Engine stalled: "Low oil pressure" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wazdog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Ltd
Greetings everyone,

Just took delivery of a 2013 Explorer Limited Tuxedo Black with 302A and dual moonroofs last week. It's is indeed such a fantastic car. Stil can't get enough of playing with all the features. I'm from the Philippines and you guys won't imagine how difficult it is to get your hands on an Explorer. Not only do we pay full retail price (including our high taxes), the dealers force buyers to pay ridiculous rates for their in-house insurance, tint and car registration. Cost $67,000 overall. But that's another story. lol

On my way home from the dealer with my brand new Ex, it stalled on an overpass. A "low oil pressure" warning popped up on the left LCD screen and suddenly the engine would not accelerate. The brakes, steering, A/C, lights all worked. Luckily I was on a downward slope so I just coasted down to the middle of the highway, put my hazards on and called up my car sales agent. I restarted the engine and it worked as if nothing went wrong.

Ford took my car and gave a "thorough" inspection and did not find any problems and just gave it back. I'm definitely not satisfied with their response. I would've preferred if they found a problem so they can actually fix it. Do they expect me to just keep driving until it stalls again? Hope the next time it happens there will be no accident.

Anyone have experience with engine stalling accompanied by a low oil pressure warning? I'd really appreciate any insights or advice. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds as if it may have went into "limp" mode for some reason..I'm sure a low oil pressure would do it. There is a brief mention and discription in your manual. This would be a disturbing occurance, with nothing really found, but it hopefully is just a one time compter glitch...keep a close eye on it....best regards Plum

Greetings everyone,

Just took delivery of a 2013 Explorer Limited Tuxedo Black with 302A and dual moonroofs last week. It's is indeed such a fantastic car. Stil can't get enough of playing with all the features. I'm from the Philippines and you guys won't imagine how difficult it is to get your hands on an Explorer. Not only do we pay full retail price (including our high taxes), the dealers force buyers to pay ridiculous rates for their in-house insurance, tint and car registration. Cost $67,000 overall. But that's another story. lol

On my way home from the dealer with my brand new Ex, it stalled on an overpass. A "low oil pressure" warning popped up on the left LCD screen and suddenly the engine would not accelerate. The brakes, steering, A/C, lights all worked. Luckily I was on a downward slope so I just coasted down to the middle of the highway, put my hazards on and called up my car sales agent. I restarted the engine and it worked as if nothing went wrong.

Ford took my car and gave a "thorough" inspection and did not find any problems and just gave it back. I'm definitely not satisfied with their response. I would've preferred if they found a problem so they can actually fix it. Do they expect me to just keep driving until it stalls again? Hope the next time it happens there will be no accident.

Anyone have experience with engine stalling accompanied by a low oil pressure warning? I'd really appreciate any insights or advice. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum wazdog.:wavey:
Let's just hope that it was a one time computer glitch as plumbago alluded to. There is so much electronics in this vehicle it could happen although it really should not.
To make it easier for members to address future concerns/questions you may have, it would help if you showed which model/year you have in your profile so that it will show in the left hand margin by your forum name. Not all answers may apply to all models.
Good luck with your new Explorer and happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

I had this happen 1 time to my ex as well. The low oil pressure light came on but I did not lose any power. My dealership checked it out but found nothing wrong. It never happened again. I've got almost 39,000 miles on it now with no reoccurence.

...Anyone have experience with engine stalling accompanied by a low oil pressure warning?...

Hi wazdog,

Since you're in the Philippines, I recommend contacting Ford Philippines for assistance. They can be reached at +63 (49) 541 5000.

Crystal

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. The problem sounds identical to my issue but the message said "low engine pressure." I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything. I wish they had found something because it concerns me that it couldn't happen again when I'm driving on the freeway.

suggestions welcome.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. The problem sounds identical to my issue but the message said "low engine pressure." I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything. I wish they had found something because it concerns me that it couldn't happen again when I'm driving on the freeway.

suggestions welcome.
Welcome to the Forum Paisley. :wavey:
I don'thave an answer for you but it might help if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile. That way it would show in the left margin when you post. So far the posts about this issue have been from owners of a Limited.

Peter

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. The problem sounds identical to my issue but the message said "low engine pressure." I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything...

I'll get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager (CSM) so they can help, Paisley. To get things moving in the right direction, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I had this same low pressure warning one time while the car was rolling at ~10 mph under idle. It didn't stall but i pulled over, shut it off, and checked the level. All good to go so I started it back up and everything was fine. Never had it come back again.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but hopefully it's nothing and won't ever be back again!

I just got mine two weeks ago ,400 miles now.same thing happened to yesterday,I was stop at a stop sign,the light poped up and it counldn't accelerate,but it run by itself with a slow speed,then I parked at roadside restart it everything back to normal.

I just got mine two weeks ago ,400 miles now.same thing happened to yesterday,I was stop at a stop sign,the light poped up and it counldn't accelerate,but it run by itself with a slow speed,then I parked at roadside restart it everything back to normal.
Welcome to the Forum dl33542.:wavey:
I think I still would let the dealer know about the problem so it can be documented. There may also be a fault code stored. I think the lack of acceleration is a form of self protection where some of the cylinders deactivate.

Peter

Low Oil Pressure

I have a 2013 Explorer, it has 60000 miles. I've had no problem until the past two weeks,

While driving it, the Low Oil Pressure light, lights up and it kills the engine. Ive taken it to a Ford Dealership twice for the issue, and they've called within 30 minutes of having it to tell me there's nothing wrong.

Yesterday the technician quoted me, "Its going to get worse before it gets better"

Anyone else have issues with this? We have a medically needy child and travel weekly anywhere from 300-800 miles to appointments so we need a vehicle that wont leave us stranded.

Welcome to the Forum eziegelmaier.:wavey:
On a positive side, the engine protection system seems to be working.
I'm surprised that the techs didn't find any codes stored for this problem. I'm no mechanic but it sounds as if it could be a faulty sensor. Obviously something is triggering the alert to shut down the engine.
Since you haven't entered the model of your Explorer in your profile so it show in the margin, I'm not sure what type of displays you have. I would recommend that you pay attention to the engine temperature display. The Explorer has a system that will deactivate a number of cylinders or kill the engine if it overheats. Because you haven't reported feeling any power loss before the engine shuts off, I don't know for sure if you're getting the overheating or not. As far as I know that is the only thing that would kill the engine to protect itself.

Peter

That is the most bogus diagnosis I have ever heard. Your vehicle is still under the powertrain warranty, they need to diagnose and repair the problem regardless if it is the oil pressure sensor, oil pump or a shot bottom half of the engine. Either it has low oil pressure or it does not, that is a pretty black and white issue.

If you continue to get the run around on it I would contact Ford and probably look to install a temporary oil pressure gauge in line with the current sensor to measure it while it is warm and running.

I have a 2013 Explorer, it has 60000 miles. I've had no problem until the past two weeks,

While driving it, the Low Oil Pressure light, lights up and it kills the engine. Ive taken it to a Ford Dealership twice for the issue, and they've called within 30 minutes of having it to tell me there's nothing wrong...

Hi eziegelmaier,

Welcome to the forum! Reach out to me via private message (PM) so I can get your regional customer service manager involved. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I too had the same problem with 2014 explorer XLT. I was parking on reverse and suddenly engine stopped with low oil pressure warning.Restarted and everything was normal in the display and could reverse further into parking lot. I have not driven it after that and was thinking of reporting to agency before driving.

Now that I have seen this post I will drive it and report it at my next service.The mileage is currently close to 19K Kms.

2014 Sport died on me (low oil pressure warning)

I was 2 minutes from my house and a Low oil pressure warning came on. My car died 10 seconds later. I could not push my brake down at all to put my car into neutral to push it off the road. Has this happened to anyone else?

I was 2 minutes from my house and a Low oil pressure warning came on. My car died 10 seconds later. I could not push my brake down at all to put my car into neutral to push it off the road. Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit - Typo in the title. It's a 2014 sport
If you transmission was in 'D', you don't have to push the brake to shift to 'N'. If you has shifted to 'P' then you would have to press the brake. Not sure why the pedal couldn't be pushed down in either situation. Were you low on oil?
It would also help the members if you added the vehicle 2014 Sport to your profile so it always appears in the margin since not all models have the same features. If you still have the '07 FX35 you can add that to your signature block.

Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

If you transmission was in 'D', you don't have to push the brake to shift to 'N'. If you has shifted to 'P' then you would have to press the brake. Not sure why the pedal couldn't be pushed down in either situation. Were you low on oil?
It would also help the members if you added the vehicle 2014 Sport to your profile so it always appears in the margin since not all models have the same features. If you still have the '07 FX35 you can add that to your signature block.

Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

I was slowing down to stop when the low oil pressure warning came on. About 5 seconds later I came to a complete stop and I could not accelerate. The engine had obviously shut down on me. I put the car in P and I tried starting the car again but that didn't work. some people close by told me they would help push me out of the middle of the street but I could not get the car out of P and I could not push my brake pedal down at all. the first thing I did when I got out was check the oil and it wasn't low. it ended up being towed to the dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was slowing down to stop when the low oil pressure warning came on. About 5 seconds later I came to a complete stop and I could not accelerate. The engine had obviously shut down on me. I put the car in P and I tried starting the car again but that didn't work. some people close by told me they would help push me out of the middle of the street but I could not get the car out of P and I could not push my brake pedal down at all. the first thing I did when I got out was check the oil and it wasn't low. it ended up being towed to the dealership.
Thanks for the reply. That is very strange indeed about the brake pedal. Another member that posted here was able to restart the Ex okay but it seems that for some reason you encountered very different issues after stopping. It would be interesting to see what the dealer finds.

Peter

Back