99 V8 Sport AWD "Black Beauty" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 V8 Sport AWD "Black Beauty"

Hi every one out there. My name is Chris and I drive a 99 Explorer Sport. It used to be a 4.0 SOHC 4X4 and now it has new life as a 5.0 V8 AWD. Right now she sits on stock sizes tires with rims off of a 2010 Ranger. Any ways the girl friend likes to name all of my cars so she named it Black Beauty. So now I guess I need to do some black out work. Any way here is a list of mods that have been done and a list of what will be done.

Mods Include

Interior
01 Sport Seats
01 Sport Instrument Cluster w/LED's
Remote Start with Alarm installed by me.
Sony Head Unit
Pioneer Speakers in the front
Cerwin Vega Speakers in the rear
Kicker CVX 10" 1200 Watt max subwoofer
JL Stealth Subwoofer Box
Rockford Fosgate p500-2 1000 Watt max amp
LED Interior lighting (Dome Lights)

Exterior
Bug Deflector
Billit Grill
Fully Debadged
Roof Rack Removed
Side Steps Removed
18inch Rims
Stock turn signals to clear corners (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=87602)
Tinted 3rd Brake Light
Tinted Tail Lights

Performance
5.0L V8 Swap
Mac CAI bought from VroomZoomBoom
Custom Exhaust

Engine
Replaced Both Upstream O2 Sensors 3/19/2014

Suspension
4 Door Leaf Pack
2 inch lowering blocks in the rear
Caster/Camber adjusters
Custom length sway bar end links
TT in the front
KYB Gas-a-Just shock in the rear.

Transfer Case & Differential
4406 Manual Shift 4X4 T-Case Swap
Custom Rear Drive Shaft bought from VroomZoomBoom with u joint Precision 354 at axle and Precision 232 at transfer case
F150 front drive shaft with conversion u joint Precision 353 at axle and Precision 354 at transfer case
D35 w/4.10 open
8.8 w/4.10 Traction Lock

Lighting
Fog lamps modded to stay on with high beams
HID Head Lights
Led Puddle Lights
Led License Plat Lights
LED Strip Under Hatch

Mods Coming Soon

Performance
Electric fan
TM Headers
1 inch Intake Spacer

Exterior
Black Powder Coated Billit Grill
Black Head Light with diamond lenses retro fitted with projectors.
Color Match Trim to body color

Lighting
HIID Fog Lights
22" Cree LED Zombi Lights

Interior
Add Zombie Lights Switch
Add Reverse Lights Switch
Add Inverter Switch

I will keep this first post updated with mods as I can. Thanks for looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the Cold Air Intake I bought form VroomZoomBoom showed up faster then I thought. It showed up today.
20130304_134318.jpg

And of course it had to be installed ASAP.
20130304_154948.jpg

Well I guess it was a good thing I installed this today as I discovered a crack in the side of my radiator.

Awesome I like the wheels

Well the Cold Air Intake I bought form VroomZoomBoom showed up faster then I thought. It showed up today.
20130304_134318.jpg

And of course it had to be installed ASAP.
20130304_154948.jpg

Well I guess it was a good thing I installed this today as I discovered a crack in the side of my radiator.

great, glad it finally got there, and your happy with it. :thumbsup:

Awesome I like the wheels

I really like them too. I think they fit the truck very well. like I said they are off of a 2010 ford ranger.

Great looking sport! Like the Ranger wheels and the Cold Air intake!

Yea I can't wait to lower it. I'm hoping to lower it tonight.

Will those wheels fit a gen II four door? I really like the look of those factory wheels. I have the 3 spoke 16" factory wheels that I've never liked, and would like to upgrade to them.

Yes the 4 door is the same bolt patteren. So they will fit. Most sets sell for around 1000 bucks.

Here is part of the stuff for lowering my sport. I still need to pick up some 2000 F-250 rear sway bar end links.
20130216_091534.jpg

20130304_222151.jpg

Well I did not get it lowered last night like I wanted to. Instead it developed a misfire. I also ended up with an EGR code. So last night I replaced my leaking radiator, one of my coils, and found a hole in one of the hoses for the DPFE sensor. Also while I had the code reader hooked up I found out that my tps was set at 1.01. So I set it to .96. The thing is running a lot smoother. Well hopefully it will get lowered soon.

Yes the 4 door is the same bolt patteren. So they will fit. Most sets sell for around 1000 bucks.

Was more worried about the offset, but after looking closely at the wheel it appears to have the correct (or close to the correct) offset so that it will fit fine. Thanks.

Well crap. I wish I had known newer ranger rims fit without spacers before I bought a set of wheels and tires.

Right now I am fight with a P0401 code. I found a hole in the line that goes to the dpfe senor so I fixed that. Well later that day after clearing the codes it came back. So I guess the next step is to replace the sensor.

OK so late last night/early this morning I got around to doing some work to the EX. First thing first what to work on getting the check engine light off. So I changed the dpfe sensor. My next step was to start putting the camber kits on. While I was going the camber kits I figured why not check the spark plugs. Well I'm glad I did they need replaced. I will put up a pic of them later. So after the front was done I replaced the sway bar end links with shorter ones. Then last thing for the night was to lower the rear and find my exhaust rattle. All said and done I think I had a productive night last night. Today after I get done with getting it aligned and giving her a much needed bath I will post so pics of her lowered.
20130309_005153.jpg

20130309_005144.jpg

20130309_033221.jpg

20130309_040342.jpg

If I remember right they are about 3 inches shorter. It was what ever length needed to level the sway bar back out. I want my handling to stay at it best. I still have to get the shorter ones for the rear too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shorter end links?......how much shorter?

Tim, find the length you need and cut down the tubes on your present set, then you can trim off the bolt end once they are installed. It may help against tire rub on the swaybar also.

Back