Need New Tires

radman

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Camby
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie 5.0
:exp:After about 65K miles my old Goodyear's are getting lumpy. What do you folks recommend for a mostly highway driven car used in the snow and ice Midwest. I would like something a little quieter than the Wanglers also.

Has anyone tried the Goodyear Silent Armor tires?

Thanks
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard good things about Firestone Destination LE tires from a friend. I have no personal experience because I always go All Terrain instead. I imagine almost all All Season tires are about the same. You probably can't get worse than goodyear. They are junk.

I like the BF Goodrich all terrain or land terrains

Can't say what brand is best. But I'll be buying some soon and have been doing some research. Seems that Exploders are sensitive to vibration. I'd suggest finding a shop that uses one of the new loaded pressure balancing systems. It not only measures balance, but checks that the tire is basically round. Get the spec for max out of round/balance before you buy, and ask to see the report after they balance. That's what I plan to do.

What do you folks recommend for a mostly highway driven car used in the snow and ice Midwest.

You need two sets of tires. One for highway, the other for winter/snow.
None of the "highway" tires will handle well on snow.

General Grabber AT2's

:exp:After about 65K miles my old Goodyear's are getting lumpy. What do you folks recommend for a mostly highway driven car used in the snow and ice Midwest. I would like something a little quieter than the Wanglers also.

Has anyone tried the Goodyear Silent Armor tires?

Thanks
Mike

You did not specify which wrangler you have, but if they are the Wrangler RT/S they are JUNK. Worst tire I have ever had on a truck.
That said, not all GoodYears are Wrangler RT/S.
I have gone through a set of the Wrangler Silent Armor, they are a great tire. Smooth riding and quiet on the interstate, nice steering feel and response, and reasonable off road all terrain traction/cleaning. Also decent stop and go ice traction, I was suprised. We get more ice storms and only occasional dustings of snow in middle TN. And they are tough. Tough.
I can say that the Michelin AT2 are an ok tire, not as good or well rounded as the Silent Armor's. While it rides okand the noise is ok, the steering is less responsive and there is less traction all around. Less grip in the rain, ice, dirt.
Before that I had Bridgstone Revo2's. Crap tire much like the RT/S. Hard riding, noisy, no grip regardless of terrain or condition, always out of balance, pulling one way or another like it needs an alignment, and CONSTANTLY getting punctures from minor road debris. and they wore out quick. The only thing better with the RT/S is they wore well.
These are all of an All Terrain type tire that I have on my F-150 that is driven mostly on highway and around a variety of construction sites including residential developments (nails and other debris) to cross country pipe lines (mud, dirt, rocks, holes etc.).
On my Ex, which is 98% on road (including dirt roads & grass) it has discontinued GoodYear Fortera Triple Treads. Amazing grip in all conditions. Simply amazing. Even when my last set was to the point of needing replacement, I drove through 18" of snow without ever spinning a tire. Steering is also spot on with great feedback and response. They are also very tough, my wife and I have picked up many peices of debris that required plugging, but never a flat and hardly ever a loss of pressure. The only drawback is they ride a bit stiff, like there is and extra couple psi in them. I only mention them because I beleive they have been replaced with an "Assurance" model line from GoodYear.

Good luck and don't be afraid to visit Tire Rack.com. You can find ratings from tests and read user reviews on the tires your interested in as well.

Just bought General Grabber AT2s for a set of 16s I have. 255/70 R16. Perfect look and size and everything. tires are a little noisy but my exhaust is louder. the tires are amazing though. and a reasonable price too.

Rt/s

Thanks for the response. I do have the Goodyear RT/S on my EX they have been on there since Ford put them on at 13K miles to replace the Firestone's that were causing all the roll-over concerns. I agree with everything you say about them especially the wear life, now with 90K I do not want anymore of them.

I like your handle (66427) I myself have a 64427 FE.
Mike

I've never been pleased with a Goodyear tire. I've had ATS and RTS goodyears. They just don't last.

The Goodyear Wrangler RT/S was what was put on my Explorer due to the recall when my parent's owned it.

One of the first things I did after I got it was replacing those dismal Goodyears...

bfg long trails...recommend them to most trucks and suvs at my shop.

I've never been pleased with a Goodyear tire. I've had ATS and RTS goodyears. They just don't last.

I got 87k miles out of my RT/S Wranglers on my Explorer, which was way more than I wanted really. Wore like iron, rode like iron. Grip was nonexistant on any surface, any weather condition.

45k out of my Fortera Triple Treads on my Explorer. The improvement in noise and ride comfort was well worth the "longevity". Beyond that, I would much rather sacrifice the wear for the extra grip in EVERY situation. My second set has about 3k on them.

45k out of my Wrangler Silent Armor on my F-150. Again, with the grip these things have, well worth it.

bfg long trails...recommend them to most trucks and suvs at my shop.

I hope they have improved them over the years, the Long Trails that came factory on my F-150 were crap. They were quiet and comfortable enough, but spung leaks easily and wore out fast, about 30k. crap traction for acceleration from a dead stop, dry or wet, and the ABS kicked in quick too.
Granted, I upsized from 235/75-16 to 255/70-16 at my first tire change which helps some, but it's a axtra cab 4X4 with a 4.6 two valve and 3.55's. Not exactly the performance model the Long Trails would lead a bystander to think.

its tough to say what tire wears good and what doesnt. everyone drives differently, every car/truck is different. at my shop ive had many customers have great luck with the long trails. great mileage out of them and they always wanted them again. just my .02 haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had quite a few sets of tires and I am most impressed with Firestone tires. I'm currently running a set of 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/Ts. Have about 10k on them so far and they still look great. Prior to that I had a set of Firestone Destination LE in I think P255x75. Both are great tires. I put about 80k on the Destination LEs. Only reason I didn't get them again is I wanted something a little more aggressive.

Before those, I put about 90k on a set of Michelin LTX M/S in 30x9.5. They were ok, but terrible in wet weather. I had to be real careful when turning and accelerating, or the rear would fishtail. This stopped with the Firestones.

My wife has a set of Kumho tires (not sure which ones) on a Nissan Murano and they are almost bald after like 30k miles. Would not buy these again. My dad has the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor on his Jeep Wrangler and they seem good, but he's only put about 9k on them so far, so I can't speak to their longevity.

Back