2002 4x4 problems | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

Anybody wanna guess what club I just joined?...........LOL:D
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer

First heavy snow fall, I was all over the road. Funny thing is, I just put in a new trans.......go figure. Anyway, figured something was not plugged in.
Got home and started trouble shooting. Looked under truck to make sure all plugs where engaged. Checked the two 20 amp fuses under the hood, they checked out good. Put them back in and tried the dash 4X4 buttons and they worked. Light on dash lit, drove around and verified front tires where pulling.
Drove to work the next day with 4X4 High engaged. Truck dis-engaged half way to work.
Cleaned the contact points of the fuses and tried again. Same results. Truck engages 4X4 High and 4X4 Low, dash lights lit, but after a couple minutes the dash lights go out.
Guess I'll call silverstate and order a new 4X4 CM with my vin. Door sticker is too weather worn to make out the build date.
Thanks to all the members for posting up their details and especially the pics

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Were you driving on clean pavement with 4x4 Hi on?

Finally got my 4x4 working a few weeks ago. I was hesitant to blindly replace the module since there doesn't seem to be too much troubleshooting you can do in your driveway. I found one on amazon for ~$155 and decided to bit the bullet, and that fixed it. It's been much better so far even though rain is the only condition I've put it through.

That's probably why, hopefully the 4hi disengagement was a fail safe and nothing was ruined. Try it again on dirt or gravel to see if it engages, if it does then put it back in auto mode. Only turn on 4hi if you're off road or on snow covered roads. Might have a chance to test it out tomorrow :thumbsup:

This thread has a good explanation:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380714

I drove my '02 Explorer to work this morning on nasty, snowy roads with no 4wd, aware that it has been out of commision for a few months. While I ate lunch, I read through this thread with great interest. I was getting close to ordering a new module when I came across the "disconnect battery/reset" cure. I decided to give it a try and sure enough, it did the trick! Just in time, too, since it's been snowing all day and we have a foot of new snow on the ground. The roads are still a mess and with several big hills to get up, I couldn't have fixed this at a better time.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and updates to this thread.

That's probably why, hopefully the 4hi disengagement was a fail safe and nothing was ruined. Try it again on dirt or gravel to see if it engages, if it does then put it back in auto mode. Only turn on 4hi if you're off road or on snow covered roads. Might have a chance to test it out tomorrow :thumbsup:

This thread has a good explanation:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380714

Well another snow storm today without 4x4. If I pull the fuses, the two 20amps under the hood, wait a couple, then plug them back in, everything is fine for about 5 minutes. Trying to order the module tonight, but the lines are busy.
Wanna give the parts guy my vin before ordering.

Sure glad I got my new 2013 Explorer Sport sitting in the driveway :)

**edit**
module ordered tonight from Silverstate, will ship out monday
btw.....price is now $194.00 before shipping

The roads are still a mess and with several big hills to get up, I couldn't have fixed this at a better time.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and updates to this thread.

Glad you got it working! My truck finally felt like a real truck when I got 4x4 back.

Well another snow storm today without 4x4. If I pull the fuses, the two 20amps under the hood, wait a couple, then plug them back in, everything is fine for about 5 minutes. Trying to order the module tonight, but the lines are busy.
Wanna give the parts guy my vin before ordering.

Sure glad I got my new 2013 Explorer Sport sitting in the driveway :)

**edit**
module ordered tonight from Silverstate, will ship out monday
btw.....price is now $194.00 before shipping

I had similar problems after resetting. I would press the 4hi button and the dash would light up, but as soon as I took my foot off the brake the whole 4x4 system was dead until I turned the ignition off/on. I was holding out because I planned to test the speed sensors etc. but I got lazy and took a gamble on the module which did fix my problem. I didn't have much snow on the roads yesterday morning (Springfield) but I took a few extra side roads just for fun.

After reading several pages in this thread, I'm not sure I have the same problem, yet maybe related..
I have an 02 XLT with 130K miles on it. My son was using it for a while and said he notice a heavy whine when rolling to a stop. Sounded as if it had shifted itself into low. No dash or indicator lights, just bad handling and some noise. To get rid of the problem and continue on his trip, I recommended he pull fuse 17 and 18. Whine was gone and he was able to continue in 2wd.
Later I diagnosed a problem requiring rear wheel bearings and while at the shop the mechanic said he thought that problem might be related to uneven tire wear. The rear's were newer and different from the fronts (prev owner) and so I agreed and added two more tires to the bill. Today I decided to put the fuses back in and see if the tires were the problem.
Fired up and tested 4x4 for proper operation. shifted into high, and Lo in the driveway no problem. Put it back in auto and went for a drive.
All appeared normal for about 10 minutes, then on a calm 35mph drive on dry roads around the lake, I felt it jerking and pulling slightly like it was trying to shift. As I drove up a very slight incline I heard a whine like a jet engine overhead.
That happened a couple more times on the way home.
No dash lights changed. Just the whine. Ran the 4wd mode test again in the driveway. All indications were normal.
I hate to spend 200 bucks on a module without any other symptoms pointing to it..
Ideas? Thanks

Glad you got it working! My truck finally felt like a real truck when I got 4x4 back.

I had similar problems after resetting. I would press the 4hi button and the dash would light up, but as soon as I took my foot off the brake the whole 4x4 system was dead until I turned the ignition off/on. I was holding out because I planned to test the speed sensors etc. but I got lazy and took a gamble on the module which did fix my problem. I didn't have much snow on the roads yesterday morning (Springfield) but I took a few extra side roads just for fun.

I got 3-4 inches of heavy wet snow here, my street was unplowed/salted. Spun all the way up my driveway.
Shoveled my and neighbors sidewalk after work. Then I reset (unplugged the fuses) and went out to play. Punched the truck out in the street in front of the house, and the truck just chit and went! LOL Drove around for a few minutes and noticed the 4x4 high light was out. I'll get the new module by the end of the week, but hopefully this years snow will be over:)
By next years winter I won't mind salt on the new truck

After reading several pages in this thread, I'm not sure I have the same problem, yet maybe related..
I have an 02 XLT with 130K miles on it. My son was using it for a while and said he notice a heavy whine when rolling to a stop. Sounded as if it had shifted itself into low. No dash or indicator lights, just bad handling and some noise. To get rid of the problem and continue on his trip, I recommended he pull fuse 17 and 18. Whine was gone and he was able to continue in 2wd.
Later I diagnosed a problem requiring rear wheel bearings and while at the shop the mechanic said he thought that problem might be related to uneven tire wear. The rear's were newer and different from the fronts (prev owner) and so I agreed and added two more tires to the bill. Today I decided to put the fuses back in and see if the tires were the problem.
Fired up and tested 4x4 for proper operation. shifted into high, and Lo in the driveway no problem. Put it back in auto and went for a drive.
All appeared normal for about 10 minutes, then on a calm 35mph drive on dry roads around the lake, I felt it jerking and pulling slightly like it was trying to shift. As I drove up a very slight incline I heard a whine like a jet engine overhead.
That happened a couple more times on the way home.
No dash lights changed. Just the whine. Ran the 4wd mode test again in the driveway. All indications were normal.
I hate to spend 200 bucks on a module without any other symptoms pointing to it..
Ideas? Thanks

Iam no expert, but that doesn't sound like the shift module. With a bad module the truck reverts to 2 wheel drive.
Hopefully somebody will chime in and help, but do some searching for "transfer case problems" here. Lots of great info on this site
I didn't experience any gear whine with mine.
Good luck

rgr that FG, I 'll give it a look. I don't like that sound...
Curt

Received my shift module and locking gas plug for the 13 Sport Friday.
As has been posted, no more than a 30 min job, start to finish installing the shift module under the dash. Wish I took pics, but it was 38 outside and I wanted to finish up and hit happy hour :)
Fired up the truck to check operation, but no test drive
Suppose to be cold and rainy next week, so I'll drive it to work, for a test drive.

Many thanks to all whom posted symptoms of bad shift module and best place to purchase

Hello everyone. I'm currently having the same problem that "pdaoaudio" was having earlier in this post and I've read the rest of the way through with no solution or remedy on how his or her issue was rectified.

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L 4x4 (Auto, High, Low Buttons on Dash). I believe the truck is stuck in 4wd high. I have no issues with shifting into 4wd Low, no issues shifting back out of 4wd low, I can shift in and out of 4wd high and the dash lights all go on and off like they should but when I hit the Auto button, nothing changes compared to 4wd high except the light is off on the dash. The front driveshaft moves even when I'm crawling slowly in a straight line. I've replaced the 4wd control module and the transfer case electronic shift motor and there is no difference. When in Auto, it's stuck in 4wd high. Does anyone have any suggestions on possible remedies? I've even done the "Brown Wire Mod" and that didn't matter either. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Adam

The front shaft will spin because there are no front wheel hubs to unlock (such as those found in older vehicles), so it's all "live" into the transfer case. Is there any other indication that it's stuck in 4hi? If so check your tire pressure and measure the diameter of each tire at the proper pressure. If either one is off the computer might think the wheels are slipping and its trying to transfer power to the front wheels.

Ok, I'll try measuring the tire diameters. There is no difference in the driving behaviors of the vehicle whether its set in 4hi or in Auto. I can hardly turn without the normal binding that's expected when in 4hi. It seems like its never off. I've read about possible speed sensor issues. The only code I've received was P1812 from the 4wd system. My apologies for not posting that in my first post. Does that code spark any possible reasons for 4hi to be constantly on? The only things I haven't replaced are the 4wd switch actuator on the dash and the entire transfer case itself. I did the "Brown Wire Mod" which prevents the Auto from kicking in. This is why I think it's stuck in 4hi.

Well, as it turns out, the transfer case is locked in 4wd. The replacement cost for a rebuilt unit is $1,600. Since I just replaced the tranny with a rebuilt just 3 months ago, I don't want to fork out another big payment at the moment.

Can anyone confirm if the truck would be OK being driven without the front driveshaft? The mechanic removed it and the binding stopped but he wouldn't leave the driveshaft removed due to obvious liability issues. Can I take it back out and be fine driving it until I decide to either sell it or replace the transfer case?

Thank you,

Adam

I have an 02 Explorer that is stuck in 4 lo. Is there a way to manually take it out of 4lo and put it back in 2hi or auto 4 wheel?

I would suggest a junk yard. My lights for my 4x4 would randomly work and eventually stopped all together. Never wanted to bite the bullet for $200 on a new module off ebay that MIGHT fix the problem. Went to a couple junk yards and got one off a 2003 explorer for $20.
Also, when you are replacing the module I suggest unscrewing the bracket that holds the module on. It is only two simple screws, one right in front of your face and I found that getting the other was easier to simply reach under the glove box and up (while it was still open so you can see). Then put the bracket on the one and back on it goes. Took about 20 mins of tool searching and trying the other way before realizing how easy it really was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Want to post up my experience and hope it helps or saves some money.

I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer 4.6 Explorer. I had to have a new battery installed as mine was shot. Lo and behold, when I got the truck back, the 4x4 did NOT work. I found this thread and a few others, and rolled the dice and bought a guaranteed exact match on ebay for $104 shipped. I got the new 4x4CM and installed it, with the battery unplugged. I hooked the battery back up, no STILL no 4x4. Before changing 4x4CMs, I DID have a 4x4 LOW light during ignition on, but now nothing. So I contacted the ebay member, who refunded my money and told me to just toss the box (I have great feedback so he didn't doubt me). Puzzled, I check all fuses, all were good. SO.. I disconnected my battery, turned my lights on to drain any current out of the truck's system, hooked my old box back up, and waited about 5 minutes. Hooked my battery back up, and lo and behold, I now had all 4x4 functions working properly and still do. So my advice, try what I tried last, first. Might save you a hundred dollars or two, it's worth a shot.

Back