '14 Explorer a lot, so am hoping I can get this issue resolved, so I don't have to trade it back in for a different vehicle at a huge loss ... (Yes, I know it's just a piece of mis-aligned trim... Yes, I know I am a little OCD!)

Anyways thanks again.

...Would also be great if the regional customer service manager could help out -- I sent you a PM with all my info & car info & the dealer's info...

You got it, laketownmastiff; I sent your case info in a PM. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I brought mine in for this issue and they got permission to replace the door panel. Well when I gt the car back the panel looked exactly the same as it did before they "supposedly" replaced it. It was late and was pissed and did not want to deal with it at the time but I want something done. This is unacceptable!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they did indeed replace to door panel then I would say the issue is likely with the dash. There is only so much a dealer can do to adjust it as this is a problem with the way the vehicle was built initially.

Peter

Back