Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90

I figured I better start a new thread, as my old thread goes on forever detailing my 4.0 ohv M90 install, motor rebuild (Funny thing about that), etc. Here's the original thread that brought me to this point: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345617

The issue I am currently having with my M90 install is that I am attempting to increase boost, but cant get the intake charge cool enough. I tried water/meth and had limited results. James with Henson performance just cant do anything more with the tuning till iat's come down.

So, Ron at RPCaster (Building an intercooler for me), and Tim (Vroomzoomboom) who is going to perform some magic on a hood cowl (It was either that, or a body lift to get the additional height for the intercooler). These are the two components I am not able to do myself.

I have detailed logs of my iat's, and am going to do a dyno session before and after install. This will give some great real world numbers.

I'll detail the whole thing as I go (The good, the bad, and the ugly).

For starters. Here is what Just came in the mail.

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,132

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here was my first mistake, buying a ebay pump. Note the size of the ebay pump compared to the bosch pump. Don't buy the ebay pump. If you really want to, buy it from me (Ill give you a great deal, cost of shipping. You will probably still hate me afterwards).

Here is a thread on header panel removal to get at the front rad support for mounting the intercooler radiator. It looks pretty straight forward.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122644

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20130410-00151.jpg
    Winnipeg-20130410-00151.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 988

The Bosch pump is from a gt500 or from a range rover lm3...

Awaitimg your inputs.. Very interessting

I figured I better start a new thread, as my old thread goes on forever detailing my 4.0 ohv M90 install, motor rebuild (Funny thing about that), etc. Here's the original thread that brought me to this point: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345617

The issue I am currently having with my M90 install is that I am attempting to increase boost, but cant get the intake charge cool enough. I tried water/meth and had limited results. James with Henson performance just cant do anything more with the tuning till iat's come down.

So, Ron at RPCaster (Building an intercooler for me), and Tim (Vroomzoomboom) who is going to perform some magic on a hood cowl (It was either that, or a body lift to get the additional height for the intercooler). These are the two components I am not able to do myself.

I have detailed logs of my iat's, and am going to do a dyno session before and after install. This will give some great real world numbers.

I'll detail the whole thing as I go (The good, the bad, and the ugly).

For starters. Here is what Just came in the mail.

Here was my first mistake, buying a ebay pump. Note the size of the ebay pump compared to the bosch pump. Don't buy the ebay pump. If you really want to, buy it from me (Ill give you a great deal, cost of shipping).

Here is a thread on header panel removal to get at the front rad support for mounting the intercooler radiator. It looks pretty straight forward.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122644

Parts look good.man that ebay pump looks REAL cheap.your be happy with the new pump and cooler.they work very well.can't wait till rp gets the ic done.

The Bosch pump is from a gt500 or from a range rover lm3...

Awaitimg your inputs.. Very interessting

All ford sc applications use that pump and many others.its was designed specifically for supercharged applications.I've run it for about 2 years now problem free;)

I do have the pump sitting in my garage and waiting for the sc upgrade...
My system is a xcharger need a sc...

Here's a teaser of Ron's work. Gives you an idea of exactly how much work Ron puts in to his products.
The intercooler box will mount on top of my existing SC mount, then the intercooler core will slide in from the drivers side.

Hope Ron doesn't mind me posting his work.

Attachments

• intercooler manufacturing.jpg
    intercooler manufacturing.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 893

I do have the pump sitting in my garage and waiting for the sc upgrade...
My system is a xcharger need a sc...
If the xcharger m90 has the same mount as the supercoupe m90, this is going to bolt right on.

If the xcharger m90 has the same mount as the supercoupe m90, this is going to bolt right on.

I believe they are different. Same as the 5.0 xcharger I think.I wonder what he is planning on using that pump for? If he has a ic maybe it will work for tim also

Here's a teaser of Ron's work. Gives you an idea of exactly how much work Ron puts in to his products.
The intercooler box will mount on top of my existing SC mount, then the intercooler core will slide in from the drivers side.

Hope Ron doesn't mind me posting his work.

Have you played around with where your going to mount the front cooler any yet? See your tabs are all on right on the cooler;)

No, I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to get the front off and start figuring out the mounting.
At least I can reinstall the front header panel/headlights quickly (if I'm not done my radiator/pump mounts in a day), I just wont reinstall those bolts that go in from the wheel-well side.

No, I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to get the front off and start figuring out the mounting.
At least I can reinstall the front header panel/headlights quickly (if I'm not done my radiator/pump mounts in a day), I just wont reinstall those bolts that go in from the wheel-well side.

Like I said all I did was take the grill out.had plenty of room to work.I didn't even use the right tabs, only mounted using the top, left side and one bottom one.

Like I said all I did was take the grill out.had plenty of room to work.I didn't even use the right tabs, only mounted using the top, left side and one bottom one.
Ok, I'll start by removing my grill and see if there's room. That would be by far the easiest and fastest solution.

JD, did you run an overflow on the IC radiator? I wonder if it would ever build pressure? I'm thinking of just tieing in to my radiator overflow. Its not like there would be a constant exchange of fluids between the engine and intercooler.

Also, any clue what the pressure relief is on the rad cap? All I see stamped on the cap is '1.3'.

JD, did you run an overflow on the IC radiator? I wonder if it would ever build pressure? I'm thinking of just tieing in to my radiator overflow. Its not like there would be a constant exchange of fluids between the engine and intercooler.

Also, any clue what the pressure relief is on the rad cap? All I see stamped on the cap is '1.3'.

I did not.that was my plan to run it to the rad overflow tho but that water never gets that hot, maybe only a degree or two over ambient on mine.I've never lost any fluid.I think I asked about the cap but can't remember, think it was low tho like 6-8lbs.in my ic I run like 2/3 chill water and 1/3 antifreeze.Basically a mix that just covers me to about 30*.I don't run any plain water and it never really gets that cold here.the chill water or whatever its called has a lower freeze point than water, said to help run around 15-20* cooler than water.I also run it in my radiator;)

May be slightly off topic and Im sure you have already said, but can you tell me your WOT AFR? What is the target at WOT for the OHV? around 12.8-13.2 or so? still wondering what could be causing your severe detonation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Target AFR at WOT is between 10.8 and 11. Its normal in a forced induction situation to make the A/F Ratio rich as compared to naturally aspirated.

James did richen everything up more on the last tune he sent me to try to cool off combustion a bit. End of the day, ton of timing has been pulled out, and Im running rich.

So? Inter-cool, or reduce boost.

I'm really curious to see the 'after' once the inter-cooler is in place.

Back